djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: How AT&T Works vs. Verizon

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

AT&T isn't planning to address this legacy network until 2017. We'll see how far along they are in deploying LTE. If anything, it'll be the token coverage that they are doing now with HSPA+ as the workhorse.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

What does the closure of AT&T's 2G network have to do with modernization? When does Verizon plan to close their CDMA network?

Verizon says they have plans to begin offering VoLTE next year. So I expect they'll dump 1Xrtt by the end of 2017 at the latest.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon's 3G is more capable than AT&T's 2G, but what's more relevant is that since Verizon's LTE deployment will cover its entire 3G footprint by the end of 2013, Verizon's 3G network is simply a fallback. In fact, Verizon isn't planning to sell any 3G-only phones anymore.

Then I hope they hurry the eff up and fix their LTE network or handsets. As I've traveled around the country I've noticed LTE drops like crazy. My counter-part and I often have to kick our phones into 3G only to maintain a data connection. (I have a Motorola, he has an HTC)

The problem seems to be that since the phones prefer 4G and 700MHz has longer reach, that introduces problems when you're in fringe signal areas. It rapidly cycles between 4G and 3G, which effectively kills any sort of data connectivity. It's maddening.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298
»www.pcworld.com/business ··· lte.html

Deep in that article a VZW spokesperson says he wouldn't be surprised if 1X was around until at least 2020, with EVDO being turned down sooner.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Well if you have 4G you really don't need 3G. Either way it's repurposing spectrum which is a good thing.