Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gt1racer

join:2008-11-19
Fall River, MA
reply to MarvinMagic

Re: NJ- Weather Channel HD Local on the 8s and other local info

847 here in MA still shows National Info and Satellite Forecasts, i was told by both TWC and Comcast New England that it might be awhile (2013) until NE sees the IntelliStar 2.

cast sucks

@dsl.net
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

mmm no, I don't think so, maybe it was Weatherscan?

weather channel stars do not run windows.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

Most don't but some do. Not important anyway.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

You know what I've been thinking about this topic all week and I've come to the conclusion that although I do wish to get the Local on the 8's in high definition, I certainly do NOT miss the computer voice cutting into the music played durinng the segment like is done on the standard definition version. If they could get rid of the damn voice in the HD version then this will be a good thing.

deannnnn

join:2011-07-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to MarvinMagic

I just moved out of an apartment in Manhattan that I lived in for two years. Manhattan is of course a Time Warner Cable area, and when I moved in I did have Local On The 8s on the HD feed, but after a few months it went away -- no idea why. It was never true Local On The 8s though anyway. It didn't give nearly as much information as the SD version gives. Then it just switched to the national feed, which is also what I get on Comcast here in South Florida.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
reply to MarvinMagic

Im sure if they told Dell the specs to make them, Dell could produce them in 2 days.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

It really doesn't take much hardware horsepower to do this task either in a small/ultra small form factor desktop or even in a rack server.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Guess nothing has occurred yet? I still think that Comcast should try harder to give more customers the Local on the 8's in HD but without the voice over telling the viewer what the heck is on the screen when obviously they can read the description

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

You know what I've been thinking about this topic all week and I've come to the conclusion that although I do wish to get the Local on the 8's in high definition, I certainly do NOT miss the computer voice cutting into the music played durinng the segment like is done on the standard definition version. If they could get rid of the damn voice in the HD version then this will be a good thing.

haha no the voice was not computer generated on the intellistar actually it was an employees voice that was working the weather channel back in 2002-2003 time frame.

The new intellistar uses Jim Cantore as the Intellistar 2 Voice AKA Weather Channel HD grapic overlay.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Guess nothing has occurred yet? I still think that Comcast should try harder to give more customers the Local on the 8's in HD but without the voice over telling the viewer what the heck is on the screen when obviously they can read the description

Not everybody has good sight and can see the video. Also, many just have it on in the background, and the audio is very helpful.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to MarvinMagic

Now that TWC is playing vocal music on the locals the HD Feed is unbearable to watch.

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
reply to MarvinMagic

I just switched from Comcast to WOW after 15 years. Have their Ultra TV. The weather channel has Local on the 8's in High Definition. Also ultra has the Arris media system with 6 tuners.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to motorola870

Your right. I know that the voices were recorded by TWC staff announcers Allen Jackson and Amy Bargeron, but what I meant by computer voice were the recordings themselves. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherscan
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_on_the_8s
»weatherchannel.wikia.com/wiki/Lo···n_the_8s

But still, I don't like the music being cut off, especially when they're good songs. At least with the national feed its a good solid 2 minutes of pretty visuals and uninterrupted music.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to andyross

Should be optional?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Gerard1234

WOW has the IntelliStar HD?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

Get directv if you want that.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Hell no.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

... The new intellistar uses Jim Cantore as the Intellistar 2 Voice AKA Weather Channel HD grapic overlay.

His voice is not good for that. He does not know how to tone down the drama in his voice when things are calm. He always seems to talk as if there were a weather crisis in progress.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to MarvinMagic

I think either Mike Bettes or Carl Parker should've been used instead of Cantore.

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
reply to Joe12345678

YEP

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to camper

said by camper:

said by motorola870:

... The new intellistar uses Jim Cantore as the Intellistar 2 Voice AKA Weather Channel HD grapic overlay.

His voice is not good for that. He does not know how to tone down the drama in his voice when things are calm. He always seems to talk as if there were a weather crisis in progress.

have you even heard the channel audio on the LOT8's in HD his voice is not dramatic.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Any word on when we're getting the local 8's in HD? Any updates anyone?

gt1racer

Fall River, MA
reply to MarvinMagic

i'll try and contact the Xfinity Boston Director of PR and see if he has any new info for me regarding local information in HD.

gt1racer

Fall River, MA

Reply from The Weather Channel's Local On The 8's Support.

"Unfortunately, the Comcast rollout of HD locals continues to be stalled. No dates for implementation yet."