Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to JTR

Re: What's the BANDWIDTH CAP like?

When it's $120 a month it damn sure is.

These American corporations have got you brainwashed good. It's still laughable that people continue to think bandwidth is some kind of finite resource like gasoline.

UNCAPPED, symmetrical 100 Mbps for under $50 USD a month is very common in Europe and Asia. Symmetrical 1 Gbps for $100 or less is also starting to pick up.

I'm not buying it, and Google is pulling the veil off of everyone's eyes with their fiber rollout too. Americans are finally starting to wake up to the fact that they are getting scammed when it comes to their Internet connectivity thanks to Google rolling out a proper service in their own backyard.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by 09129800:

These American corporations have got you brainwashed good. It's still laughable that people continue to think bandwidth is some kind of finite resource like gasoline.

UNCAPPED, symmetrical 100 Mbps for under $50 USD a month is very common in Europe and Asia. Symmetrical 1 Gbps for $100 or less is also starting to pick up.

I'm not buying it, and Google is pulling the veil off of everyone's eyes with their fiber rollout too. Americans are finally starting to wake up to the fact that they are getting scammed when it comes to their Internet connectivity thanks to Google rolling out a proper service in their own backyard.

Then move to Europe or Asia.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to 09129800

said by 09129800:

I think you need some more experience before comparing the US's network to foreign countries. Want to know why those countries have gigabit/100mbps for ridiculously low prices? It's because the ISP is essentially a country-wide LAN. Connections to the outside internet are horribly slow. I've seen countless posts by people from those countries (Korea, Japan, etc) with "gigabit" lines, who have said the same thing - foreign connections are a tiny fraction of their advertised speed. This is an even bigger issue because most of the world's server are located in the United States and the EU.

Ah yeah, and there's the whole deal with those cheap fiber speeds being only available in the big cities (good luck if you're in a rural area!), and of course the fact that those countries have a small land mass and government-subsidised infrastructure buildout.

Calling me brainwashed? This just shows the depth of your ignorance.

Google's pulling the veil off of everyone's eyes? Ah yes, it's totally not a PR move and a money-looser, which is only sustainable by selling all their subscriber data. What they're doing is possibly illegal. Selling a service below market cost is unsustainable and anti-competitive behavior.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Ha, can't ever accuse Comcast of being anti-competitive, because they don't compete. They sit on their fat monopoly just steal

JTR

Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by Wilsdom:

Ha, can't ever accuse Comcast of being anti-competitive, because they don't compete. They sit on their fat monopoly just steal

Comcast is competing with FiOS. Want to talk about non-competing behavior? Try looking at Frontier.

New York, NY
reply to 88615298

What a very unpatriotic stance to take.

"This guy wants to improve our country? NOT IN MY 'MERRICA!! YOU CAN ACCEPT OUR SHITTY INFRASTRUCTURE OR GIIIIT OUT! WE DON'T NEED NONE OF THAT THERE FANCY FOREIGN INTERNETS"

New York, NY
reply to JTR

said by JTR:

I think you need some more experience before comparing the US's network to foreign countries. Want to know why those countries have gigabit/100mbps for ridiculously low prices? It's because the ISP is essentially a country-wide LAN. Connections to the outside internet are horribly slow. I've seen countless posts by people from those countries (Korea, Japan, etc) with "gigabit" lines, who have said the same thing - foreign connections are a tiny fraction of their advertised speed. This is an even bigger issue because most of the world's server are located in the United States and the EU.

Then why is it that South Korean and Swedish seeders are always able to max out my 150 Mbps download if their connections outside of their countries are so awful?

You are so full of shit it's not even funny.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Awesome reason for everyone else to spend billions on broadband improvements, so YOU cansteal misapproriate the IP of others even faster. (sorry, was it 45 TB of "linux distros" again?)
Why do you have a pathetic 150Mbps line anyway? be a man and pay for a dedicated fiber line! You unamerican bastard!

JTR

Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to 09129800

said by 09129800:

said by JTR:

Then why is it that South Korean and Swedish seeders are always able to max out my 150 Mbps download if their connections outside of their countries are so awful?

You are so full of shit it's not even funny.

((citation needed))

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to 09129800

I didn't say that. The fact is you here whining on a messageboard isn't going to get EU or Asian style broadband here anytime soon. You know how the system works in the US. So my point is if you want those speeds and prices you have no choice but to move

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to JTR

You are so full of shit.
Country-wide LAN my ass. Foreign fiber connections can pull gigabit speeds from outside the country.

Don't spew garbage you know nothing about. Cheap fiber speeds when it's available in the big city, when the majority of the population lives in urban areas, is perfectly fine. Of course when you live in a rural area you are not going to have the same options/prices as you do in the city. That's a moot point, so don't even bring it up as it wasn't even mentioned here.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
reply to JTR

I would love to see your "citation" regarding entire countries not being able to pull their speeds. Show me a citation that shows that large percentage of users do not pull anywhere close to their advertised speeds. Please.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
reply to tshirt

What does it matter what he uses his connection for?

Stop looking at short term, and look at long term. Some people (obviously not you) actually look forward to the best route to provide for the future.

JTR

Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to LightS

said by LightS:

You are so full of shit.
Country-wide LAN my ass. Foreign fiber connections can pull gigabit speeds from outside the country.

Don't spew garbage you know nothing about. Cheap fiber speeds when it's available in the big city, when the majority of the population lives in urban areas, is perfectly fine. Of course when you live in a rural area you are not going to have the same options/prices as you do in the city. That's a moot point, so don't even bring it up as it wasn't even mentioned here.

»About super speeds

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···/c5sfc3i

I found an entire forum thread discussing it a few weeks ago, but some quick Googling failed to turn up anything, and I never bookmarked it. I've seen a lot of people saying that international connections are painfully slow, people located in places like Korea, Japan, Asia, etc.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LightS

That's exactly the point! People who steal rather then pay, or jump back and forth to find the lowest price of the moment, don't encourage the long term investment need to build the needed infrustructure.
Quite the opposite, investors NEED to target a long term, stable customer base BEFORE they invest in even the best product.
and the people here that profess the desire for higher speeds are frequently the same one saying they'll jump to something else in a instant, because even the best available sucks, cost too much, resticts them somehow.

I see no reason to invest in theives, whiners, and deadbeats.
maybe you do

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

said by tshirt:

That's exactly the point! People who steal rather then pay, or jump back and forth to find the lowest price of the moment, don't encourage the long term investment need to build the needed infrustructure.
Quite the opposite, investors NEED to target a long term, stable customer base BEFORE they invest in even the best product.
and the people here that profess the desire for higher speeds are frequently the same one saying they'll jump to something else in a instant, because even the best available sucks, cost too much, resticts them somehow.

I see no reason to invest in theives, whiners, and deadbeats.
maybe you do

So what you're saying is customers who switch back and forth between competitors are thieves, and it's a bad thing when corporations compete on price in a competitive market.

So the decade+ years of duopoly profits telcos have enjoyed are still not enough to invest in long-term projects? Or is Verizon and AT&T abandoning copper and refusing to roll out fiber a "long-term" project?

Are you serious?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

That's not what I said.
I said they need to see stablity going forward, previous years profits don't nessesarily pay for new investments with new longterm payoff windows.
Some people here have complain over the last few years that copper has reach end of life and should die, now the big bells agree, but don't see a pay off in replacing it with fiber.
So you will get your wish, the DUOPOLY will abandon local wireline and hundreds of little competitors will pick up the pieces and compete...or not.
The term Redlining doesn't begin to cover what will really happen, many will fight over the best medium density and growing areas, rural areas (which is still the vast majority of area, even if it's not population wise) will suffer greatly OR be even more HIGHLY subsidized be USF type programs.

One of the links in an article Karl posted last week lead to another (the actual, twice extrapolated conclusions were somewhat different )where FCC personal admitted that universal broadband could NOT happen as the cost per home for a fair number of rural homes for FTTH could reach $50,000.
even at $5000 it would be unaffordable to many and an unlikely investment target for any telco.