Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

User01

join:2012-08-15
Richmond Hill, ON

[Internet] Sagemcom 2864 Connection Hub & Fibe Bell Modem & HPNA

Hi,
Our family uses a wired Internet setup and our Bell service is changing from our DSL modem to a Fibe modem. It's not feasible for all of our networked computers to access the Internet wirelessly. We notice the Fibe modem has no bridge - only one jack input and a power input. We guess our old bridges won't split a Fibe signal to our computers. We use a Linksys router and it's worked really well for us for several years. We have an unopened Dlink router ready to go as a back-up.

A friend mentioned the Sagemcom 2864 connection hub, which Bell carries. He mentioned an HPNA - a home network. This sounds ideal.

This home network, with cables running to each computer, sounds ideal for us and would work for us.

What is the bad news and the good news? What are people's personal experiences like with this setup?

Some concerns:

Cost of cabling, signal strength, monthly rental fee, full purchase of connection hub.

Durability of hub, firmware version(s), etc.

trep

join:2012-02-08
Quebec, QC

Re: [Internet] Sagemcom 2864 Connection Hub & Fibe Bell Modem &

The connection hub has 4 ethernet ports for your computers.
»internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?langu···id=17796

You can plug a switch if you have more than 4 devices or you can bridge the modem by connecting your router to one of the LAN ports and have it do PPPoE

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to User01

The ports are Gigabit Ethernet ports (4)...just for clarification. You can use the Connection Hub in bridge mode and do the authentication with your Linksys/Dlink router. The wireless on the Connection Hub is 802.11N but the range according to some users is far less than the 2wire modem had. Apparently due to it being manufactured in Germany where their wireless restrictions are more stringent. There are two SSIDs available...two wireless networks available. The "guest" wireless network is kept separate from the other network so your computers would not be able to "talk" if you used both wireless access points.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to User01

you can use a switch/bridge to connect more devices to a connection hub.

there's a rumor that bell reps will not provide support on this and push their customers to use wireless. There's no reason to listen to them, but you should use gigabit switches to avoid auto negotiation issues between 1000 and 100 (although there should be no issues at all)

I had weirdness happening with a gigabit switch connected to my 100mbit wrt54g, so im not taking chances, heh.