Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network

Cleaning electronics with gasoline

..spilled inside of it.

You know it's just going to be a great day when the 5 gallon lawnmower gas can tips over in the back of your SUV on the way home from the gas station. And of course, the cap came off, spilling at least a quart of gas.

The good news is that most of the spilled gas was confined in one place. The bad news is that place was a $500 amateur radio antenna tuner. The rest was in the carpeting in the cargo mat. Fortunately, none of it spilled into the high voltage battery of the hybrid system of the vehicle.

So now the tuner stinks badly of gasoline. I have no idea if it still works, but this thing is filled with relays which probably isn't good.

Any ideas on cleaning up from this disaster? I don't have any DeoxIT D5 on hand, or I would start with that. I might have to make a run to the electronics supply house to get some.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Open it up and let it air our. Once all the liquid and vapors are gone just clean it up with the DeoxIT D5.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by ropeguru:

Open it up and let it air our. Once all the liquid and vapors are gone just clean it up with the DeoxIT D5.

Ok, that was my plan. It's sitting outside opened up now. I'll probably let it sit in the sun a couple of days to help the process along.

I'm just glad that other than that and the cargo mat nothing else got wet. Power washed the cargo mat after soaking it with SimpleGreen, so hopefully that will take care of that. It's drying in the sun now.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to UHF
What type of tuner is it? Manual or auto?

UHF
Premium,MVM
Auto

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
reply to UHF
Perhaps also a post-flush with some plain Denatured Alcohol to get any leftover Gas-Additive residue prior to the DeoxIT treatment, just to be thorough...
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

Fortunately, none of it spilled into the high voltage battery of the hybrid system of the vehicle.

bummer. however i find it ironic the gas can spilled inside of a hybrid car.
--
(1) It's either 99¢ or $0.99; not .99¢ (2) It's "so MUCH fun" not "so fun"

mepadre

join:2003-08-15
Waterloo, ON
said by TheMole:

said by UHF:

Fortunately, none of it spilled into the high voltage battery of the hybrid system of the vehicle.

The humor of a gas spill in a hybrid was also not lost on me. However, my first thought when reading this post was whether it was 'regular' or 'high test'?

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by mepadre:

said by TheMole:

said by UHF:

The humor of a gas spill in a hybrid was also not lost on me. However, my first thought when reading this post was whether it was 'regular' or 'high test'?

Regular. I don't use the fancy gas, especially since this was for my lawn mower. I don't need that ethanol crap in my lawn equipment.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by UHF:

Regular. I don't use the fancy gas, especially since this was for my lawn mower. I don't need that ethanol crap in my lawn equipment.

Unless your area is different, all regular gas I have seen has upt to 10% ethanol. None of the stations around here are ethanol free.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Different here. 87 octane is ethanol free. 89 octane is 10% ethanol. You'd think in Iowa it would all be ethanol.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by UHF:

Different here. 87 octane is ethanol free. 89 octane is 10% ethanol. You'd think in Iowa it would all be ethanol.

That is strange. The only pump labeled ethanol here is the 87 pump.

Hmmmm! I better check that

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
Don't use any denatured alcohol, instead use something that is a bit more pure. Try what is left in that jug of moonshine, it'll do the trick and leave no residue. Plus you'll feel much better about the situation.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by Hank:

Don't use any denatured alcohol, instead use something that is a bit more pure. Try what is left in that jug of moonshine, it'll do the trick and leave no residue. Plus you'll feel much better about the situation.

LOL! Good idea!!

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to UHF
DeoxIT leaves behind a lot more residue than I remember. I had some butane sitting on the work bench so shot some of that on the board just for grins. Seems to work pretty well. The smell is gone, at least for now. I'll let it sit for a bit and sniff it again. Maybe I'm just high from the fumes and can't smell anything right now

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to UHF
Has no-one suggested burning the gasoline off?

--
The talented hawk speaks French.

UHF
Premium,MVM
What do you think made me think of the butane? My lighter was empty!!

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to UHF
the gasoline could melt all the plastic inside, like when you put it in a styrofoam cup, better take it apart and look inside!.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Everything inside looks good. Can't see any visual damage. I guess I'll find out when I plug her in.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
said by UHF:

Everything inside looks good. Can't see any visual damage. I guess I'll find out when I plug her in.

Don't forget your protective gear. Hard hat, face shield, nomex fire suit etc,
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by dosdoxies:

Don't forget your protective gear. Hard hat, face shield, nomex fire suit etc,

Excellent point

I, too, have two doxies, btw. Naughty little creatures, but they're fun.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to UHF
So does it work???

iknow
Premium
reply to UHF
i hope it didn't blow up, and you got injured, gasoline vapors are pretty powerful, and i'm not sure how much of an explosion gasoline vapors contained within the relay covers would make, but probably enough to blow the covers off, and possibly damage the relays, hopefully not enough to cause personal injury!. we haven't heard back from you!.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
Been on a weird work schedule, so I haven't had a chance to power the thing up. Turns out this tuner actually has roller inductors with motors in it, and a handful of relays. Looks like a nice unit, so hopefully it survives. I've actually never used it, and wasn't intending to. Got it as a package deal with a radio and antenna and was planning to ebay the tuner.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
Motorized roller inductors, huh?
Pretty neat!
What brand is it?
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

UHF
Premium,MVM
I assumed the 2 motors were driving roller inductors, but looking at the schematic it doesn't show motors or inductors. It's an Icom AT-180.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to UHF
Seems to be working just fine!

iknow
Premium
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

I assumed the 2 motors were driving roller inductors, but looking at the schematic it doesn't show motors or inductors. It's an Icom AT-180.

the inductors are fixed, and selected with relays. the variable capacitors are tuned with MF1 and MF2, the motors. »96.9.26.247/schemi/ACC_matching/···user.pdf
Expand your moderator at work