join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Road Runner Safe Storage's Security Breach

I just got this e-mail:

"Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you of a recent security incident involving your Road Runner Safe Storage account, which may have exposed your password. Recently, an unauthorized third party accessed one of our databases. As soon as we learned of the attack, we limited all access to the database and thus the vulnerability was eliminated. However, as a result of this incident, your account credentials may have been exposed.

The database that was accessed contained information you would have entered when you first created your account, including your name, e-mail address, user ID and password, your hint question/answer, and if you ever purchased more storage, possibly your billing address. Please be assured that no credit card numbers were accessed as a result of the attack and that none of the content that you previously stored with us could have been accessed.

As a result of this incident, we have changed your password to protect against any unauthorized access to your Safe Storage account. Should you still be using your Safe Storage account, upon your next login, you will need to use the forgot password? link to retrieve and reset your password.

We take privacy and data security very seriously and value the trust our customers place in us. If you use a similar password across multiple accounts, change your password on these accounts. As a general best practice, it's important to use complex passwords that are hard to guess and to change them regularly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. For additional information, please visit www.swapdrive.com/alert. We have also set up a hotline to answer any questions you may have at 1-855-815-2719.

Thank you for your attention,

Symantec Corp. for Swapdrive.com/Road Runner Safe Storage"
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

Got that email too.

I trashed it as an obvious phish.

jst3751
Premium
join:2004-07-08
Rowland Heights, CA

1 recommendation

Really? Where in the email is it asking you to input your information? Where in the email is it directing you to go to a third party site?

Maybe you should go back and reread the email?

bhawleyusa

join:2008-09-21
Clayton, NC

1 recommendation

Yes it is true.

»www.swapdrive.com/alert/

Peter K

@rr.com
reply to sivran

This is the real deal...not a phish. Just got off a live chat with a Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner associate named Jonathan Harris. He told me to reset my password. Good luck.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Not such safe storage after all!

LKR1965

@rr.com
reply to antdude

I got this too and thought it might not be legit. It does give a phone # and a website to go to. I was more concerned because yesterday I got the call from "Windows tech support" wanting me to pass to him control of my computer. Then this one wants me to go to "swapdrive.com" Just seems fishy.

A Non Name

@rr.com
reply to jst3751

I received this email in my Gmail account which promptly sent it to the spam folder. Why would an email about a Roadrunner service be sent to a Gmail account? The two accounts are completely separate and unknown to each other.

Furthermore, it's directing you to symantec-corporation.com even though it says swapdrive.com. Take a look at that site and tell me if it's legit. It's not.

It's a blatant phishing attempt.

*DELETE THE EMAIL*

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to jst3751

Well for one, it came to an email address that I've never associated with RR. Second, it didn't come from RR and I'd never heard of a third party's involvement with Safe Storage. Then it asked me to click a link that I was suspicious of. Given these (especially the first) I found it hard to judge the email innocent.

If it had come from RR, to my RR address, and included no links, I might've believed it to be legit.

I did still manually visit the Safe Storage site. Had to dig through RR's faqs to find the damn url to do it. My RR login doesn't work, which would lend credence to the email, but I decided not to bother trying to use the Forgot Password link since I haven't used Safe Storage in years and barely used it even back then.

In all this hubbub though I did discover that since RR's password policy has changed, I can't change my RR password.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Rebellious

join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

The sender claims to be Symantec, how did they get my emal address?! Why is Symantec writing to me? Shouldn't Time Warner be taking responsibility for this? The language is slimey... that's the problem with the internet, too many crooks & assholes so there's no credibility. This could be your local congressman or even the President... yeah right.

In case you didn't know, Time Warner email login is not secure, why haven't they fixed that?

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Well it must be true.. I tried logging into Safe Storage and it required me to reset my Password.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I never got an email though.

MonkeysMommy

@professo.net
reply to antdude

This is very real! I have been on the phone with Time Warner for 30 minutes now and finally got the answer after being transferred 4 times. They received the alert from Symantic on Wednesday. He said there was not much information in the briefing, but he said that it is real and that they (Symantic) have told TWC employees to tell customers to call the 855 number listed on the e-mail. He also said that it was for customers who might have accessed online storage between the dates of 6-15 through 7-18. Too late now, but I am certainly deleting my documents I have on there and will not be using this service anymore!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by MonkeysMommy :

This is very real! I have been on the phone with Time Warner for 30 minutes now and finally got the answer after being transferred 4 times. They received the alert from Symantic on Wednesday. He said there was not much information in the briefing, but he said that it is real and that they (Symantic) have told TWC employees to tell customers to call the 855 number listed on the e-mail. He also said that it was for customers who might have accessed online storage between the dates of 6-15 through 7-18. Too late now, but I am certainly deleting my documents I have on there and will not be using this service anymore!

Symantic?
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

jst3751
Premium
join:2004-07-08
Rowland Heights, CA
reply to A Non Name

said by A Non Name :

I received this email in my Gmail account which promptly sent it to the spam folder. Why would an email about a Roadrunner service be sent to a Gmail account? The two accounts are completely separate and unknown to each other.

Furthermore, it's directing you to symantec-corporation.com even though it says swapdrive.com. Take a look at that site and tell me if it's legit. It's not.

It's a blatant phishing attempt.

*DELETE THE EMAIL*

Ah shucks, you are wrong. Thanks for playing though.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to antdude

Closing on 10/31/2012!

"... Please Read: An important message about your Road Runner Safe Storage account

Dear Road Runner Subscriber:

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you have a Road
Runner Safe Storage account. This email is to notify you that Road Runner will
decommission the Safe Storage service on October 31, 2012..."

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to jst3751

Re: Road Runner Safe Storage's Security Breach

It may have been legit, but it bore all the marks of a phish.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Closing on 10/31/2012!

said by antdude:

"... Please Read: An important message about your Road Runner Safe Storage account

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you have a Road
Runner Safe Storage account. This email is to notify you that Road Runner will
decommission the Safe Storage service on October 31, 2012..."

Got this one too, although I never used the service.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to A Non Name

Re: Road Runner Safe Storage's Security Breach

said by A Non Name :

Because it is sent to the email that you have registered for online billpay.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Well all, looks like post-breach they are closing down shop:

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you have a Road Runner Safe Storage account. This email is to notify you that Road Runner will decommission the Safe Storage service on October 31, 2012.

Please go to »safestorage.rr.com to login to your account. You may be asked to reset your password; to do so select the "forgot password?" link on the login page and follow the instructions.

Once logged in, download and save any files that you want to keep to your local computer. Alternatively, you may choose to move your files to one of these free, online backup services:

Microsoft SkyDrive: »skydrive.com

Dropbox: »www.dropbox.com

Files stored in Road Runner Safe Storage will not be available for download after October 31, 2012. We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause.

Sincerely,
Road Runner Customer Care

Have a question? Chat with us.

© 2012 Time Warner Cable and the Time Warner Cable logo(s) are trademarks of Time Warner Inc. Used under license. Road Runner is ™ and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

This message was sent to somebody@domain.somewhere. Parts of this message may contain promotional information about Time Warner Cable and its services. To change your personal settings please click here. If you do not wish to receive any further emails from Time Warner Cable, safely unsubscribe, or write to TWC DNE, 526 S. Main Street, Suite 705, Akron, Ohio 44311.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

Not a clever idea posting your email address.

Hob

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

1. Hadn't realized it was in there
2. Its Fixed
3. Dont really care as that email address already gets a shit ton of spam on its own, whats a few more gonna do! Spamcop will just have more to play with.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

2 recommendations

Many years ago I talked to a gentleman who accused the company I worked for of selling his email address for money! He was being killed by spam. Of course when I googled the address, I found more than 100 hits.

He still never understood.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

Well my lil friend, you saw it, if you want to do some hunting, have at it, lol