join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to 09129800

Re: What's the BANDWIDTH CAP like?

said by 09129800:

I'd rather have uncapped 5 Mbps than some piece of shit capped 300 Mbps connection. If Comcap applies their 300 GB bandwidth cap and overage charging scam to this tier then it will be a clear example of a polished turd.

At 300 Mbps speeds you can transfer over 95 terabytes of data in one month. So a 300 GB bandwidth cap on such a speed tier would be beyond ridiculous.

Can you imagine if you actually used this new speed tier to its full potential and Comcap applied their "$10 per 50 GB" bandwidth overage scam to you?

You'd be looking at almost $20,000 in overage fees in just one month. And if you maxed the upload speed as well you'd have a bill for over $25,000.

SCAM!

Your irrational posts are beginning to bother me.

Speed != bandwidth. Just because you have a fast speed, doesn't mean you get a lot of bandwidth. I rent a server with a gigabit line, but I have a 1TB cap. Okay, bandwidth prices for me are dirt-cheap compared to a residential ISP ($9/TB, $59/10TB, and these are high compared to the prices from some providers), but I'm making a point here. "Unlimited" doesn't exist. I could run my line full throttle at 1Gbps 24/7, but then I'd have some pretty serious bandwidth charges to pay.

Remind me again, what legal use of a residential line uses 95TB per month? Remember, business lines for Comcast do exist, and have zero caps.

Now, I do agree that 300GB is a little ridiculous for this speed. However, have we confirmed that Comcast will have a 300GB cap for this speed, or is this just speculation based on their in-development caps? It's still not a scam.

ISPs aren't outfitted with the infrastructure to handle everyone going full throttle 24/7, they'd collapse under the load. Yes, 300GB is ridiculous. Unlimited is ridiculous in another way, because it's only offered because of a bet that everyone won't be going full throttle 24/7.

So, don't call this a scam. Comcast will mention the 300GB cap somewhere, you'll have to sign a document stating you agree to it. A scam would be where they don't mention the cap anywhere, but still enforce it.

If your bandwidth needs are so huge that 300GB won't do it for you, then you're in the minority of users, and should invest in a business connection. Otherwise, quit whining, or buy more bandwidth as you use it.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
When Comcast puts it right under their speed tiers, as they do in Canada, then you have a point.

But they and every other capping ISP does their best to try and hide it away in the TOS/AUP and doesn't really disclose it.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Os:

When Comcast puts it right under their speed tiers, as they do in Canada, then you have a point.

But they and every other capping ISP does their best to try and hide it away in the TOS/AUP and doesn't really disclose it.

It's your duty to read the TOS/AUP, like it or not. I do agree that not putting it out in the open is a shitty move, but it's still not an excuse.

(by the way, my ISP, Mediacom, clearly lists bandwidth caps on the order page under each plan - »mediacomcable.com/site/internet.html - they also list it again in a larger table lower on the page, and include detailed fine print on caps on the bottom of the page)

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os
I agree it shouldn't be hidden. But cable (and telephony and MOST other services) plans are far to complex to fit on a single page flyer, or in a few bullet points on 1 webpage.
ALL consumer have a responsiblity to read, and understand the terms or ask questions about EXACTLY what they are buying. In the case of ComCast residential accounts it is month to month with a 30 day money back guaruntee, thats about as good a free trial is you'll find anywhere.
It also current has no cap, and I'm sure that ComCast will attempt to clearly and loudly disclose what the new cap is, once that is determined.