share rss forum feed

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to LINCSAT

Re: Rogers NEW Ultimate 150/10 With Hitron

What is that weird electrical dongle looking thing on the back of the modem? It reminds me of my wife's BB usb charger.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

I wondered that too (I have no idea...) but my first guess was that it is a right-angle power connector so that the box lies flat on the wall?

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by kliles:

I wondered that too (I have no idea...) but my first guess was that it is a right-angle power connector so that the box lies flat on the wall?

I can't see it being the power supply. This modem needs an AC to DC conversion, usually in the form of a brick. It also has a traditional power plug on the back. Perhaps it offers some other functionality.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

I can't see it being the power supply. This modem needs an AC to DC conversion, usually in the form of a brick. It also has a traditional power plug on the back. Perhaps it offers some other functionality.

Maybe it's for MoCA (Multimedia over Coax). maybe you plug in an extension cord to it, or it has some retractable cord inside that you pull out and plug it to an outlet for MoCA.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

said by HiVolt:

said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

Maybe it's for MoCA (Multimedia over Coax). maybe you plug in an extension cord to it, or it has some retractable cord inside that you pull out and plug it to an outlet for MoCA.

But why would Rogers include that? MoCA is not something they support for anything aside from their whole home pvr service and that does not require the set top boxes to be hooked up to any sort of router or modem.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Well, considering I spend a massive amount of time researching PC related hardware it sure would be nice if someone were to post the exact model number of Rogers latest cash cow in a box (then we would all know what the heck it is)......

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

said by elitefx:

said by HiVolt:

Well, considering I spend a massive amount of time researching PC related hardware it sure would be nice if someone were to post the exact model number of Rogers latest cash cow in a box (then we would all know what the heck it is)......

»www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn-2/

It's a customized version of the CGN2. The Rogers version has the red spots to make it consistent with the company branding, not sure if there are any internal or firmware based customizations.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to yyzlhr

Errr, I meant to say Powerline Networking, not MOCA... sorry...

Maybe they'll be offering one of those plug in adapters that you can plug in wherever you need internet (but wifi doesnt reach or the devices dont have wifi).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

Technically you don't need a brick, it's just cheaper to provide one for the 120/220v 50/60hz conversions.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......