uniqs
share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Global Shortage of Electrons as Microsoft releases Goodies

Yeppers if you have a MSDN account today Microsoft released Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012, but there is now a global shortage of electrons as folks everywhere are trying to download the goods.

The internet could end up a glowing pile of slag today.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

I got to msdn.microsoft.com just fine. Didn't download anything as there's nothing there I'm interested in.

And it's more a tale of how MS can't plan rather than a shortage of Internet pipes.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

Based on the tepid response to Windows 8 previously, I doubt the tubes are going to sag today like they did when Windows 7 began to hit the release channels.

Nevertheless, it's not out on MAPS yet. Can't say I'm disappointed.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

The internet could end up a glowing pile of slag today.

Sorta like it did for Windows Me? How about Windows Vista?
If things are slowing down, it probably won't last all that long.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

Snarks aside, there aren't THAT many MSDN subscribers
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Link Logger

I remain skeptical that Windows 8 and "goods" belong together.

That said, I was able to download both ISOs earlier today.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Snarks aside, there aren't THAT many MSDN subscribers

But there's also a 90-day trial version (non-upgradable) available to everyone.

»www.techspot.com/news/49795-wind···all.html
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

reply to itguy05

Click for full size
There are more Vista Users (8.12%) in the world then there are MacOSX users (6.92%), iOS users are only 2.64%, so whats the deal with Apple, lot of noise for not much game it seems. Windows 7 is by far and away the most used OS on the planet at 51.14% and XP is still second at 29.1% and Linux doesn't even register on the graph.

The next question is why do we have Apple fan boys hanging out in the Microsoft forum or is it just lonely in the Apple forum?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by Link Logger:

The next question is why do we have Apple fan boys hanging out in the Microsoft forum or is it just lonely in the Apple forum?

They like to spin their BALONEY ... Some of then even believe that their baloney is somehow very cool.

Anzio

join:2008-11-22
Innisfil, ON
reply to Link Logger

Microsoft will learn how to operate a server soon enough. They're trying to make it seem like people are interested in this. They probably got 200 concurrent downloads.

Joking aside, interesting to see the new software!

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

There are more Vista Users (8.12%) in the world then there are MacOSX users (6.92%), iOS users are only 2.64%, so whats the deal with Apple, lot of noise for not much game it seems. Windows 7 is by far and away the most used OS on the planet at 51.14% and XP is still second at 29.1% and Linux doesn't even register on the graph.

Blake

I find it strange that not a single person mentioned Apple, or Mac, or iOS in the thread until you, out of nowhere, decided to post a StatCounter graph with some diatribe.

While StatCounter shows Vista beating the Mac, Wikimedia shows Vista and the Mac as being tied, and almost as many people using an iPhone.
--
less talk, more music
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

Re: Global Shortage of Electrons as Microsoft releases Goodies

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

I find it strange that not a single person mentioned Apple, or Mac, or iOS in the thread until you, out of nowhere, decided to post a StatCounter graph with some diatribe.

It was in response to itguy who had made a mac comment in the *other* "microsoft help" thread discussing this same thing (I think)
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Their Macs have been remotely wiped and they are buying two PCs to replace their Mac. (Why not, the cost is the same)
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium

said by Kilroy:

said by Link Logger:

Their Macs have been remotely wiped and they are buying two PCs to replace their Mac. (Why not, the cost is the same)

For me, PCs are so dime a dozen, I have enough old PCs for each day of the week. It helps save the environment from just trashing them all. Getting Windows 8 on some is becoming interesting.
--
less talk, more music

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

While StatCounter shows Vista beating the Mac, Wikimedia shows Vista and the Mac as being tied, and almost as many people using an iPhone.

I found it interesting all the Mac Fan boys slagging Microsoft for being slow to dish up their goodies as when Apple releases something the internet barely gives a 'meh', but when Microsoft releases something the internet takes notice.

I also find it interesting how Mac Fan Boys claim Vista was a disaster when Vista has as many users or more then Mac OSX, so does that also make Mac OSX a disaster? Like I said a lot of noise for not much game.

Blake
--

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by Link Logger:

I also find it interesting how Mac Fan Boys claim Vista was a disaster when Vista has as many users or more then Mac OSX, so does that also make Mac OSX a disaster? Like I said a lot of noise for not much game.

Blake

Vista adoption was about inertia more than value/quality. It was a bad OS, just like ME was a bad OS. If Vista had been better, we wouldn't still have 23%+ of users running XP, a 12 year old OS.

95% of my business is supporting MS software, so I'm hardly a Mac fanboy, but sometimes MS gets it really, really wrong, and their choice to forcibly implement a radical UI change in Win8 looks really, really bad to me. I don't yet see any benefit to business users, unless an avalanche of support calls from people looking for the Start button is somehow an improvement.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

said by lorennerol:

Vista adoption was about inertia more than value/quality. It was a bad OS, just like ME was a bad OS. If Vista had been better, we wouldn't still have 23%+ of users running XP, a 12 year old OS.

95% of my business is supporting MS software, so I'm hardly a Mac fanboy, but sometimes MS gets it really, really wrong, and their choice to forcibly implement a radical UI change in Win8 looks really, really bad to me. I don't yet see any benefit to business users, unless an avalanche of support calls from people looking for the Start button is somehow an improvement.

strangely enough I ran Vista for a long time and never had the issues reported in the media which I thought was interesting.

Supporting business users you know there isn't anything forcing them to upgrade, as seen by the number of businesses users still running XP. How many clients do you have ready to move Windows 8 now, if they were doing that without a valid reason, someone isn't doing their job. I think Microsoft felt quite safe with making big GUI changes in Windows 8 as they aren't really competing with anyone but themselves (despite what Apple/Linux users think), if Windows 8 catches on, great, if not Windows 7 remains the new XP (and I've said this many times in the past).

Windows 8 is about new hardware as much as it is about a new GUI as its the hardware driving the GUI.

Blake
--

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by Link Logger:

Windows 8 is about new hardware as much as it is about a new GUI as its the hardware driving the GUI.

All the more reason to not *force* users to interact with a smartphone/tablet UI on a desktop or laptop PC.

I'm not saying don't move on, I'm saying that it's a Ballmeresque Blunder to force something like this on everyone unnecessarily, and even go out of your way to defeat third-party work-arounds.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

It's merely your opinion that it's an unnecessary change. To the manufacturer, it's a natural progression of the OS life.

Blake, I'm trying to convince my accountant to allow me to purchase a TechNet or MAPS subscription so I can get my hands on the RTM version before the October release. I've been using the Preview Release on an older Desktop machine for about a month now and really have come to enjoy the new interface. Would like to get it installed on my everyday laptop sooner than later.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by MSeng:

It's merely your opinion that it's an unnecessary change. To the manufacturer, it's a natural progression of the OS life.

I'm pretty certain there was no technical requirement to eliminate the Start button without any opportunity to restore it. They left open the possibility to drop back to the familiar desktop, but coded out the Start button and omitted any way to make it the default. These don't seem like necessities to me, they seem like deliberate choices to force users to deal with a UI that was radically changed to make it more functional on phones (3% market share for MS) and tablets (1%).

So just like with Vista, we're going to be advising clients to continue to purchase PCs with Win7 for as long as possible.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

Actually there is a good reason to get rid of the start button and it has to do with IMHO multi-touch driven Hardware and their GUI's (gestures play into this as well). If your going to have touch driven apps, then really you can only have one app running on the touch device at a time as what does a multi-touch mean for example if it involves multiple apps on the screen and more then one gets touched? This is a difficult interface problem and so best to setup the GUI to only allow one app at a time until we figure out more about multiple apps sharing a multi touch screen for example.

Blake
--

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Link Logger:

Actually there is a good reason to get rid of the start button and it has to do with IMHO multi-touch driven Hardware and their GUI's (gestures play into this as well). If your going to have touch driven apps, then really you can only have one app running on the touch device at a time as what does a multi-touch mean for example if it involves multiple apps on the screen and more then one gets touched? This is a difficult interface problem and so best to setup the GUI to only allow one app at a time until we figure out more about multiple apps sharing a multi touch screen for example.

Blake

Its my opinion that Microsoft was terrified that if they gave people the option, most people would never interact with the Metro interface and the Metro apps. That's what this is all about, after all; get users into the Microsoft ecosystem. They're trying it this way because they've failed every other way; they couldn't make any inroads against the iPod, they have yet to make any significant inroads against the iPhone, and it remains to be seen if they'll make any inroads to the iPad (I actually think they might here). Ballmer seems to want his legacy to be that he moved Microsoft bread and butter, Windows and Office, beyond the PC. So far, he has little to show for it.

And for the record, I'm a Microsoft fanboy. I'm actually one of the 7 people who will actually admit they like Vista.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

This is a difficult interface problem and so best to setup the GUI to only allow one app at a time until we figure out more about multiple apps sharing a multi touch screen for example.

Blake

And this has to be a debacle for desktop and laptop users along the way because why? I *rarely* see the desktop on my computers- every screen I have is covered with apps all the time. That's the brilliance of the pinned apps and docs in Win7; I never need to minimize everything to look at the desktop. And that's the idiocy of Metro on a desktop or laptop. On a tablet smartphone I'm there, make it the default, heck even require it. But on real computers Metro is a giant step backwards in usability and efficiency. If it wasn't, we'd all have our desktops covered with 'gadgets' and I can't think of the last time I saw anyone using them.

And I agree with the other poster; MS knows this is so and that if a classic desktop was available the vast majority of people would enable it, set it default, and never look back.

Apple are laughing all the way to increased marketshare over this one.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

as when Apple releases something the internet barely gives a 'meh',

When Apple releases a new iPhone people stand in line, but Mountain Lion was certainly a 'meh'. Mountain Lion is just an evolutionary increase over Lion. Lion did all the hard work and introduced the automatic saving and resuming features. Lion also sucked. It introduced such hilariously bad bugs as FileVault passwords being stored in plaintext and new features simply not working. I refused to use it.

said by Link Logger:

but when Microsoft releases something the internet takes notice.

With Windows 8 it's justifiable. Windows 8 is a fundamental shift. It's being ported to an entire new platform (ARM) and introducing a new environment (formerly known as Metro). And it's being forced down everyones throat, for better or worse, come October.

said by Link Logger:

I also find it interesting how Mac Fan Boys claim Vista was a disaster when Vista has as many users or more then Mac OSX, so does that also make Mac OSX a disaster?

When the PC market is ~90% even a failure can have massive market share. Every PC sold after Vista was introduced shipped with Vista (and possibly an XP downgrade).

said by Link Logger:

Like I said a lot of noise for not much game.

I sure hope Apple doesn't bring too much game. If they keep adding skeuomorphism to their UI I'm going to punch someone at Apple HQ.
--
less talk, more music

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Blake

Maybe this?

"My MacBook Air and my iPad are basically my fifth and sixth limbs. I rarely go anywhere without them, I use each for hours every day,
and in general I'm really happy with both of them.

Come October 26th, though, I'm ditching them both. I don't know yet if I'm buying a Microsoft Surface or a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet or an Asus Transformer Book, or something else entirely. But I'm buying a Windows 8 device as my only computer, and I can't wait.....I'll be switching because Windows 8 is the first desktop operating system that understands what a computer is supposed to do in 2012, and it’s at once more productive and more fun than any OS I’ve used before."

»www.theverge.com/2012/8/16/32461···indows-8
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

You'll probably find this interesting then. Within Steam, Win7 makes up nearly 75% of the total user base(x64 making up 55% of that). Remember there are ~40m accounts, the sample size is around 30% of the total user base, out of voluntary queries. Between the two, yours and this, that's pretty damn close to being the same.

This will probably become even more accurate as Steam is expanding to include general applications to their database as well.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to lorennerol

said by lorennerol:

And this has to be a debacle for desktop and laptop users along the way because why? I *rarely* see the desktop on my computers- every screen I have is covered with apps all the time. That's the brilliance of the pinned apps and docs in Win7; I never need to minimize everything to look at the desktop. And that's the idiocy of Metro on a desktop or laptop. On a tablet smartphone I'm there, make it the default, heck even require it. But on real computers Metro is a giant step backwards in usability and efficiency. If it wasn't, we'd all have our desktops covered with 'gadgets' and I can't think of the last time I saw anyone using them.

And I agree with the other poster; MS knows this is so and that if a classic desktop was available the vast majority of people would enable it, set it default, and never look back.

Apple are laughing all the way to increased marketshare over this one.

Why would a desktop user who runs concurrent apps all over their desktop switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8? They also wouldn't switch to an iPad for the same reason as its not how they use a their computer. So how exactly is Apple going to increase market share, by people switching from Windows 7 to a Mac, don't think that makes much sense.

As for Gadgets, I do run some of those, for example Tweetz and weather gadgets. Now I'll have a hard time switching to Metro as I always have tons of apps open at the same time across multiple monitors so Metro (or even an iPad for that matter) doesn't fit my current mode of operation, but Windows 7 does, so I'll likely leave this computer running Windows 7. I will be buying surface and surface pro machines to try out and will setup another system with Windows 8 as I do have development projects for those platforms.

As for Microsoft forcing people to Metro, really? I don't think Microsoft is going to come over to my home and take away Windows 7, so what did they lose by not having a Windows 7 desktop in Windows 8? As soon as I can get some 30" touch screens I'll be hooking those bad boys up and seeing what they can do with Windows 8.

Blake
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

said by Link Logger:

...As for Microsoft forcing people to Metro, really? I don't think Microsoft is going to come over to my home and take away Windows 7, so what did they lose by not having a Windows 7 desktop in Windows 8?

What has that got to do with going to Wal-Mart to buy a new computer when your old machine croaks or is no longer powerful enough for some newer apps ? Will everybody make do with their old hardware until Windows 9 comes out ?
--
Breaker One Nine.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by SipSizzurp:

said by Link Logger:

...As for Microsoft forcing people to Metro, really? I don't think Microsoft is going to come over to my home and take away Windows 7, so what did they lose by not having a Windows 7 desktop in Windows 8?

What has that got to do with going to Wal-Mart to buy a new computer when your old machine croaks or is no longer powerful enough for some newer apps ? Will everybody make do with their old hardware until Windows 9 comes out ?

Well, geez, whatever you do, don't try to buy a copy of Windows 7 separate from the computer purchase, I mean, that'd be too easy.
--
♬ Music is life ♬