uniqs
share rss forum feed

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

[HSI] Existing CATV customer - self-install HSI?

I have Charter cable now with all the HD channels and such. I would like to ditch my Windstream DSL but as far as I know, Charter doesn't allow self-installation for internet service.

I think it is ridiculous that a professional is required to connect the cable from the wall into the modem, and to plug in my computer's LAN connection. That is hardly rocket science.

Through searching I see where in the past it was possible to buy a Charter self-start kit at Walmart. If that's still the case I'll gladly do that. It would be such an easy task to switch if I could just pick up a cable modem at the local office, go home, and connect it.

Barring this possibility, I'll stick with DSL just because I don't have to do anything. It's there and it works, even if it is more expensive for slower speeds. In fact, I was "allowed" to install that myself and it requires no more skills than a cable modem does.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
Before the end of June you could do that. Charter will give you a modem so they will insist on installing it. If you're going to stick with DSL even though it's slower and more expensive over this issue well that just crazy in my book. Seriously that borders on insanity. What's the big deal, a guy comes out and installs it?

crohakon1

@charter.com
If you have Digital Home or TV Select or higher you CAN do a self install. They can ship you a modem via Fedex or you can go to a local office and pick it up yourself. While charter DOES require you use a charter modem they do NOT require professional installation if you already have the cable packages listed above or higher as no filters are on your line and it is connected to the tap.

If you just have Basic cable, they may need to send a tech out due to the fact that your line has a filter on it and that may need to be altered to allow the Internet signal into the home and the tech needs to check the connection inside the home after the filter is altered.

Hope that helps!

INtheKnow

@charter.com
reply to MooJohn
Reason being that most self installs require a follow-up service call and alot of negative customer feedback. So having a technician come out with a calibrated signal meter and configure your coax network so that the modem meets signal level requirements makes sense and will save you frustration in the long run.

speedxdesign

join:2010-02-25
Alexandria, MN
Yes, because there has never been frustration from a customer after a tech installed something. lmao.

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to INtheKnow
If this was 1960 I'd agree. Coax cable is not a mystery even to my grandparents who are in their 80s. There is no fancy signal distribution network at my home. There is a single 2-way splitter that would feed the TV and the modem. Wiring done. Charter's obligation is to get a clean signal to the exterior of my home (which they have done beautifully, btw). Anything after that is my problem and I'm totally ok with that.

It's an interesting corporate viewpoint to assume that all self-installations will be poor. Even if 50% of them were done incorrectly, rolling trucks only to those people would instantly cut down on half of the service visits. It doesn't take a genius to see the labor savings here. The Maytag man doesn't show up to plug in every new refrigerator, right?

The time to break out the signal meter is if there is a problem. The modem will self-diagnose anyway and first tier tech support can see instantly if it's a signal or noise issue. A 2 minute call to tech support is still cheaper and more efficient than rolling a truck.

It's easy to stick with DSL because I don't have to do anything. I was "allowed" to install it myself, which consisted of plugging it into the phone jack (that I was "allowed" to wire myself) and powering it up. I don't have to schedule an appointment to have someone come in and perform a basic task for me. I'm a small business owner and work six days a week. The fact that I've been in IT for 15+ years just makes it more absurd that I would need help with the two connections on the modem. If you're familiar with George Carlin's bit about airplane seatbelts, it fits here.

BTW, I had "professional" installation done at my business. Charter's contractor dropped his flashlight into an interior wall and cut out a chunk of drywall to retrieve it. "I'll be back later to patch that" was the last thing I ever heard from him. I've run miles of cable in my day and never had to do anything like that but hey, that's because I'm an amateur!
--

INtheKnow

@charter.com
I didn't mean to offend your intellect, but most people and i would dare say your gramps included think they can go down to the local Radio Shack and grab a shiny gold splitter and some crimp on or screw on connectors and their good to go. Then after making the connection all of the modems in the node shut down due to the noise caused the one self install. And the majority of homes have more than one outlet so splitter configuration is much more important. So if you must do install your self have everything ready let the tech hand you the modem & check everything outside while you connect. He can Check modem from his PDA after modem sync. He can note on WO that you refused entry into home and if service call is required later you'll be responsable for accompanying charges. If its the installation fee that bothers then call a service call in on existing tv and then get tech to install modem. Tech will get commission on sell and Fee will be waved.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to MooJohn
Charter is in the money making mode again. They have raised the price of internet to include the Modem, Wire maintenance and 30meg service minimum.

Now when they come to your house from the 2011 price list.
Installation reconnection/
Change of service 49.00
Extra outlet for Modem 10.00
Possible labor charge 33.00

So self install = $0 for charter
Charter install = $59 to 92 Plus the extra new monthly FEEs that you can not drop like modem rental and wire maintenance as it is now in the base price.

So if you think you have an outlet ready to go, i would go the office and add internet and pick up the modem and try the install yourself if possible, then if you have problems it is just another service call.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to MooJohn
I've done many self-installs as I've moved into many places with the cable line still active, I plug my modem in and go to the local office and they activate it without ever sending anyone out, a few days later someone does stop by to trap the cable channels though.

I say it all depends on your local office and if they will give you a modem, splitter, and 2 pre-made coax cables (one to go between the wall jack and splitter and another to go between the splitter and modem, connect the existing wire from the STB to the other leg of the splitter.)

My experience with DSL has always been they test it at the demarc/NID and say you're on your own from here. I wish cable was the same way.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Premium
West Tenness
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Charter is in the money making mode again. They have raised the price of internet to include the Modem, Wire maintenance and 30meg service minimum.

Please quit spreading FUD.

Old pricing for 30 Meg with modem rental $65
Old pricing for 30 Meg with owned modem $58
New pricing for 30 Meg includes modem $50.

INtheKnow

@charter.com
reply to mmainprize
Along with the new pricing for service which in most cases saves money for the customer. The installation and service fees also dropped to a single charge of 19.99 or 29.99 no matter what is done while at call. If you get the triple play wire maint. is included at no charge.
Since it is latter part of 2012 why would i want 2011 prices?

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by mmainprize:

Please quit spreading FUD.

Old pricing for 30 Meg with modem rental $65
Old pricing for 30 Meg with owned modem $58
New pricing for 30 Meg includes modem $50.

So you seem to have forgot that you could get internet for less than $50 a month it was not 30MEG, it was less, and you did not need to be a new customer. The point was that now 30meg is the minimum so for me it is more then before. The other point was they charge for the install most of the time and now they will have many more installs if they don't let people do self installs.

I did not get a updated price list in my bill yet that is why i used a 2011 price list. The TV packages web page don't have install prices.

Premium
West Tenness
said by mmainprize:

So you seem to have forgot that you could get internet for less than $50 a month it was not 30MEG, it was less, and you did not need to be a new customer. The point was that now 30meg is the minimum so for me it is more then before. The other point was they charge for the install most of the time and now they will have many more installs if they don't let people do self installs.

15 meg was $55 with modem rental so it was MORE expensive than the current 30 meg. 15 meg with your own modem was $48. $2 fricken difference. Whopp dee doo. By the way for that extra $2 you go from 100 GB cap to 250 GB so even you dismiss the speed increase that alone is worth it.

As far as the $25 3 meg tier. Very few even had that. Those that need something like need to go elsewhere. By the way Charter has a promo where you get 30 meg for $30 for a year.

I did not get a updated price list in my bill yet that is why i used a 2011 price list. The TV packages web page don't have install prices.

So? TV pricing is cheaper anyways. If you think Charter is such a rip them leave already.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
My 15 meg is/was $29.99 dollars a month , you can only get that price now if you are a new customer. So $50 is a $20 increase for me.

Yes there were resellers of 1 and 3 meg at a much lower discount. As far as i know now of these lower prices for current customer is available anymore.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to MooJohn
Have you checked with your local office? That is the first place you should go for any information.

I was just at my local office yesterday swapping my digital box for a new DVR and the internet self install kits were sitting in the display counter.
--
Google is your Friend

Premium
West Tenness
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

My 15 meg is/was $29 dollars a month ,

because you were on promo. Standard price for 15 meg was $48, $55 if you rented a modem. You can't compare your promo price to Charter's new pricing without a promo. You need to compare apples to apples.

As far as needing to be a new customer to get a promo price, my reply is....... so what? Do you know what the definition of PROMO is? A promo price is meant to be a TEMPORARY price. Once your promo period is done you go back to regular pricing. I'm not sure why you think you should get PROMO pricing forever.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
"because you were on promo."

That is the point it seems there is no more promos for us long time customers. I am/was on a triple play/bundle/2yr price package, if that is a promo then so be it. I have been on one these for years.
You keep showing old list prices, who in there right mine had been paying those old list prices that were over inflated to get you to buy a bundle.

It will cost me more not less, so it is not less for me and other like me. That is the bottom line. You can make all the stories you want to but i am not going to agree with your thinking.

Premium
West Tenness
said by mmainprize:

That is the point it seems there is no more promos for us long time customers. I am/was on a triple play/bundle/2yr price package, if that is a promo then so be it. I have been on one these for years.
You keep showing old list prices, who in there right mine had been paying those old list prices that were over inflated to get you to buy a bundle.

It will cost me more not less, so it is not less for me and other like me. That is the bottom line. You can make all the stories you want to but i am not going to agree with your thinking.

So in other words if Charter doesn't give you a promo price forever you are being fucked over? Why bother with a promo then just make 30 meg $30 a month since no one gets the concept that that price isn't meant to be forever. In fact I suspect people like you are the VERY reason why Charter no longer does promos because you expect that pricing forever. As I said if it's so bad go elsewhere. Issue solved.

OK say McDonald's has 30 day promo where Big Macs are $1. Using your logic McDonald's should continue to give you $1 Big Macs after 30 days because if they don't they are fucking you over and "forcing" you to pay more.

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Dogg
said by Dogg:

Have you checked with your local office? That is the first place you should go for any information.

Well, I was there upgrading to a DVR maybe 5-6 months ago. When I asked about installing my own cable modem you would think I asked if I could remove my own appendix in their lobby.

---

I often hear that cable installs are ruined by cheap dime store splitters & cables. If that's such an issue, why doesn't Charter sell these things at the office? I would pay for a quality splitter and cable that is available right now vs. ordering online. I'd buy it while I was there picking up the modem for my self-install. Hell, throw a few pieces together to make an "installation kit." Most people are going to use an existing drop for their modem anyway.

It's not really a money issue. They could charge me the install fee even if I did it myself and I wouldn't care. It is true that I prefer not to have anyone in (or under) my home installing anything. Mostly it's the inconvenience; I would have to miss work or interrupt my already non-existent sleep just to watch a guy screw in a few cables and say "Yep, it works."

It's no more complicated than connecting a water hose to a spigot. It shouldn't be made into an issue that requires NASA's involvement to get online. There are situations where a pro would be required but for the majority of single-family dwellings it is a quick plug and play proposition -- or should be anyway.

At work I added Voice service to my Charter Business internet and I couldn't be happier. It also required professional installation. That consisted of cutting the existing coax in the drop ceiling, installing a splitter, and running a new line six feet down the exterior of the wall to where the phone interface was mounted. That's it. It hardly required a MIT degree to accomplish but I couldn't be allowed to do that, even though I still had to connect it to the building's telephone wiring -- which I also installed myself.
--

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by mmainprize:

So in other words if Charter doesn't give you a promo price forever you are being fucked over? Why bother with a promo then just make 30 meg $30 a month since no one gets the concept that that price isn't meant to be forever. In fact I suspect people like you are the VERY reason why Charter no longer does promos because you expect that pricing forever. As I said if it's so bad go elsewhere. Issue solved.

OK say McDonald's has 30 day promo where Big Macs are $1. Using your logic McDonald's should continue to give you $1 Big Macs after 30 days because if they don't they are fucking you over and "forcing" you to pay more.

It is always the same with you. It is no point.

The issue is $30 bucks to $50 buck a month is a 66% increase. I have had Charter internet for about $30 a month for many years, so it was not a 30 day promo, it has been the price i have been paying. This type of increase make people fell like they are getting screwed and will make me think about what my options are when the time comes and the new higher price kicks in.

Maybe i will get a Mobil phone with a data plan for $50 buck a month and drop Charter HSI and Phone, maybe i will also drop Charter TV and go Direct TV. Charter is the only HSI option in my area so i have no other HSI choice, We have no DSL.

Charter needs to be competitive and not just go for the high end user and then Limit that user with a CAP. There is no reason charter could not offer a lower speed/price package. Times are hard and not everyone can afford there new base price.

Think about this, it is now 50 a month minimum for HSI. Where TV is not much more but with TV they have to pay the content provider much more then they do for the HSI data providers. TV takes more bandwidth per user then HSI does. Is it really costing them this much to provide HSI.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to MooJohn
Threadjack RANT:

I know everyone gets on BF69s ass for his comments. But in this case, I agree. PROMO = promotional (ie: limited) It applies, or should to new customers and is used as an incentive to attract new customers.

I don't understand how or why everyone believes they are entitled to PROMO pricing forever.

Regular price is regular price. That is what everyone (except new customers) should be paying. Charter does/used to provide a discount for customers with multiple services. Then they started the 1 and 2 yr contracts, which were often at a discounted price.

And, again as pointed out above, you cannot compare the new REGULAR price to your old PROMO or CONTRACT price and state the price has increased.

Pricing historically has and still does vary by location. So individual prices can vary, but the prices noted above apply to the majority of the Charter footprint. If you have been at $30 for as long as you believe, then you are one of the many that has fallen through the cracks (in a good way obviously, because that price is too low). Which brings up another reason for the changes. Charter wants EVERYONE on the same pricing. That eliminates all of this bickering and complaining, and will likely greatly reduce their call volume from all of the existing customers calling up and trying to get a PROMO price.

As for being competitive, that also varies by location. In the St Louis area, Charter pricing (as noted above) is equal to what is offered by other providers.

/RANT OVER

@OP

I've always gotten the best information from my local office.

The self install kit has all of the needed hardware and the modem. No real reason for Charter to sell hardware to individuals as any needed hardware is supplied by them at the time of installation. Or in this case, in the self install kit.
--
Google is your Friend

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

said by Dogg See Profile
I don't understand how or why everyone believes they are entitled to PROMO pricing forever.

Because long time customers think they should occasionally get thrown a bone for being a long term customer (as opposed, for example, to a provider jumper), and there's a strong sense of entitlement in today's society.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
There is another thing called loyalty pricing, at least with DirecTV. Once you've been a customer so long one can get pricing that is cheaper than the new customer deals.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Now when they come to your house from the 2011 price list.
Installation reconnection/
Change of service 49.00
Extra outlet for Modem 10.00
Possible labor charge 33.00

So self install = $0 for charter
Charter install = $59 to 92 Plus the extra new monthly FEEs that you can not drop like modem rental and wire maintenance as it is now in the base price.

So if you think you have an outlet ready to go, i would go the office and add internet and pick up the modem and try the install yourself if possible, then if you have problems it is just another service call.

As was stated once, but I feel like stating it again, install fees going forward appear to be 29.99.

Also, service visit fees appear to be 45.00.

Note, that in cases where the problem is on Charter's side of the demarcation point, or the problem was with Charter's equipment, there is no charge for a service visit.

So you only get charged for a service visit if the issue is customer related (wrong input on TV, failed self install, loose cables, et cetera) or if it is due to faulty cabling inside of the customers home. 45.00 one time for repairing your in house wiring is actually quite fair.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

Because long time customers think they should occasionally get thrown a bone for being a long term customer (as opposed, for example, to a provider jumper), and there's a strong sense of entitlement in today's society.

Right, and how many bones does Charter have to throw? Over the years how many times has charter silently increased bandwidth without raising the normal rate for the service? Is that not throwing a bone?

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

I would recommend giving them a call. You might find that with the new pricing the normal every day rate might be the same, or extremely close, to what you are paying now in the 2yr price package. Would you be willing let me know what services (premium channels, equipment, phone or no phone, et cetera) you currently have? I dug up a lot of their new pricing information for another post and might be able to give you a decent idea. Also, if you have phone please provide tv and internet taxes and phone taxes separate.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

If this was 1960 I'd agree. Coax cable is not a mystery even to my grandparents who are in their 80s. There is no fancy signal distribution network at my home. There is a single 2-way splitter that would feed the TV and the modem. Wiring done. Charter's obligation is to get a clean signal to the exterior of my home (which they have done beautifully, btw). Anything after that is my problem and I'm totally ok with that.

It's an interesting corporate viewpoint to assume that all self-installations will be poor. Even if 50% of them were done incorrectly, rolling trucks only to those people would instantly cut down on half of the service visits. It doesn't take a genius to see the labor savings here. The Maytag man doesn't show up to plug in every new refrigerator, right?

The time to break out the signal meter is if there is a problem. The modem will self-diagnose anyway and first tier tech support can see instantly if it's a signal or noise issue. A 2 minute call to tech support is still cheaper and more efficient than rolling a truck.

It's easy to stick with DSL because I don't have to do anything. I was "allowed" to install it myself, which consisted of plugging it into the phone jack (that I was "allowed" to wire myself) and powering it up. I don't have to schedule an appointment to have someone come in and perform a basic task for me. I'm a small business owner and work six days a week. The fact that I've been in IT for 15+ years just makes it more absurd that I would need help with the two connections on the modem. If you're familiar with George Carlin's bit about airplane seatbelts, it fits here.

BTW, I had "professional" installation done at my business. Charter's contractor dropped his flashlight into an interior wall and cut out a chunk of drywall to retrieve it. "I'll be back later to patch that" was the last thing I ever heard from him. I've run miles of cable in my day and never had to do anything like that but hey, that's because I'm an amateur!

You can do a self install of internet still so long as you subscribe to expanded basic or higher for TV. The reason a professional installation is needed when you do not have this level of TV service is that they need to remove or adjust filters applied at the pole or pedestal. Since they are altering the connection to the tap and the tech is in front of the customers home already it only makes sense to make sure that the customers in home network is setup correctly also since they may have never had the service at the location before, or for a long time (wiring and splitters do degrade over time), it is beneficial to test also.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Before the end of June you could do that. Charter will give you a modem so they will insist on installing it. If you're going to stick with DSL even though it's slower and more expensive over this issue well that just crazy in my book. Seriously that borders on insanity. What's the big deal, a guy comes out and installs it?

This is not true. Yes, they require you to use a Charter provided modem but they only require professional installation if no existing Expanded Basic service or higher is present.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

It is always the same with you. It is no point.

The issue is $30 bucks to $50 buck a month is a 66% increase. I have had Charter internet for about $30 a month for many years, so it was not a 30 day promo, it has been the price i have been paying. This type of increase make people fell like they are getting screwed and will make me think about what my options are when the time comes and the new higher price kicks in.

Maybe i will get a Mobil phone with a data plan for $50 buck a month and drop Charter HSI and Phone, maybe i will also drop Charter TV and go Direct TV. Charter is the only HSI option in my area so i have no other HSI choice, We have no DSL.

Charter needs to be competitive and not just go for the high end user and then Limit that user with a CAP. There is no reason charter could not offer a lower speed/price package. Times are hard and not everyone can afford there new base price.

Think about this, it is now 50 a month minimum for HSI. Where TV is not much more but with TV they have to pay the content provider much more then they do for the HSI data providers. TV takes more bandwidth per user then HSI does. Is it really costing them this much to provide HSI.

Here is the thing... Look at your bill. Your internet is 47.99 (maybe 54.99) and there is a promotional discount bring it to 29.99.

Here is the scenario...
Customer: Why are you raising my prices?!
Agent: Your promo has ended.
Customer: If you don't lower my price I am leaving! This is a rip off!

So the company has two options... Bend their arse over the table to meet your demand or tell you to pay the fair market price for the service. Keep in mind... 49.99 a month comes out to 1.67 a day. I bet you spend more on coffee, pop, or a bottled water a day. For 1.67 a day you get access to the world. Is it really a rip off?

Where is your loyalty as customer?

As it seems, Charter is standing up for itself and asking people to pay the fair market value for the service. However, they did it in a damn nice way. They double the bandwidth for essentially the same price (if you were leasing a modem, the price dropped.)

I also have to laugh when every I hear someone bring up getting a data plan with their phone for house hold internet. Enjoy the limited band width, much higher prices, and bandwidth reductions when you hit the amazing low cap.

You could also get 1Mbps or 3Mbps with a satellite internet company for over 100.00 a month.

If 1.67 a day for internet access is to much for you, maybe the internet is just not a good investment for your time. You don't NEED internet.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to crohakon1
said by crohakon1 :

said by whoaru99:

Right, and how many bones does Charter have to throw? Over the years how many times has charter silently increased bandwidth without raising the normal rate for the service? Is that not throwing a bone?

I don't know...I'm a good, albeit perhaps lazy customer. Seldom complain (why since my service seems pretty good all in all) and haven't asked for a promo for a long, long time.