Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Lawn mower

Hello,

I am looking to buy a lawn mower and I have no idea where to start and what to get??

Where is a good place to buy one? How much is a good one?

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

Riding mower? Push mower? Are you mowing someplace with hills or embankments that might require self-propelled capability? Need more info.

I bought a basic push mower from a local small-engine repair guy on Craigslist for $50. I have another repair guy down the street change the oil and sharpen the blade every year, and it runs great. My opinion: no need to buy something new and fancy if you're just pushing it around a small, flat lot.

hambonepat
join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

1 edit

hambonepat to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Try Russo Power Equipment on irving in Schiller Park. They have whatever youll need, know what they are talking about and back what they sell.

Heres their site.

»www.russopower.com/

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 edit

Jon5 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
About 6 or so years ago I bought an MTD yard machines at menards for about $189. Worked flawlessly until I finally gave it up this year for a self propelled.

I bought this piece of junk. »www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· d7KCAm14
This thing bogs down on grass that's the at the slightest bit tall, and it's narrower. Worst $269 I ever spent.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MTD, Honda or Toro. Maybe even a Husqvarna but it really depends on your needs and how much you want to spend.
Stay away from the lawnboy crap though.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 edit

SuperNet

Premium Member

IS this good?

»www.sears.com/craftsman- ··· kType=G5

or

»www.sears.com/craftsman- ··· kType=G7

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I do like craftsman stuff. Never had a mower but had the gas edger and currently a snow blower. Never had a problem with either. I also like the fact that they have a parts shop in Schaumburg where can get just about any part for any yard equipment ever made right next to my work in Schaumburg.
I got the edger from my aunt cause it didn't run. they left gas sitting in it. Went there and grabbed a carb for like $40 and had a like new, $300 edger.

Not sure how CC's convert to HP. Supposedly 25 to 1. Not sure I believe that or if it even applies to small engines. My old MTD was 5.5 hp. My new mower is 149 CC's. about the same according to that. But the lawn-boy bogs down on things that were no problem for my old mower.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to SuperNet

Mod

to SuperNet
I've been using a Sears Craftsman 7.0hp mower for probably 7 years with no major issues. I've probably only changed the oil a few times and sharpened the blade once. Still starts easy the only real trick to remember to drain the gas and run it till it dies. Don't mess with that Stabil crap or whatever gimmick.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I spent about $500 on a really nice self propelled super recycler Toro about 9-10 years ago. It has a Honda engine that still to this day starts first pull. It should last another 10-15 without having to do anything besides oil changes, blade sharpening, and an occasional spark plug.

I'm lazy and hate mowing the lawn so even if the grass is super wet and long, this thing eats through it. I had a cheap MTD from Home Depot before and that thing would just bog down if the grass was at all wet.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
True Story-
Grew up living in apartments my whole life.
When I got married we bought our home. I got a lawn mower and went through all the things Supernet is going through now.

I mowed for three years until i realized I could RAISE the lawnmower to the height of grass I wanted.

So when it was wet or too long I would tilt the front of the whole mower UP to be able to cut it after a few passes because it was set so low.
Im an idiot.
whymeintrouble
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

whymeintrouble to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
google up some forums that handle lawn mowers/tractors. there are a ton of manufacturers for mowers out there, so deciding which mowers are made whom would help you find the best value for your dollar. your best bet might be to find an older lawnmower that has been taken good care of and purchase it inexpensively. the old mowers have less plastic on that and don't turn to crap as easily as some newer ones I've seen. I'm not a guru at all, but the Honda that our landlord has here is really nice. I'm guessing about 5-10 years old. not a big fan of plastic and it doesn't have a ton of it on there. good luck and hope you enjoy your home ownership