spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ClydeKatt

join:2012-08-14
Erie, PA

Power Trouble starting desktop

System Info: MSI (Micro Star) 880GM-E41, Memory Type: 4 x 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC), AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (be) with the cooler on it, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series with fan and 900 watt power supply. My problems are this. When i go to start my pc at times it won't start, the fan on the graphic card will start to spin a little bit but acts like it don't have enough power to turn over. my pc doesnt start. I tried swapping the power and reset buttons, tried unplugging the case fans the small ones and the large one on the side, i have checked the wires inside each time and have yet to find a loose one or cut one, My comp does loose the dvd drive sometimes almost like the SATA cable looses connection, the power still works on it but it dont show up under my computer as even being there. where C drive etc are located.... i will usually have to turn the main power button off in back for about a minute and try and power on again, sometimes takes 3 to 5 times before it will start up, once running it runs great the heat stays down the power levels look good i am at a total loss and could use some outside views. thanks for any help....

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Whenever I see descriptions like this I always have to ask - what changed? If this was an existing build that was running well, what changed? Was this system ever running well? Is it a new build you're in the midst of debugging? If you provide some background, we might be able to help you better.

Regarding the SATA cable - did you change that out?

ClydeKatt

Erie, PA

1 edit

I changed the sata cable, and changed out the dvd with another one i had here, still has the same problem( this problem has been going on for a little bit even after built- maybe used cheap sata cord IDK). POWER ISSUE--- as for what changed is just the where i am using it. i had it at the shop now i have it in my living room. its only 9 months old(power supply), i am really wondering if running as much as it did there if the power supply is going bad, which doesnt sound right to me but could be. Its not dusty dirty or anything, clean as a whistle inside and has been since day one. maybe i am just trying to pull to much off my wall outlet here at home. I eliminated 2 plugs on the surge stick and it fired on the first try today, but its done that before also.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to ClydeKatt

The PSU would be my next suspect component.

Just curious, it's a pretty powerful PSU for what it's running, (probably a 550 watt - 700 watt would be more than sufficient). What brand is it?
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

bbear2
Premium
reply to ClydeKatt

So the issue started when you move the computer from your shop to your home and nothing else was changed. The power draw could be an issue depending on what else you have plugged into that circuit (not only the buss strip). You can validate this with a simple killawatt tool »www.amazon.com/P3-International-···l+a+watt. Or you could simply remove the other loads on that circuit and see how it goes.

If you do that and still have the issue, then I would suggest removing as much as you can and still have a mostly usable system to see if the problem still exists. Even remove some of the memory, etc.

If possible, you could always bring it back to the shop as is and run it there for a while. If no issues, then you know for certain it's something at home.

ClydeKatt

Erie, PA

well i think i got it figured out,i eliminated some more of the plugs in my 2 surge protectors, and the PC seems to be firing up perfect now every time. so it seems i was just trying to draw to much power from my outlets, I hope. and why do i have a 900 watt supply, cause i plan on upgrading this to the max, it will hold way more and better stuff than i built it with to start.

ClydeKatt

Erie, PA

and thank you to those who responded it all helped.

bbear2
Premium

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you now.