spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bryonc

@sbcglobal.net

Was my U-verse install done correctly?!

I just looked at the Cat 5 wiring for my U-verse, installed by an ATT tech about 2 years ago. I examined the wiring both at the box attached to the outside of the house and at the jack inside the house at the other end.

I noticed that, of the 8 conductors, only 4 are being used (the blue/white pair and the green/white pair). The other 4 conductors are CUT, both at the box outside the house and at the jack inside the house.

Is this correct? Does U-verse really use only 4 conductors? Two of the conductors that are in use appear to be spliced to the phone line, which apparently leaves only 2 conductors for the internet signal. Is that possible?

Was this install done correctly?

Thanks,
Bryon

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1

Short: Yes
Long: What you see is the phone pairs coming in on one pair (Blue/Blue White) and VDSL on the other Pair (green/green white) Since they carry Cat5 on the trucks, it is easier to just run that and trip back/coil the unused pairs

bryoncunning

join:2012-08-15

Thanks, netboy. I see you hail from Kennesaw, GA. I lived in Marietta for years. Small world.

Just out of curiosity, does the fact that the data arrives on just 2 wires cause a significant limitation to bandwidth? Could that be the reason why I average about 10Mbps when my ATT service is for 24Mbps?

Thanks,
Bryon

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA

I grew up in the East Cobb/Marietta area. Spent 25 years of my life there...

It will depend on your distance just like regular DSL. now, do you have TV as well?

There is a utility out there that a forum member here created called Uverse Realtime Download that tool (it is PC only, don't know what hardware you got) and post the Bitloading and error tabs here.

Also, are you using wireless when you do a speed test?

bryoncunning

I was in Marietta for high school. I went to Wheeler.

Yes, I have a TV, but it's off during speed tests. The tests are usually done over ethernet. But I just tested wireless, and it's pretty much identical to ethernet.

I have a Mac, so it sounds like I can't use Uverse Realtime. :-(

Any other thoughts?

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bryonc

The pairs you see on your CAT 5 are incoming VDSL gr/wh, then a backfeed for Uverse Tel on the bl/wh, which you should see tapped to your house wire for telephone service. If you dont have that, then it doesn't matter.

Sounds like your internet is provisioned for MAX tier, which is 12M tops, same as I have here, you don't have 24M internet w/ TV, check your bill to see what your paying for. Bandwidth profiles to the RG are 25 or 32M for now, that is what your entire service is running on.

bryoncunning

I checked the wiring and gr/wh is in fact connected to the line for the VDSL, and bl/wh is connected to the phone lines. The other 4 conductors of the Cat 5 are severed.

I checked my bill and I am in fact paying for Turbo Max. Can Turbo Max speed (24Mbps) be achieved if only 2 wires are devoted to data?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to bryonc

Those two wires are actually capable of upwards of 32Mbps down and 4-5Mbps on most Uverse installs like yours.
If you have a 2WIRE modem you can browse to »192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0 for more info on the characteristics of your line. The value you see on the User Rate is the bandwidth your two wires are set for.

bryoncunning

Yes, I have a 2WIRE 3801. According to that link my User Rate is 32Mbps. When I go to the IP address assigned to my individual router, I see the same thing -- 32Mbps -- under "Broadband" on the main page.

In light of the fact that I'm not getting anywhere near 32Mbps or even 24Mbps, would there be any value to hooking up more of the (currently unused) Cat 5 conductors? Or is that a waste of time?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to bryonc

Waste of time. Your whole home shares that 32Mbps and whichever speed package your subscribed to determines how much of that is available for Internet, but if you still have TV, HD TV streams use around 5Mbps each and take priority over Internet traffic. If you want a speed test higher than 12Mbps, verify what you're subscribed to, turn off all other devices except for the 1 testing device and hard wire it directly to the RG.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Canezoid

said by Canezoid:

Sounds like your internet is provisioned for MAX tier, which is 12M tops, same as I have here, you don't have 24M internet w/ TV, check your bill to see what your paying for.

Yes, you can have Max Turbo (24 Mbps) internet with U-verse TV on the 32/5 line profile.

bryoncunning

1 edit
reply to Forosnai

Forosnai - All speed tests have been performed with all other devices turned off and the testing device hard wired to the RG, but still I cannot get near 24Mbps.

netboy34
Premium
Kennesaw, GA
reply to bryonc

While it is made for the 3800.. It might work for the 3801

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/tools/3800hg-stats.php

this might help you some since you don't have access to a PC... or just borrow a laptop from someone...

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bryonc

You will never acheive 24M rates on a 32M profile w/ other services running, TV/HDTV, pc's, laptops, whatever. You're wasting your $.

I do fine on Max tier here and that's on a 25M profile. Have a pc, laptop/wifi, 2 hdtv's and 1 standard def upstairs. PC & laptop are the only things really running all the time, tv's are only in use when someone is watching something, so your needs may differ. Running all ethernet here for Uverse, no coax, no HPNA, no splitters, runs fine.

Still your ?'s pertaining to CAT5 hookups are not going to do anything for you. It's 1 pair to carry the VDSL to the RG, that's it, anthing beyond that in LAN activity, which you can re-configure. So how does a hard wired bitrate test look w/ nothing else running ? Hardwired pc preferably. Have you tried Shaperprobe ?

Peace.