spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gentilesc

@comcast.net

[HD] Guide not Widescreen

Anyone else's guide changed where it no longer is in widescreen, but rather only appears like letter box. I live in West Haven CT area and have Cisco Boxes.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

sounds like you need to go back through the HD setup.....power down your box then hit HD zoom on your remote, and follow the prompts to enable/disable certain resolutions...
--
I'm better than you!

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to gentilesc

It looks like the SA/Cisco boxes in CT and MN are being updated to the new "S26" version guide software this week (»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-54631), and from the posts in this thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1377163), other SA/Cisco-equipped customers in those states are also reporting the same issue.

One poster said:
"I think this is a case where it is a feature rather than a bug. The guide is supposed to be 4:3. Previously, the guide was stretched to 16:9 on the Cisco boxes here in Minneapolis, but it looks like Comcast's finally pushed through an upgrade so that it is displayed in its normal 4:3 aspect ratio."

rej4sl

join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN
reply to gentilesc

Yup, were are in Minneapolis , and ours did it a couple of days ago. It is now version 26. We hate the look it gives on demand where it is out of synch. I hope they change it back to widescreen soon.

rej4sl

join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

Spoke to Tech support - they are aware of it - and hopefully it will be fixed in a day or two !!!!

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ
reply to gentilesc

My Pace box displays it's guides Widescreen. My Motorola don't.

I had to jump through hoops to get the Pace box for my 3DTV.
My local Comcast office in East Windsor allays seed to be out of stock of the 3D enabled Pace RNG-110 HD. A Comcast phone need up arranging for one to be mailed to me.

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
reply to gentilesc

Wait, the guide is supposed to be widescreen? I have had both a DCX and now RNG, and both guides were 4:3 even though 16:9 is properly set. Is there a way I can make mine not look stupid too?

spidershowl

join:2012-07-25
New York, NY

said by NeoandGeo:

Wait, the guide is supposed to be widescreen? I have had both a DCX and now RNG, and both guides were 4:3 even though 16:9 is properly set. Is there a way I can make mine not look stupid too?

I think you have to talk to your customer service and solve the issue as this is not related to the hardware. The new update to the Guide is the reason behind the small screen display of it.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

said by spidershowl:

said by NeoandGeo:

I think you have to talk to your customer service and solve the issue as this is not related to the hardware. The new update to the Guide is the reason behind the small screen display of it.

Since NeoandGeo said he has had a "DCX" box, it looks like he is in a Motorola-equipped area and is not affected by the SA/Cisco guide software update. I took his comment to mean that the Moto areas always had their guide display in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

An official response from Comcast has just been posted to that thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···1#M54541 ):

For our customers with Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded HD cable boxes; there has been a slight change in the latest version of the guide (currently available in CT, MN and LA).

When on an HD channel and this guide, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format.

We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets.

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time.

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22
Reviews:
·Comcast

"The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time"

This is a classic Comcast reply - What this statement really implies is - "Our other customers have to tolerate this inferior guide, so now you will have to as well."

Comcast could careless about the "user experience". Comcast is 10 years behind the times. Their channel guide is inferior at best...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

There is another thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum regarding the availability of an HD/16:9 program guide: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1384697

Comcast's response to that was (»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···1#M54586 ):

We have two 16x9 widescreen guide in deployment to customers now with additional locations scheduled for this year and next

On-Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

The following Comcast areas that use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes already have On-Screen Guide 2.0 available: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Minnesota.

New Mexico and Texas are also scheduled for 2012. Available with the Cisco RNG 200N and Cisco RNG 150N cable boxes.

On-Screen Guide 3.0 »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

Currently available to new customers in Augusta, Boston, Atlanta and Chattanooga
Additional locations are scheduled for 2012 and 2013.

EDIT: BTW - Russ maintains a separate thread in this forum on "New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas": »New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)