uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@bhn.net

Tesla's Model S Runs In-Car Linux

Tesla Model S

Model S Display

Tesla CTO Talks Model S, Batteries and In-car Linux:

For most people who identify themselves as techies, Tesla's Model S is something of a dream car. The all-electric vehicle accelerates fast, can maintain a high top speed, has a range of up to 300 miles, and packs a 17-inch flat panel display with a Linux-based computer system that provides access to just about every aspect of the car's performance and entertainment system.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

IDGNS: Tell me about the software in the car.

JBS: We wrote most of the software in the car ourselves. All of the screens you see were programmed here, designed here, and we have a whole team of software engineers upstairs implementing that and making it a reality. We are using an operating system that is a version of something called Linux. That is open source, very robust standard, for the display and entertainment. For the control and motor and things like that, we don't have operating systems. They run in a lower level and are actually running C code, so we have engineers upstairs writing in the C programming language, building the control loops from scratch. We write it, we model it, we test it here.

IDGNS: So if the Linux crashes, the car won't go off the road?

JBS: That's a key point. The whole entertainment system, those touchscreens, all of the applications you might load are totally separate from the propulsion of the car. In fact you could, if you had to, turn off the screens in the car while driving and the car still drives just fine. You couldn't see your Google Map, but you could still drive and stop and do everything else.

Very exciting times.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to FF4m3
Tesla's been recruiting software developers in the bay area for a while now. I'd work there if they gave you a company car
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
kudos:3
reply to FF4m3
The battery story is interesting too. Obviously they would use Linux since they want to customize and not pay licence fees. The batteries OTOH are getting better by 6% per year and in 10 years will be cheaper and have a range of 600 miles. These cars are so quiet too.

Now if only the price-tag would drop to 20K....
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
I test-drove the Leaf. It felt like a really great car. I'd love to have one, but I cannot imagine paying $40k for a car that goes ~100 miles per charge and will be more than obsolete by the time it's paid off.
Tesla seems to have the most progressive cars with really reasonable pricing (comparatively.) I think maybe 500 - 600 miles range and around $30K miiiight convince me.

kleeman
Australian Expat

Nyack, NY
Yeah that would convince me probably as well. I did the sums once and you can save a lot of money on gas by plugging this in to the mains in your garage. Mains electricity is much cheaper per energy unit.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

Re: Tesla's Model S Runs In-Car Linux

the big breakthrough for electrics will be a battery that has equal energy density to a conventional fuel tank while also being capable of being recharged as quickly as one can fill up a gas tank.

Meet those goals and pure electric will be viable. I have a feeling technology will meet the energy density goal before the ultra high speed charging goal though.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by Kearnstd:

I have a feeling technology will meet the energy density goal before the ultra high speed charging goal though.

Perhaps...

Korean boffins discover secret to quick-charge batteries - 15th August 2012:

South Korean boffins say they have found a way to cut battery charging times for electric cars from hours down to just minutes.

The end result of all of this particulate boffinry is that the resulting batteries can be recharged in anything between 1/30 and 1/120 of the time taken to re-energise conventional rechargeable batteries.

"The research is especially remarkable in that it overcame limitations of existing lithium-ion batteries," said Cho Jae-phil, a professor at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology.

"We will further move closer to developing a new secondary battery for electric cars that can be fully recharged in less than a minute."

New research from McKinsey & Co, for example, argues that only if manufacturers can acquire batteries for less than $250 per kWh will electric cars be offered at competitive prices. At present the price is more like $500 per kWh, it said.

The South Korean research, entitled Carbon-Coated Single-Crystal LiMn2O4 Nanoparticle Clusters as Cathode Material for High-Energy and High-Power Lithium-Ion Batteries, can be found here.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
Yeah, yeah, but does the UI use GNOME ?

kleeman
Australian Expat

Nyack, NY
LOL. Looks more like an Android knockoff from the photo.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3
CES 2012 TESLA Model S Dash Full Demo

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdOehvW9fs

kleeman
Australian Expat

Nyack, NY
Looks a lot like my Nexus 7 Android tablet. I was impressed by the charge time too. 300 miles battery charged in 40 minutes. That is a lot faster than even two years ago. Price-tag needs shrinking though.
--

FF4m3

@bhn.net
said by kleeman:

Price-tag needs shrinking though.

Probably not going to happen. Evidently you and I are not among Tesla's targeted demographics.

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2
reply to FF4m3
Energy isn't free (law of thermodynamics). So when you get off gas and go electric, you are kicking the can down the road. When you charge your car at night you are most likely releasing C02 since most power plants are ran on coal.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
said by KodiacZiller:

Energy isn't free (law of thermodynamics). So when you get off gas and go electric, you are kicking the can down the road. When you charge your car at night you are most likely releasing C02 since most power plants are ran on coal.

Yes and no. If you plug it in to a source powered by a coal power-plant, then yes you are still using fossil fuels. However there are two major benefits.
1. Electric-powered cars are more efficient. You can go much further in an electric car than a gas car per CO2 output.
2. Electric-powered cars become more eco-friendly over time. Electric cars that plug into today's grid also plug into tomorrows grid. As tomorrows grid become "greener" then so does your car.
The real environment concerns are the CO2 released from the mining required to build those batteries, and the environmental impacts of discarding the batteries after they are dead.
These last points are very concerning and need to be seriously addressed because at present they are horrible for our environment.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:

Energy isn't free (law of thermodynamics).

Agreed.

I've been following solar-cell tech advances. With new flexible substrates, fuller spectrum & conversion efficiencies, and potentially much lower manufacturing costs using existing infrastructure, many [Asian] car companies are actively planning solar-cell usage in near future vehicles.

In addition, there are many significantly more fuel efficient vehicles sold outside of the US. Why not inside the US? Probably because US car makers cannot compete with them on price, nor technology, nor for fuel efficiency. Thus they'd rather prevent the competition.

For example: Fiat 500 Twin Air

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Tesla's been recruiting software developers in the bay area for a while now. I'd work there if they gave you a company car

The fellow who used to live in my apartment building worked for Tesla. They do give you a company car (to test drive/have fun with for the day) -- he brought home one of their beta/test cars on 2 separate occasions (thing was bright orange). We talked a while about where he worked/etc. and he asked me if I wrote firmware -- I told him the only firmware I did was for PIC16C84 and that was a long time ago, otherwise I do assembly on pretty much any "old" CPU (specifically 65xxx CPUs). He said "if you ever get desperate let me know and I can probably get your foot in the door for an interview".

My point: they at least let employees take home cars they're working on.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

while also being capable of being recharged as quickly as one can fill up a gas tank.

For most this is not an issue. Other than road trips and LD commuters most people don't put on 100+ miles a day... and so what if it charges overnight. Many could even deal with 50mi range.

Plus if where you work you can have electric access available... even the LD commuter could work with 100mi each way.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

The real environment concerns are the CO2 released from the mining required to build those batteries, and the environmental impacts of discarding the batteries after they are dead.

Not discarded... lithium is a VERY FINITE resource and hard to refine, why so expensive. (I could get a lithium battery for my electric bicycle, but it costs as much as the bike does... in a flat ground place and short range the heavy lead acids are just fine)

I would imagine EVERY vehicle lithium battery is recycled, if not the household ones more often than not.

The biggest problem to be solved is if everyone had an electric vehicle there is no way our Grid Infrastructure could support it...barely handles todays needs and as is growth, helped by conservation (CFL's, more efficient appliances, etc)

And quite correct that ellectric vehicle are far more energy efficient than gas/diesel. A Tesla can easy out 0-60mph any Ferrari or Lambo on less energy.
--

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2
reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

said by KodiacZiller:

Yes and no. If you plug it in to a source powered by a coal power-plant, then yes you are still using fossil fuels. However there are two major benefits.

Which is why I think we need more nuclear plants. They release zero C02 and modern designs are melt-down proof (especially the thorium design).
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

AuraReturn
Premium
join:2003-08-18
USA
reply to FF4m3
I'll buy a Tesla just because their CEO called the Fisker Karma Mediocre: »www.autolust.com/tesla-ceo-calls···ediocre/

For the record, the Tesla is a far superior engineering feat than the Fisker.

OdinFaktor

join:2001-02-12
USA
reply to FF4m3
At $49k base price and top notch design. Can't go wrong. Want one.

I actually like all that tech access in the car.