how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

petebert

join:2003-12-01
Manchester, MI

[DSL] No service after firmware

In rural SE Michigan, had the 6 Mb service for a few months. They offered me a 12 Mb package and installed it yesterday.

I was having problems where after a few minutes of inactivity the "internet" light would turn red. If I logged into the modem it would turn green. I have a ticket for this, a tech is supposed to come by.

The new modem they gave me is a Zyxel P-663HN-51 which the phone rep didn't even have listed in his system.

In the mean time I thought I'd try a firmware update. Got the only one on the Zyxel website, date 2010. Now DSL2 flashes continuously and the internet light is always red.

I noticed under the advanced settings that it had kicked out my username/password with the firmware update so I'm assuming it's a setting somewhere causing this.

I've got it set up as

VPI 0
VCI 35
ubr without PCR
PPPoE LLC
username@frontier.com
PPPoE service name I left blank

This modem has a diagnostics page, here's what's listed

Test your ENET(1-4) Connection: FAIL
Test your Wireless Connection: PASS

Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS

Test PPP server connection: FAIL
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: FAIL
Ping default gateway: FAIL
Ping primary Domain Name Server: PASS

mkrasz

join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY
The P663 is one of the modems for Frontier's new bonded DSL service. It is deployed with a custom firmware that was tested with our bonded capable DSLAMS.

The 12M package is one of the Bonded packages. Did they deploy it bonded?

petebert

Manchester, MI
I wondered if it had a custom firmware since the admin password went to the "1234" listed in the manual and not "admin" like it was out of the box.

Yes it was bonded, I had sets of info for both DSL 1 and 2.

petebert

Manchester, MI
Is there a way to get a copy of frontiers firmware to load back into it?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Probably from someone within the company. Frontier hasn't really offered firmware up for grabs on their support website. Firmware upgrades are normally done using the remote management backdoor found within the modem, so a roll-back may just result in another upgrade depending on Frontier's update policy.

mkrasz

join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY
reply to petebert
The values you tried look good. I am not familiar with Zyxel's stock firmware.

Call support and ask for a replacement.

petebert

Manchester, MI
Since I already had a ticket they came by today and swapped out the modem. Looks like I still have my original problem though. After 5-10 minutes of inactivity the internet light goes red. I verified that dial on demand is turned off.