berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to koitsu

Re: [My Review] WD Caviar Red (WD10EFRX)

Why do you make all the bits 0?

Edit: found this:

Why would I want to Zero Fill my drive?

The most common reasons to Zero Fill a SATA or ATA (IDE) hard drive are:
  • to remove a virus that cannot be removed without destroying the boot sector.
  • to change from one operating system to another and wish to remove everything from the drive.
  • to erase confidential information for privacy reasons.
  • to scan for bad sectors that can be detected and replaced with good spare sectors when writing to the sectors.

By design, modern disc drives maintain spare sectors for reallocation purposes. Usually, sectors become difficult to read long before they become impossible to read. In this situation the actual data bytes in the sector are preserved and transferred to the new spare during a sector reallocation. Similarly, when a disc drive writes data (like a zero fill erase procedure) and encounters a problem, the drive firmware retires the problem sector and activates a replacement before giving successful write status.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

Your question should have been placed in the below thread, and not a thread pertaining to a review of a specific model of hard disk:

»Re: Repair or Replace Disk Warning on Brand New WD Caviar Black.

Can you please re-post it so I can provide the answer/explanation in the correct thread? Thanks.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

shearer
Northern Lights
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Asia
reply to koitsu

I see the Intellipark feature is still present on the Caviar Red. Is this no longer a bad thing given that from your tests, LCC count doesn't skyrocket easily anymore?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

2 edits

Edit: Sorry, I'll rephrase (2nd time, sigh -- I'm tired and cranky. )

Whether or not this "IntelliPark" feature is "enabled or disabled" per what marketing and PR people say, or what PDFs say, doesn't matter as much as how the drive actually behaves. My blog details its behaviour, and it's a huge improvement (especially compared to the Greens).

The fact of the matter is this: ATA APM functions are entirely disabled, the Reds do not emit any kind of noise (clicking, thunking, screeching, etc.) to indicate head parking, and the LCC counter does not increase.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to koitsu

Reds are apparently selling very well -- initially, they were about $10 - $20 more than comparable greens, but now, there's an almost $100 (!!) difference between the 3TB models.
»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···0Digital

I guess I shouldn't procrastinated.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

1 edit

NewEgg has their prices jacked up beyond belief, but only for 2TB models and larger. For example, TigerDirect (through Amazon) is selling the 2TB for $129, yet NewEgg is selling it for $179. The 3TB is $227 vs. NewEgg's $279. Here's the trending:

WD10EFRX: »camelegg.com/product/N82E16822236342
WD20EFRX: »camelegg.com/product/N82E16822236343
WD30EFRX: »camelegg.com/product/N82E16822236344

I've tried to tell people before, the prices of these things have nothing to do with classic "supply & demand" rules. This is someone intentionally making a crapload of money.
--

jackharvest

join:2012-09-19

1 recommendation

reply to berserken

I've been scouring the internet for someone to confirm that a zero-fill erase method PROVOKES the hard drive to switch off bad sectors, and instead utilize spare good ones.

For this reason, I signed up to this forum to show my gratitude. Thank you!

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
reply to koitsu

Sorry to recap an old thread, but wanted to reply to myself (and to shearer See Profile) about IntelliPark:

It appears that Western Digital has updated all of their WD Red product documentation, removing any mention of IntelliPark. This conflicts with their first set of product documentation for the drive, which originally stated the drives did have the feature (and is why the field was labelled "Yes" on my blog). I've subsequently updated my blog + added a note to reflect that fact.

TL;DR -- It does not appear that the WD Red drives have IntelliPark.

It just goes to show that when companies get too big, the likelihood of them dropping the ball, even in their own product documentation, increases dramatically.
--

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

What is it now, 7200 I assume? BTW I checked your blog entry to see if it was mentioned there and saw the funniest of ads at the bottom of the page. The ad was a YouTube video for Will it Blend?. You haven't threatened to blend any of your drives have you? LOL

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

IntelliPark != IntelliPower; former has to do with head parking, latter has to do (supposedly) with variable drive RPM. (See why I hate marketing terms?) There are still conflicting reports on what IntelliPower actually does (some people have done tests showing the drives run at 7200rpm, others insist the drives are 5400rpm or 6000rpm).

I haven't blended drives, but I have destroyed quite a few platters in my time. IBM and Hitachi drives are my favourite, because their platters are made of glass + have a magnetic substrate applied to them. They shatter quite nicely.
--

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

Whoops. Yeah, I misread that.

Goku

@andorpac.ad
reply to koitsu

Wrong!
IntelliPark = IntelliSeek which is the famous head parking feature only available on the Green hard drives.
IntelliPower = variable speed, I think it goes from 5400 to 5900 but no sure.

**A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM**

the best drives for me = Samsung F3 500G
Hitachi = junk

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

This: != generally means not equals to so he's correct.