uniqs
share rss forum feed

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

How AT&T Works vs. Verizon

This is all you need to know about how these companies approach network modernization:

AT&T:
AT&T plans to shut its 2G network by 2017: »AT&T to Close 2G Network By 2017

vs.

Verizon:
Verizon will expand LTE everywhere its 3G network is by the end of 2013.
»www.investorplace.com/2012/03/ve···-s-aapl/
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Not true I contacted a Verizon employee she told me they will have "most" markets end of 2013 and all markets by 2014.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to IPPlanMan

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

AT&T isn't planning to address this legacy network until 2017. We'll see how far along they are in deploying LTE. If anything, it'll be the token coverage that they are doing now with HSPA+ as the workhorse.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to treichhart

said by treichhart:

Not true I contacted a Verizon employee she told me they will have "most" markets end of 2013 and all markets by 2014.

Well considering we still have 4 1/2 months left in 2012 and they have 75% of the population covered already.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?

Verizon says they have plans to begin offering VoLTE next year. So I expect they'll dump 1Xrtt by the end of 2017 at the latest.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to 88615298

Still I am not even covered by 4G and from what she told me I wont get it until 2014 so and I am rural part of ohio.

Premium
West Tenness

said by treichhart:

Still I am not even covered by 4G and from what she told me I wont get it until 2014 so and I am rural part of ohio.

You'll get it sooner than that. Verizon has been ahead of schedule. I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're from so I can tell if you have 4G near you or not.

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

Then I hope they hurry the eff up and fix their LTE network or handsets. As I've traveled around the country I've noticed LTE drops like crazy. My counter-part and I often have to kick our phones into 3G only to maintain a data connection. (I have a Motorola, he has an HTC)

The problem seems to be that since the phones prefer 4G and 700MHz has longer reach, that introduces problems when you're in fringe signal areas. It rapidly cycles between 4G and 3G, which effectively kills any sort of data connectivity. It's maddening.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to 88615298

»www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a···lte.html

Deep in that article a VZW spokesperson says he wouldn't be surprised if 1X was around until at least 2020, with EVDO being turned down sooner.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by treichhart:

Well considering we still have 4 1/2 months left in 2012 and they have 75% of the population covered already.

Percentage of the population, and how many markets are covered are NOT the same thing...

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

Premium
West Tenness

said by mmay149q:

said by 88615298:

said by treichhart:

Percentage of the population, and how many markets are covered are NOT the same thing...

Matt

Well including today they'll have around 370 markets covered. How many does at&t and Sprint have?

Also % of population matters. Would you rather have 50 big markets and 60% of the US or 200 smaller markets and 20% of the US?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to clone

Well if you have 4G you really don't need 3G. Either way it's repurposing spectrum which is a good thing.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Well including today they'll have around 370 markets covered. How many does at&t and Sprint have?

Also % of population matters. Would you rather have 50 big markets and 60% of the US or 200 smaller markets and 20% of the US?

Well I'm not arguing how many markets they have covered vs the other competitors, however I'd rather have the 200 smaller markets covered, and the reason why is because I hate traveling and as soon as I leave Dallas I'm stuck on 3G, granted Verizon's 3G is fine for my uses (Facebook, some MP3 downloading, updating app's, and YouTube) However it would be nice to be able to go to the lake house in Tawakoni and be able to actually jump on 4G and stream Netflix, or play Star Trek/Tera online.

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein