netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1

BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) set up in haste

Click for full size
Yay Cisco
So we were piloting a BYOD solution for a couple schools using the controllers we already had onsite, when our top boss decided that we needed to have it everywhere in two weeks... so our supplier somehow got us these 5508 controllers and 3750 switches in short order (they had said it might take up to a month to get them at the earliest)

Second switch is a backup for the active one. the controllers can fail over to the other as they are anchors for the controllers on site at the schools

Sorry for the fuzzy picture... my fingers were kinda raw at this point...

Figured while small, it still supports 7000 connections on each controller...
I wish I had more time for cable management, but it was a "the equipment is here, who is free to slap these in?" kinda time crunch.

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to netboy34
I'm rather curious as to what the controllers actually "do".

I've not dipped my feet into the whole BYOD business model so it's complete foreign territory.

What is their purpose in the BYOD domain?

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to netboy34
Google is my friend.

Ahhh now I see. They manage the wireless infrastructure and allow for things such as seamless roaming etc.

Nice! I have something similar with our existing wireless infrastructure but we don't use Cisco.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
If you are using WiFi handsets the seamless hand off is a must because Cisco IP Phones take for ever to reconnect if they jump from one AP to another.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR
Doesnt WDS do that too?

Just wondering because I have a few sites with several autonomous APs tied together with WDS that allow roaming from AP-to-AP without having to re-authenticate/connect.

Im also using dynamic VLAN assignment using a single SSID. Not sure why Cisco docs dont show you how to do it with the stand alone APs because its not that difficult. They always show you using multiple SSIDs and that seems silly to me.

Very nice install though. Thanks for sharing.
--
sk_buff what?

Open Source Network Accelerators
»www.trafficsqueezer.org
»www.opennop.org

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
reply to voxframe
In this case the 4 controllers are anchors for the 118 controllers out at the locations for one SSID. A client connects to the SSID, the connection gets routed up to these controllers, then the controllers connect to the server to serve the accept TOS page to the clients and keep track of who has accepted then relay DHCP. This segment is on its own IP range (Class B) separating it from the rest of the network (Class A) and is sent to the web filters before the internet.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
Bleh classes. That terminology hasnt been used in ages. Get with the CIDR program.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
How does the physical connection work? does it go AP-controller-switch? I can't tell if the purple cables go from each controller to the switch or....

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to netboy34
Why do you have so many connections on each controller? Isn't just one connection require per controller?

LondonDave
Premium
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
Bandwidth!!!!!

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
reply to jeffmoss26
AP-> Controller onsite-> Fiber ring to the data center -> one of these controllers -> switch -> web filter -> internet

Each controller handles 7000 connections and has 24 controllers looking up to them.

Each controller has 8 1Gb sfp's which connect into the switch.
on the right side of the switch is the connections to the DHCP/DNS/Web servers (2) and the load balancer to the web filters (2) the crossover is ACL'ed so that we can remote in to the servers and controllers.

We have 104k students. right now we are only looking at a portion since Elementary kids will most likely not have any devices. (and even most Middle school)

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to netboy34
Ah. I just did a small 2504 controller set up. Just set up one connection w/vlans. It was only 6 ap's though in someones house. I'm getting tired of Cisco though, everything is about licenses with them now. Want this feature? That's another license, etc. Been testing out Adtran equipment and falling in love with it.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
said by themagicone:

I'm getting tired of Cisco though, everything is about licenses with them now. Want this feature? That's another license, etc.

I'm not a big fan of the way they're doing their image licensing now either. I think the reason is to cut down on knock-off hardware running their software, but it becomes a pain when you're doing mass hardware replacements.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Indeed. However the reason is not knock off hardware. It's people buying base licensed hardware and then loading kitchen-sink images on it. Cisco previously had little power to police that. With today's universal images, it's handled by an expensive license key.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
Exactly. In reality its just them now (finally) doing what they were always entitled to do anyway, but probably just didnt have the means.

We're scraping the bottom of the gravy pot now.

imanon

@comcast.net
reply to netboy34
Can someone, perhaps more intelligent than I, lay out the real need to spend $x000.00 on wireless controllers?

Other than creating a new single point of failure, and more easily being able to change the SSID, encryption type/key, or VLANs in one place - what is this controller really going to do for me that I can't program myself with autonomous APs?

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
cut down on administration and quality of connection... when you have an organization with thousands of access points, the controller helps. It also saves money in the long run.

for nice round numbers but using cisco....
(avg price from froogle since cisco is usually contract based and the more you buy the cheaper it becomes)

Aironet 1142 standalone

100 AP's that are autonomous x $600 = $60000 + administration time (say you pay $25/hr and it takes 5 hours to make a change in all AP's) so a total of $60125 if you only make one change

Airornet 1142 Controller based

100 AP's that are "dumb" x $400 = $40000 + controller (avg $1600) = $41600 (using the same $25/hr and it takes 10 minutes to make a change since it is centralized) so a total of $41604.20

By going with a controller based AP solution, you just saved $18520.80 the amount you save goes up the more AP's you have.

Now some variables are the AP count licensing per controller, in this instance I use a controller that has licensing for 100 AP's

Disclaimer: These are estimated numbers, I do not have real world numbers as it may be different for each person. Since who I work for buys a lot of cisco, our contract price is lower than retail.

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR
I recommend you get a configuration management system and change all 100 APs in about 60 seconds.

I do get what your saying though and if we had more than 10 APs I *might* be pushing to go the controller route too. Your example assumes you buy Cisco stuff new too right?

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
We have the management system (actually about to upgrade it here sooner or later... WCS maybe? I'm just in the Data Center, so I'm not always in the loop for other things)

and the example is new stuff... I was just going for simplicity for the anon...

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI
probably NCS instead of WCS. i love the templates for managing multiple wireless controllers (we have six).

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02
reply to netboy34
WCS is going EOL to my understanding. Cisco is moving to the new Prime Network Infrastructure (NCS). I've got a test bed for NCS running at work right now alongside WCS. So far, NCS is much better. Also, if you plan to run 3600 series AP's, you'll need NCS.
--
"There are two American flags flying on the property I reside on. Anyone who tries to take them down will be rendered inoperative." -Lindy

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
then I can only assume it is NCS that the network guys are testing...