plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

Re: Global Shortage of Electrons as Microsoft releases Goodies

said by Mele20:

If I want hassles and warranty issues yeah...but no thanks. I am buying a Dell partly to get North American 24//7 Pro support for extended warranty of 5 years. It sort of defeats my purpose if I buy a different OS separately and need to have two hard drives bootable (with Windows 8 on one so I could switch to it if I had to call support). No thanks. The point here is to minimize hassles...not increase them. I just checked the Dell configurator and two of the problems are fixed (...last time I checked just a couple of days ago..the problems were still there). Dell is now offering Windows 7 Pro (had been offering Windows 7 Home only) and they have the 8GB sticks of Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz RAM now so the configurator is now allowing one to purchase 12GB, 16GB, 24GB or 32GB RAM. No further information regarding a fix for the PCIe ports problem though.

Just a side note here, but maybe a useful suggestion.

You seem to know exactly what kind of hardware you want, so why not build the system yourself? If I was you, I would check out either newegg or tigerdirect, and build the system myself. Why wait for Dell (or any other OEM) to come out with the system you want. If you know what you want, go price the parts yourself, and get exactly what you want.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to Link Logger
The question is, is Server 8 out on MSDN yet...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by sk1939:

The question is, is Server 8 out on MSDN yet...

Doesn't seem to be, no.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Ah, good to know.
Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Kilroy

Re: Global Shortage of Electrons as Microsoft releases Goodies

said by Kilroy:

said by Octavean:

I'm buying that Technet sub as soon as I get back home on Sunday.

Buy now. It takes two to three days for your account to be set up on their side. I had to call in as their website has been having issues processing credit cards. Initially a hold was put on my card and then I received a cancellation e-mail. I ended up calling on Monday, but didn't get access until yesterday.

I would buy now but I just don't trust the WiFi access we have here at our vacation spot. It'll have to keep until I get back home.

Months ago, I actually bought a Technet sub from Amazon (direct fromAmazon as the seller) but they botched it by sending me a Technet sub renewal which I couldn't use. Their discription was wrong because I double and triple checked what I was ordering from them. I got a full refund but it was annoying.

Once i get it, I know it will take some time (days) to activate though.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

said by Octavean:

I'm buying that Technet sub as soon as I get back home on Sunday.

Buy now. It takes two to three days for your account to be set up on their side. I had to call in as their website has been having issues processing credit cards. Initially a hold was put on my card and then I received a cancellation e-mail. I ended up calling on Monday, but didn't get access until yesterday.

Whatever issues they may have had must be resolved. I subscribed this evening and it took effect immediately. I'm in the process of downloading Windows 8 as I type this.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Kilroy
OK, I ordered the Technet subscription. I hope I get it in the next couple of days because I’ll be out of town again early next week.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

2 recommendations

reply to lorennerol
Alwayas a way around things:

»[Free] [New] Start Button 8 - Start Menu X
--
"Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do."

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I think Classic Shell is better. I had it on Win 7 public beta when Classic Shell was brand new and loved it. It has evolved a great deal since then (but I was only able to use it during the public beta of Win 7 on a virtual machine). I still use XP Pro and hope to avoid Windows 8 but that will depend on when I can buy the machine I am waiting for Dell to fix and on how long OEMs are allowed to continue offering computers with Windows 7.

Classic Shell is officially supported as of August 18 for Windows 8 RTM.

It is such a shame that we have to resort to things like this just because we prefer desktops. Microsoft has lost it. There is no reason why Microsoft has to have a cell phone/tablet version of Windows forced on desktop users. Not only do I want the Start button but I want Classic Windows and buttons and it shocks me that Microsoft is trying to deny that to those of us who want it.

»classicshell.sourceforge.net/
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
There are others too (untested), to name a couple..

ViStart

Start8
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Skip Metro Suite ( boot to desktop )
»winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger
I just read the title of this posting
quote:
Microsoft releases Goodies
and for a moment I figured that a certain 1970s trio of comedians had been held hostage in Redmond.