SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

AC Vents smell like Cat when turned on

My girlfriend says when she turns on the AC the house smells like a cat or something... My brother in law came by and he says he smells something as well..

She just moved into the house, what can be wrong or what needs to be fixed?

Thanks
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Check the evaporator coils (indoor coils) for cleanliness. It can get smelly if there's a buildup of nasties on there, as the condensation on it allows the nasties to remain damp, which can cause smells.

Also check filter.

If that doesn't seem to be the source of the smell, maybe there's a dead critter somewhere in the duct work.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Smells like a cat? What does a cat smell like?
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by Moffetts:

No kidding. I have 2 of them and have no idea what cat smell is. The only smell they have is urine which smells like ammonia.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Ok, well I meant to say cat piss or something...

Thanks TheMG..

I just don't know where to look

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Clean the coils if possible, replace/clean the filter. Let the air run non-stop for few days, if not needed in cooling then just as circulating fan.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Oh I think he means amonia or what I remember it as old bleach (You know when you use bleach to clean a floor or something and much much later the smell changes to sort of acid moldy?)

By AC vents I bet you mean forced air ducting? You should replace the filter with something nice. If the smell persists after a while, it means there's something in the duct.
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I had this happen to me once. I had a really old cat (she was put down shortly after this incident because she was so old [19 yrs] and had a brain tumor) who peed in the vents a few times.

Whenever I turned on the heater, it made the place smell horrible.

But if she's the only one that smells it, I have no idea what it could be. When it happened at my old house, there was no mistaking. Everyone could smell it.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I recommend removing the filter and spraying Lysol into the AC intake. Be generous with the Lysol, it works best if the AC is operating and the evaporator coil is wet. I had one AC that the first time I sprayed the coil the condensate drain line clogged up with dead sludge from the evaporator coil. If Lysol does not work Pet Smart has some aerosols to nullify pet odors.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
It's funny how "cat people" get immune to the smell of cats.

99% of the time, I say duct cleaning is a scam. I think the only time it does any good is after a fire or if the house was total squalor (animal hoarders, etc...).

If she just got the house, who knows? Especially if it was a flip. Usually flippers only address cosmetic things (sugarcoat) to get the house sold. They won't do anything that can't be seen and wont add value (such as duct cleaning).
Maybe her house is of the 1% that is a good candidate for duct cleaning.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Toss it and buy a new one!
NEXT!!!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by Moffetts:

No kidding. I have 2 of them and have no idea what cat smell is. The only smell they have is urine which smells like ammonia.

Anyone who doesn't have a cat and visits you can tell. You get used to it, like cooking with garlic.

Same goes for dogs.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by DataDoc:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by Moffetts:

Anyone who doesn't have a cat and visits you can tell. You get used to it, like cooking with garlic.

Same goes for dogs.

I have two dogs and a cat. I know exactly what dogs smell like. Can't say the same for cats.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to SuperNet

to SuperNet
We have horses, dogs, cats, and kids.

Horses and dogs both smells the same when wet. Cats don't seem to have any smell at all except for cat litter and lucky for us they do that outside most of the time.

If the cats have scat in the vent pipes you will want to replace the pipes themselves as that can be a health risk.

Kids on the other hand smell like whatever they have been playing with. Wet horse, dog, grass, or swimming in the pond, for instance.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

Thanks TheMG..

Start with the Carpet?

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 recommendation

dolphins to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Leave that house and never look back. There is no way of knowing where the cat or cats have sprayed and even if you did know where, you'd still be faced with the task of removing everything that was sprayed e.g. rugs, wood flooring, etc. They are nasty, dirty creatures and should never have been domesticated.

The smell of cat spray makes me nauseous. The only scent I found to be equally offensive or worse is ferrets.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Change the filter. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

It's funny how "cat people" get immune to the smell of cats.

Same as people where their house smells like a pet store but they smell "nothing". Heh, our dog isn't allowed in the house until she dries off (if she was outside and got caught in the rain or got wet otherwise).
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Let us know if you figure the cause. Also curious if its something the inspector should have found.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
Methamphetamine production can also leave behind a cat like ammonia smell.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

My girlfriend says when she turns on the AC the house smells like a cat or something...

She just moved into the house,

She should have checked that before moving in. Is this a rental or a lease or a just purchased home??

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
It was ceiling cat....

caffeinator

2 recommendations

caffeinator to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Leave that house and never look back. There is no way of knowing where the cat or cats have sprayed and even if you did know where, you'd still be faced with the task of removing everything that was sprayed e.g. rugs, wood flooring, etc. They are nasty, dirty creatures and should never have been domesticated.

The smell of cat spray makes me nauseous. The only scent I found to be equally offensive or worse is ferrets.

Seriously?

Man, you must be a really lovable person. I'd prefer you didn't breed.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

My cat is 11 years old and never sprayed!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by The Pig:

My cat is 11 years old and never sprayed!

Have you ever used a black light on your residence? What's the saying? Never say never. Check your place with a black light and I bet you will be surprised.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

I, too, had a cat which never sprayed. The trick is to neuter male cats before they reach puberty.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
remove cat from duct....DONE

lowlevel
join:2008-02-27
Kitchener, ON

lowlevel to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

Thanks TheMG..

My cat pee's in floor vents. If you have an unfinished basement, you can check the seams on the duct elbows or low points for the white-ish/yellow-ish crystalline residue of dried cat urine... Looking into the duct from above might not really be very obvious that there had been urine there, but feel around for grimey-ness/smell your hand for the urine/ammonia smells after feeling around. :/

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Here's some food for thought. My allergist told me no matter how good you clean after cats it will still take about 3 months before the place is considered cat-free. It takes that long for the stuff you can't remove by cleaning to dissipate.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to SuperNet

to SuperNet
It may be cat piss in the crawlspace or in or near an A/C duct. I had a feral cat take up residence in my crawlspace, and some mornings it smelled like cat pee in my living room. I guess it was marking it's territory under the house and the smell got into the house. One had laid on top of one of the flexible ducts in the crawlspace, and broke it apart where it was spliced. It cut off the heat to my addition and was blowing heat under the crawlspace all winter.