No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

3 edits

CallCentric Inbound CID-CNAM Report

FYI

This is a list of some recent inbound calls to my Eastern Ontario Canada CallCentric DID, and what showed on its CID :

Local number from a Rogers cell subscriber had city & province, in upper case, instead of a name.

Local number from a Virgin (now wholly owned by Bell) cell subscriber had city & province, in upper case, instead of a name.

Long distance from a Florida cell number while the caller was roaming in my local calling area showed FULL Name & Number (not sure of name of his provider), in UPPER case.

Local number from a Walmart in an adjacent city (prob'ly Bell Canada POTS) showed FULL Name & Number, UPPER case.

A couple of other residential callers who I believe to be Bell Canada POTS subscribers each showed the number, along with the surname and first initial, which I think is how those particular numbers are actually listed. - These were in UPPER case.

Calls from my new Anveo DID would show only the number and no name, even though I think I had programmed a name for it to broadcast. - Further, the number format was weird in that it showed 011NPANXXxxxx with no dashes, and the same thing again on the CNAM line of the CID. - If I changed the Anveo web portal to send an alternate number and name which I had gotten verified by Anveo, the same format persisted.

However, the verification call from the autodialer at Anveo to my CallCentric DID showed a properly formatted number, followed by Philadelphia PA, which itself just happens to be 15 characters, and this was in MIXED case, where other examples of city and state/province are usually in completely UPPER case.

A few numbers for which I had established Phonebook entries in the CallCentric web portal displayed the first 15 characters of whatever name that I had set up for each number, and of course the number.

Cheers !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
I bet all of the Bell POTS numbers you saw names for were listed in the phone book*.

* Not Callcentric's phone book, but the actual paper thing they leave on people's doorsteps every year.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
I'm confused by what this means or if it has any relevance to anything. »my.callcentric.com/help.php?id=85

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
It's a trait with any third party CNAM database. That's where they get their data.

Some landlines can be not listed in the phone book but still have a name display when they call other landlines. These callers often do *NOT* have their name show up correctly when calling VoIP customers that use third party databases.

I was just providing a further clue for the observations posted.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

3 edits
So then what exactly would be appearing on the display? My Verizon Wireless cellphone shows as WIRELESS CALLER in capitals with the number being displayed without hyphins, but in the past it would show up as NEW JERSEY also all in capitals. Now when I recieve phone calls on Callcentric for example, it comes across as whatever the subscriber programmed on their account which could be all capitals, all lowercase, mixed case, or even numbers and symbols.
I would think that it's possible that this would be all based on the hardware display on the handset, base, or caller ID device.

--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2

[Off topic]

@Mike Wolf I think you may mean sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com see here

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

2 edits
Dunno, thats just what comes up on my handset under Add. CNIP. Does it not work otherwise? I dunno. I fixed it, thanks.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
said by Mike Wolf:

Dunno, thats just what comes up on my handset under Add. CNIP. Does it not work otherwise? I dunno. I fixed it, thanks.

You should also drop the '#9' from the Gigaset URI. The #9 only is used on Gigaset phones to use the Gigaset network.

And actually, Im not sure that the Gigaset network allows inbound sip calls from other networks anyways.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Actually if I use the Gigaset sip uri, I can call into it using Callcentric. I can't however call out with sip uri using the Gigaset network.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Trev

Re: CallCentric Inbound CID-CNAM Report

said by Trev:

I bet all of the Bell POTS numbers you saw names for were listed in the phone book*.

* Not Callcentric's phone book, but the actual paper thing they leave on people's doorsteps every year....

.... , and without wrapping them at all anymore, not even a plastic baggie !

Wouldn't surprise me, though I have not looked any of them up on canada411.ca , where I would also expect anything in the BH#$ELL hard copy directory to appear.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm confused by what this means or if it has any relevance to anything. »my.callcentric.com/help.php?id=85

Was that post for ME or for Trev ?

If for me, I'm simply alerting potential subscribers as to what CID info to expect to see in the REAL world on a Canadian CallCentric DID (vs what their FAQ may tell you) from various callers, and to possibly compare notes with any other CallCentric subscribers who care to post descriptions of what THEY are seeing.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
It was for anyone who cared to respond I'd still love to see screenshots of the display (with the blurring of the number of course) from anyone who cares to share.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm confused by your confusion.

The page means exactly what it says.

CallCentric provides free inbound caller ID name (CNAM) for which they have contracted with one of the LIDB companies that provides that data.

If you want the service, enable it.

If not, disable it. You might choose to do that if you have a setup such as Asterisk and you incorporate a different source of CNAM lookups.

That's all it is, no more, no less.

--------------------------

Yes, CallCentric's CNAM lookups seem to have issues regarding Canadian numbers.

And most everyone's CNAM lookups have problems with Verizon Wireless, because Verizon Wireless does not do LIDB population except by request, and they just started offering that as an option for their customers....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm confused by your confusion.

The page means exactly what it says....

The only thing worse than being confused together is being confused individually. [-alternate dimensional Oscar Wilde]

Therefive, let's all be confused together.

= = = = = = = = =

I completely missed Mike's point earlier.

He wasn't confused by anything which Trev or I had posted, but instead by the wording of the CallCentric page which he had linked.

Now that I'm clear about all of THAT, let me suggest that FREE is generally a good thing (unless it means poorer quality of the good or service), but I do not recall just how I have that parameter set the own CC portal for my own DID. - I will check.

said by PX Eliezer70:

Yes, CallCentric's CNAM lookups seem to have issues regarding Canadian numbers....

...which was the general reason why I decided to start this thread.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to PX Eliezer70
Oh so it doesn't affect what shows up on the Caller ID screen?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Davesnothere
I had a point? Cool!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Oh so it doesn't affect what shows up on the Caller ID screen?

It DOES affect...., but only if the caller's name is not in your CallCentric phonebook.

Your CallCentric phonebook will always take priority, regardless of how you set that option.

And the number (if received at all) will always display, regardless of how you set that option.

AND - for the record - I had mine ENABLED when I received all of the calls for which I posted the info in my OP of this thread.

But, as PX said, there is inconsistency of what names may be found if and when CC needs to do and then does a lookup.

And, BTW, VOIP.MS charges (about a penny, IIRC) to do this kind of lookup, but their cost per minute for the call is usually lower.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
So if I have no names in my Callcentric phonebook, what differences would I see between enabling the option and disabling the option on a side by side comparison?

gweidenh

Houston, TX
There would be no difference. If the number is in your phonebook, Callcentric would not do a database lookup and instead use whatever you have in your phonebook.

For for instance, if the CNAM database has "SMITH JOE" for a certain number, but instead, you have "Uncle Joe" in your Callcentric phonebook, you will see "Uncle Joe" no matter what setting you have set.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to Davesnothere
Callcentric CNAM is crap for me. I'd say that less than 20% of the people calling me had correct (if any) CNAM sent. I ended up using Calleridservice.com as my CNAM provider using a SipSorcery script to do the dip.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

So if I have no names in my Callcentric phonebook, what differences would I see between enabling the option and disabling the option on a side by side comparison?

quote:
Caller ID with Name :
By ENABLING this option, all inbound calls to paid phone numbers on your Callcentric account will have the Caller ID number looked up to provide the associated name of calling number.

MY interpretation is that set ENABLED will force a CNAM (name) lookup, so will display the number AND a name, and set DISABLED will not, so will display only the number.

Any CallCentric phonebook name entries will override in both cases.

Based upon that CC link, the only thing upon which I am fuzzy is what would happen if the caller IS broadcasting both number AND name. - Would THAT name info get dropped and a new lookup happen from CC's LIDB partner ? (assuming that you had it enabled) - Or would the caller's broadcast CNAM make it through in either setting ?

(BTW, it looks to me like gweidenh has misread your question and first has answered what would happen if you DID have some phonebook entries - The correct answer, but to a different question.)

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to gweidenh
That doesn't answer my question. I don't use the callcentric phonebook. If I have the setting turned off, what shows up on the screen. If I have the setting turned on, what do I see?

gweidenh

Houston, TX
said by Mike Wolf:

That doesn't answer my question. I don't use the callcentric phonebook. If I have the setting turned off, what shows up on the screen. If I have the setting turned on, what do I see?

i misread your question

If you have no phonebook entries and CNAM disabled, you would just get the phone number of the caller "555-555-1212".

If you have no phonebook entires and CNAM is enabled, Callcentric would do a database lookup and send the caller name "SMITH JOE" instead

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Enabled: You will see the caller ID name, such as [Olive & Cole Oyl] or [Elzie Segar], as supplied by the LIDB company. However, some names won't come up, as has been noted above, such as most Verizon Wireless customers and some Canadian subjects.

-----------------------

Disabled: There will not be any caller ID name, only the caller ID number. The place for the name will be blank, such as [ ].

Thus, disabling gives results in line with:

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

"Antigonish" by William Hughes Mearns

"The little men who weren't there...."

"Russian Rhapsody"
(1944 Warner Brothers Merrie Melodies animated short subject)
(aka "Gremlins from the Kremlin")

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River

1 edit
reply to gweidenh
Post now irrelevant.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

I'd say that less than 20% of the people calling me had correct (if any) CNAM sent.

In my experience most of the people calling me display correct CNAM, except for Verizon Wireless customers.

I agree that Calleridservice.com is a good company. I tried out some of their service with good results.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

....what would happen if the caller IS broadcasting both number AND name. - Would THAT name info get dropped and a new lookup happen from CC's LIDB partner....

Yes, AFAIK.

I believe this happens with some Canadian telcos too, as the practice of transmitting the name in the SS7 data is [not] the same among all the Canadian carriers.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by Mike Wolf:

Enabled: You will see the caller ID name, such as [Olive & Cole Oyl] or [Elzie Segar], as supplied by the LIDB company. However, some names won't come up, as has been noted above, such as most Verizon Wireless customers and some Canadian subjects....

Actually, would it not display [Olive & Cole Oy] ? (the first 15 characters of your example)

OY !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Post now irrelevant.

WHOSE Elephant ?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by Davesnothere:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Post now irrelevant.

WHOSE Elephant ?

Y'know, I was considering going with that but I didn't want to make a flap.

----------------------------------------------

For those who have no idea what we're talking about:

Chicolini: Now I aska you one. What has a trunk, but no key, weighs 2,000 pounds and lives in a circus?

Prosecutor: That's irrelevant.

Chicolini: Irrelephant? Hey, that'sa that answer. There's a whole lot of irrelephants in the circus.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0023969/quotes
Marx Brothers' Duck Soup