I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to SuperNet9

Re: AC Vents smell like Cat when turned on

said by SuperNet9:

My girlfriend says when she turns on the AC the house smells like a cat or something...

She just moved into the house,

She should have checked that before moving in. Is this a rental or a lease or a just purchased home??
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9

It was ceiling cat....

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to dolphins

said by dolphins:

Leave that house and never look back. There is no way of knowing where the cat or cats have sprayed and even if you did know where, you'd still be faced with the task of removing everything that was sprayed e.g. rugs, wood flooring, etc. They are nasty, dirty creatures and should never have been domesticated.

The smell of cat spray makes me nauseous. The only scent I found to be equally offensive or worse is ferrets.

Seriously?

Man, you must be a really lovable person. I'd prefer you didn't breed.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to dolphins

said by dolphins:

Leave that house and never look back. There is no way of knowing where the cat or cats have sprayed and even if you did know where, you'd still be faced with the task of removing everything that was sprayed e.g. rugs, wood flooring, etc. They are nasty, dirty creatures and should never have been domesticated.

The smell of cat spray makes me nauseous. The only scent I found to be equally offensive or worse is ferrets.

My cat is 11 years old and never sprayed!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by The Pig:

My cat is 11 years old and never sprayed!

Have you ever used a black light on your residence? What's the saying? Never say never. Check your place with a black light and I bet you will be surprised.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

I, too, had a cat which never sprayed. The trick is to neuter male cats before they reach puberty.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9

remove cat from duct....DONE

lowlevel

join:2008-02-27
Milton, ON
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

Ok, well I meant to say cat piss or something...

Thanks TheMG..

I just don't know where to look

My cat pee's in floor vents. If you have an unfinished basement, you can check the seams on the duct elbows or low points for the white-ish/yellow-ish crystalline residue of dried cat urine... Looking into the duct from above might not really be very obvious that there had been urine there, but feel around for grimey-ness/smell your hand for the urine/ammonia smells after feeling around. :/

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SuperNet9

Here's some food for thought. My allergist told me no matter how good you clean after cats it will still take about 3 months before the place is considered cat-free. It takes that long for the stuff you can't remove by cleaning to dissipate.

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to SuperNet9

It may be cat piss in the crawlspace or in or near an A/C duct. I had a feral cat take up residence in my crawlspace, and some mornings it smelled like cat pee in my living room. I guess it was marking it's territory under the house and the smell got into the house. One had laid on top of one of the flexible ducts in the crawlspace, and broke it apart where it was spliced. It cut off the heat to my addition and was blowing heat under the crawlspace all winter.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to SuperNet9

CIGARETTE SMOKE?

Expand your moderator at work

lowlevel

Milton, ON
reply to Draiman

Re: AC Vents smell like Cat when turned on

said by Draiman:

Here's some food for thought. My allergist told me no matter how good you clean after cats it will still take about 3 months before the place is considered cat-free. It takes that long for the stuff you can't remove by cleaning to dissipate.

Yeah, short of ripping out the carpet, sub-floor and hvac ducting... all you can do is wait the 3 (probably 6) months for it all to break down into non-smelly compounds.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by lowlevel:

said by Draiman:

Yeah, short of ripping out the carpet, sub-floor and hvac ducting... all you can do is wait the 3 (probably 6) months for it all to break down into non-smelly compounds.

The allergist said even doing that it's still 3 months. It gets into the drywall, paint, outlets, light switches, etc. Short of replacing the entire house time is the only cure. Not sure if that's true but given he's one of the top in the country I'd have to trust him.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to SuperNet9

Call Servicemaster or the like and have them fumigate the house. If they can get sewer smell out after a backup, they should be able to get rid of cat smell.

lowlevel

Milton, ON
reply to Draiman

Good thing we're just talking about trying to enjoy a new house without smelling cat piss everytime the heat or a/c comes on, eh?

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to caffeinator

said by caffeinator:

Seriously?

Man, you must be a really lovable person. I'd prefer you didn't breed.

Well someone does love me and I have already procreated, sorry to disappoint you. On the upside, I don't worship lower forms of life and my house doesn't offend people when they come to visit.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

jacko15

@rr.com
reply to UHF

UHF has the answer. My wife owns a cleaning service, and when things get really stinky, such as cat urine, that's who she calls. If there isn't a Servicemaster in your local area check the yellow pages, and call some of the big cleaning and restoration companies. They can do the job. Don't get too bummed out. I've dealt with this problem before, and know how nasty it can be, but it is solvable. Good luck!

SWLAWxGuy

join:2012-08-10
Lake Charles, LA
reply to SuperNet9

I'm voting for cat urine in the ducts somewhere. Pray that the thing didn't spray the heater, you'll wish you were dead the first time it comes on in winter.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 edit
reply to dolphins

said by dolphins:

I don't worship lower forms of life

--
Professional student pilot!

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to SWLAWxGuy

said by SWLAWxGuy:

I'm voting for cat urine in the ducts somewhere. Pray that the thing didn't spray the heater, you'll wish you were dead the first time it comes on in winter.

That's probably why they sold the house... and sold it in the summer, so that it will be a while before the heat needs turned on

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 edit
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

said by dolphins:

I don't worship lower forms of life

"Dolphins are not lower forms of life."

Wait for it...