how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MisterWil

join:2012-08-15
Las Vegas, NV

[NV] Slow speeds on Sunday evenings

I pay for the Cox Premier (20Mbit) HSI in an apartment complex, and at all other times of the week (AFAIK), I get full speeds (2.5mbyte/s speeds stable), except Sunday nights. Sunday nights from about 6pm until about 9-10pm, I get speeds in the range of 100-900kbyte/second, extremely unstable.

I know that 1) I'm at an apartment complex and 2) Sunday's are family entertainment/streaming video nights, however I was hoping there might be another option available to me. I would consider upgrading to the Ultimate (50Mbit) package, but I doubt that would help much either, am I correct?

Thanks!
Wil

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

Your main option here is, if you don't already have a D3(docsis 3) modem. It would be smart to invest in one, and it will help with congestion when everyone is using the internet during peak usage hours.

MisterWil

Las Vegas, NV
reply to MisterWil

My modem is a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Hmm well maybe PM CoxTech1 See Profile your modem's mac address, and let him look over things from his end, and maybe give you an suggestion. Signing up for a faster speed tier isn't gonna help the speed slowdowns. How many channels is your 6120 connected to on the downstream?

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to MisterWil

Shoot me a PM with your MAC address and I'll take a look.

MisterWil

Las Vegas, NV

Thanks! PM sent. Thanks for any information you can give me.

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to MisterWil

I took a look at your modem, node, etc. and not seeing anything wrong. There's plenty of bandwidth at the node at all hours.

I've added your modem to an internal watch tool to monitor over the weekend, and we'll see if we see anything this Sunday night.

MisterWil

Las Vegas, NV

Definitely had some slowdown with an unstable connection last night starting around 8:30pm and lasting until a little after 10pm. I understand if it's not something that can be helped; I appreciate you just looking at it.

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV

So I took a look at the graphs, and the reason your connection is slow is something behind your modem is maxing out your download bandwidth. It starts around 8:30pm, and takes your connection to 100% download until about midnight.

Do you have devices set to synchronize files, maybe online backups, maybe something else? It's all download traffic.

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to MisterWil

I just PMed you a link to the usage graph we have for your modem for you to see as well.

MisterWil

Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, I started a large download around then on purpose to hopefully make the speed instability apparent. You can see on the graph that from about 8:30pm when I started the download until about 10pm, even though I was downloading the same file from the same source, it wasn't maxing the connection to the "full" 20-25Mbit/s.

Though, it occurs to me upon seeing that graph and writing this post that perhaps the source was the slowdown. Can you determine if between those hours if the bandwidth on the node I am on was the bottleneck?

If not, well, I must apologize because I didn't realize this sooner. haha

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

just to thow this out in case there is any confusion.download speed like in a speed test and transfer rate are not the same,typicaly you take the download speed you are paying for and divide by 8 ,so a 25Mbit/s divide by 8 would put you at about 3.125 MByte/s or 3200KByte/s download speed transfer rate. so with said what speed where you downloading at when you see this slow down and see if its showing in megabits or megabytes

CoxVegas

Las Vegas, NV
reply to MisterWil

Well, your provisioned speed is 20Mb/s down, and your download was consistently exceeding that while you were going, so just from that I could say your node is fine.

However, I did go and look - your node as a whole is, well, it's bored. There's nothing coming even close to bandwidth limits.

I don't see any bottle neck - you look like you were downloading an almost constant 22-23 Mb/s (which, as m8trix mentions, is in megabits per second, this equates out to 2.75 megabytes, or MB/s, or so).