how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to MooJohn

Re: [HSI] Existing CATV customer - self-install HSI?

Some folks are trying to SIDE TRACK one of the MAJOR
POINTS that is being made, which is that there are a fair amount of customers that DO NOT WANT OR NEED more than perhaps 3mb- 5mb down /1mb up service and if we have been a long term reliable customer (pay on time in full every month for a long period of time with the company, we should get some consideration.

I originally signed up with Internet lite 1mb for $20 /mo and no contract and was COMPLETELY satisfied with that level or service and would still be happy to have it with that rate and terms.

Why should the customer pay for more service then they need?

Does Charter really want to lose long term reliable customers by not considering their needs?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by 15444104:

Some folks are trying to SIDE TRACK one of the MAJOR
POINTS that is being made, which is that there are a fair amount of customers that DO NOT WANT OR NEED more than perhaps 3mb- 5mb down /1mb up service and if we have been a long term reliable customer (pay on time in full every month for a long period of time with the company, we should get some consideration.

I originally signed up with Internet lite 1mb for $20 /mo and no contract and was COMPLETELY satisfied with that level or service and would still be happy to have it with that rate and terms.

Why should the customer pay for more service then they need?

Does Charter really want to lose long term reliable customers by not considering their needs?

Yep, I think Charter needs a 5mbps/1mbps plan at a $25/mo standard non promo all year round rate.

I think a plan like that would compete well with the 6mbps/768kbps ADSL UVerse and the 6mbps/1mbps VDSL UVerse that are both $24.95/mo for 12 months with AT&T.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA

By raising their speeds they are also valuing their product higher. In my area, they are competing with U-verse, which IMO has no long term ability to compete with cable. This is also why they are no longer dong repeat promos. Charter's lowest cable tier is higher than the fastest U-verse in my area. They have repositioned themselves as a higher quality competitor and therefore believe they don't need to extend their customer retention that far.

That being said, if there was some REAL competition in my area I'm sure they would be more willing to deal promo rates to keep customers (Cough Fios Google Fiber Cough).

The choices are: 6MBS ADSL, 18MBPS Uverse, 30/100mb Charter.

Im sick of hearing these Charter fanboys complain that other people expect promo prices. I can understand these other peoples' gripe because in the past, at least for me, they would always be willing to renew the promo after the term expired.

And yes, I was a 90% satisfied with my service but that doesn't mean I'm in the situation to not care what I pay. A good majority (including my friends) don't even look at the bill. I recommend these people do one of three things: 1)drop them if you don't need the speed 2) pay the bill or 3) cancel and sign up in your spouses name.

Problem solved.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

higher quality provider? rotflmao. When I had ATT DSL I had one outage in a year. With Charter I've had 4 outages in the past 3 months. DSL is more reliable than cable by design with its dedicated link to the switch. also dsl will work longer than cable in a extended power outage as the batteries for the line amps go dead for cable the telco switch usually has a generator and no need for line amps. Do note im talking about dsl NOT Uverse.
--

haggelz

Glendale, CA

said by TheTechGuru:

higher quality provider? rotflmao. When I had ATT DSL I had one outage in a year. With Charter I've had 4 outages in the past 3 months. DSL is more reliable than cable by design with its dedicated link to the switch. also dsl will work longer than cable in a extended power outage as the batteries for the line amps go dead for cable the telco switch usually has a generator and no need for line amps. Do note im talking about dsl NOT Uverse.

Charter's advertising angle is speed, not reliability. I've also had a few outages this year, but it depends on the area. And it used to be way worse. Surely the speed is why you're with them since 6mbit dsl is only 19.99.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by haggelz:

sing angle is speed, not reliability. I've also had a few outages this year, but it depends on the area. And it used to be way worse. Surely the speed is why you're with them since 6mbit dsl is only 19.99.

No, I'm with them because I moved outside the range of DSL and they are the only option. I was doing fine with 6mbps/768kbps for $24.95.

I have 15/3 right now for $19.99/mo, once the promo is over I don't know what I'm going to do.
--

haggelz

Glendale, CA

said by TheTechGuru:

said by haggelz:

No, I'm with them because I moved outside the range of DSL and they are the only option. I was doing fine with 6mbps/768kbps for $24.95.

I have 15/3 right now for $19.99/mo, once the promo is over I don't know what I'm going to do.

well it according to their retention practices now it seems like they would be willing to let you go...unfortunately I don't think cellular as a cheaper alternative for you.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by haggelz:

well it according to their retention practices now it seems like they would be willing to let you go...unfortunately I don't think cellular as a cheaper alternative for you.

This is why I think the FCC needs to get involved and require them to offer a basic plan at a capped price even if they only have to offer it to their customers that do not have a alternative.
--

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

You must remember that everyone of power at the FCC will be looking for a job/consulting/lobbyist position at the companies they regulate after their job/appointment runs out. They are not going to jeopardize this. Look at net neutrality rules for instance.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by kherr:

You must remember that everyone of power at the FCC will be looking for a job/consulting/lobbyist position at the companies they regulate after their job/appointment runs out. They are not going to jeopardize this. Look at net neutrality rules for instance.

Then how bout the Public Utility Commission.
--

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to TheTechGuru

Does it actually cost that much less to provide you the service at say a 5M/512K plan than a 30M/4M plan? I'm guessing not, but what do I know.

The other thing is that if the price were capped it's not like Charter is going to eat it, it'll just be pass to other Charter customers or perhaps somehow paid by taxpayers.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by whoaru99:

Does it actually cost that much less to provide you the service at say a 5M/512K plan than a 30M/4M plan? I'm guessing not, but what do I know.

So you're saying it costs more for Charter to provide internet services than it does for AT&T or even other cable companies? How is that?
--

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

said by kherr:

Then how bout the Public Utility Commission.

All depends how the franchise agreements read. The bare-bones tiers that ATT had where concessions to a merger/spin-off. An example where the FCC/DOJ actually did something for the consumer, but were never enforced. The U.S Government ...... the best money can BUY.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

said by whoaru99:

So you're saying it costs more for Charter to provide internet services than it does for AT&T or even other cable companies? How is that?

I will answer your question, after you answer mine.
Expand your moderator at work