spc
uniqs

lakerfan82
join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

lakerfan82 to TitusTroy

to TitusTroy

Re: BBC America HD coming?

Now we just need the HD on demand folder!

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler

Anon

Yes, the VOD Folder will be good. I am sure it will appear within the next couple days. (I hope)
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to lakerfan82

to lakerfan82
said by lakerfan82:

Now we just need the HD on demand folder!

From the official announcement. "Verizon also plans to add BBC AMERICA HD to its FiOS TV Video on Demand offering soon."

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

So rage on about how 1080i is "better" but if you are happy then enjoy as it's new HD content and that always a good thing regardless how they broadcast it.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by danclan:

you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

So rage on about how 1080i is "better" but if you are happy then enjoy as it's new HD content and that always a good thing regardless how they broadcast it.

Whether 1080i or 720p is better than the other is usually in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find the 720p stations (e.g. ESPN, ABC, Fox in Los Angeles, etc.) to be "softer" than the 1080i stations (e.g. HDNet Movies, CNN, CBS in Los Angeles). This goes for the LA stations when received over the air. Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I won't get in an argument with anybody on which is better because it doesn't really matter. So don't jump on my comment please!
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to danclan

Premium Member

to danclan
said by danclan:

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by UnnDunn:

said by danclan:

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

Not false at all. There is no ONE scenario in which 720p is better there are many. We can beat this to death but if you like what you see and are happy then it wont matter as only a very small minority of users ever even know what the resolution is of what they are watching or even care.

Between source material and our televisions the image has been manipulated multiple times - compression/conversion and processing by the STB and finally your TV you rarely every get to see true 720p or 1080i images.

Watch a bluray then watch the same show from a major broadcaster and THEN people can really see what they have been missing.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival

love how they launch it just a day before the new Top Gear series starts.....the wrong Top Gear series

this channel wont be relevant for almost 6 months till the UKs version new season comes around...