spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrianC

@bhn.net

[Internet] Internet Speed Problems - Orlando

I just switched to Brighthouse this past Saturday from Comcast. I am in the Avalon Park neighborhood which switched the HOA contract from Comcast to Brighthouse. I have a Scientific Atlantic EMTA which goes into a Linksys EA4500.

I subscribe to MLB.TV and have for the past couple of seasons to watch the games on my Apple TV. This evening, the quality is simply terrible and it has everything to do with my internet connection. If I run a speedtest on speedtest.bhn.net from my hardwired desktop computer, I get 4.83 Mbps down and 2.01 Mbps up with a ping of 38ms. On regular speedtest.net, I get 5.27 down and 1.91 up with a 40ms ping. I get that these are not entirely accurate but I am paying for the 20Mbps service and this is not even remotely close. I unplugged (from the power source) my Apple TV and tried the speedtests again. My times were very similar with absolutely nothing else running on the network. I tried resetting the modem as well, same speeds.

I find it very hard to believe that it is something on my side of the network as I have probably watched 100+ games through Comcast without a single problem like this. I even watched last night's game and probably Sunday's game (I can't remember) through Brighthouse with no problem.

Is it just a problem with the Brighthouse servers tonight? Is it because of the influx of new customers to the network in the neighborhood? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
Brian

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
said by BrianC :

I just switched to Brighthouse this past Saturday from Comcast. I am in the Avalon Park neighborhood which switched the HOA contract from Comcast to Brighthouse. I have a Scientific Atlantic EMTA which goes into a Linksys EA4500.

I subscribe to MLB.TV and have for the past couple of seasons to watch the games on my Apple TV. This evening, the quality is simply terrible and it has everything to do with my internet connection. If I run a speedtest on speedtest.bhn.net from my hardwired desktop computer, I get 4.83 Mbps down and 2.01 Mbps up with a ping of 38ms. On regular speedtest.net, I get 5.27 down and 1.91 up with a 40ms ping. I get that these are not entirely accurate but I am paying for the 20Mbps service and this is not even remotely close. I unplugged (from the power source) my Apple TV and tried the speedtests again. My times were very similar with absolutely nothing else running on the network. I tried resetting the modem as well, same speeds.

I find it very hard to believe that it is something on my side of the network as I have probably watched 100+ games through Comcast without a single problem like this. I even watched last night's game and probably Sunday's game (I can't remember) through Brighthouse with no problem.

Is it just a problem with the Brighthouse servers tonight? Is it because of the influx of new customers to the network in the neighborhood? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
Brian

Please open a direct forums thread with the usual information so I can check your equipment. Thanks and see you there
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BrianC

@bhn.net
So before I posted that, I tested everything again to be sure that the problem was still there. I kept messing around with a bit but eventually went to bed. I then heard people talking outside of my window which scared the crap out of me (it was around 11PM). As it turns out, they were Brighthouse people...3 trucks were out in front of my neighbor's house. So apparently, it was something that Brighthouse knew about and were already in the process of fixing. Props for that! Everything is back to normal this morning. I will of course be back on this evening if my baseball game isn't streaming right.

Brian

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to BrianC
Let me know Brian...thanks!