jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Rant] SiriusXM customer service

When calling for customer service, if you don't want to be connected to the Philippines over a crappy phone connection to a bunch of overly polite people who will put you on hold and not really help you, just go for option #3 - cancel your service.

Selecting this option connects you to someone in the US who will answer your questions a lot quicker and maybe even get you a better deal on your subscription.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

I've always had decent luck with them. I usually call when my trial of 5-6 months ends and they bump me to full price. Within minutes they start negotiating and offering me deals.

They have a 2 month free deal going on if anyone is interested.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to jjoshua

I like how they call you "Mister 'first name'". When I lived in TX people called me Mr. Mark, but it isn't typical elsewhere. My fiancee of many years lives in The Philippines and I love their civility. She's never raised her voice with me, nor have I ever raised my voice with her. Sure, we have tit tats, but usually they usually last a few moments and we're both tearfully apologizing pretty quickly. She's such a good egg.

I don't mind overly polite, they are just trying to do a good job and most Filipinos are so desperately poor (many are squatters and go days without eating, even WITH a job, if they are so lucky as to HAVE a job) that they walk on glass in their job. Think about that before complaining about one of them being too nice. In their culture being nice even when you want to smack someone is a big deal, smooth interpersonal relations is like a religion to them, it is a cardinal sin to have a confrontation.

It is a big challenge for someone in another country to learn our language (most Filipinos speak at least some English, but it is still usually a third language for them, they have to learn the language of their island/city/region, the national language (completely different), English, and sometimes Spanish and even Chinese. You try that sometime! And then, on top of that, they have to learn our culture (much of which goes against their core values when it comes to interpersonal rules) and our idioms.

Some of you will say "screw them, they are taking our jobs" and I understand that. But this is a country that used to be part of America, that is so emotionally tied to us that they literally love us and emulate us. Many girls dream of marrying American guys, not just because we have a better life, but because they love all things American and think American guys are very handsome and kind. Some there do dislike us, but most love us to the point where they'd fight for us in a fix. This isn't the same as some distant third world country, this is a sister nation, so don't get too angry when you deal with them, remember, they want to BE you.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

2 recommendations

said by signmeuptoo:

I like how they call you "Mister 'first name'". When I lived in TX people called me Mr. Mark, but it isn't typical elsewhere. My fiancee of many years lives in The Philippines and I love their civility. She's never raised her voice with me, nor have I ever raised my voice with her. Sure, we have tit tats, but usually they usually last a few moments and we're both tearfully apologizing pretty quickly. She's such a good egg.

I don't mind overly polite, they are just trying to do a good job and most Filipinos are so desperately poor (many are squatters and go days without eating, even WITH a job, if they are so lucky as to HAVE a job) that they walk on glass in their job. Think about that before complaining about one of them being too nice. In their culture being nice even when you want to smack someone is a big deal, smooth interpersonal relations is like a religion to them, it is a cardinal sin to have a confrontation.

It is a big challenge for someone in another country to learn our language (most Filipinos speak at least some English, but it is still usually a third language for them, they have to learn the language of their island/city/region, the national language (completely different), English, and sometimes Spanish and even Chinese. You try that sometime! And then, on top of that, they have to learn our culture (much of which goes against their core values when it comes to interpersonal rules) and our idioms.

Some of you will say "screw them, they are taking our jobs" and I understand that. But this is a country that used to be part of America, that is so emotionally tied to us that they literally love us and emulate us. Many girls dream of marrying American guys, not just because we have a better life, but because they love all things American and think American guys are very handsome and kind. Some there do dislike us, but most love us to the point where they'd fight for us in a fix. This isn't the same as some distant third world country, this is a sister nation, so don't get too angry when you deal with them, remember, they want to BE you.

Interesting story.

Are you a SiriusXM customer?
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

I like how they call you "Mister 'first name'". When I lived in TX people called me Mr. Mark, but it isn't typical elsewhere.

I think it's a pretty common practice everywhere actually amongst younger families. Think mid-20 something parents who have friends and their kids are in the 4-9 range.

My kids and everyone around calls the parents, Mr. "so and so" and Ms. "so and so." It helps bridge that gap in the parents mind, IMO, that they're not THAAAAAT old yet to use the last name.
--
Good evening!