to antdude

Re: Road Runner Safe Storage's Security Breach

Got that email too.

I trashed it as an obvious phish.

Peter K
@rr.com

Peter K

Anon

This is the real deal...not a phish. Just got off a live chat with a Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner associate named Jonathan Harris. He told me to reset my password. Good luck.
jst3751
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
Rowland Heights, CA

1 recommendation

jst3751 to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
Really? Where in the email is it asking you to input your information? Where in the email is it directing you to go to a third party site?

Maybe you should go back and reread the email?
bhawleyusa
join:2008-09-21
Clayton, NC

1 recommendation

bhawleyusa

Yes it is true.

»www.swapdrive.com/alert/

A Non Name
@rr.com

A Non Name to jst3751

Anon

to jst3751
I received this email in my Gmail account which promptly sent it to the spam folder. Why would an email about a Roadrunner service be sent to a Gmail account? The two accounts are completely separate and unknown to each other.

Furthermore, it's directing you to symantec-corporation.com even though it says swapdrive.com. Take a look at that site and tell me if it's legit. It's not.

It's a blatant phishing attempt.

*DELETE THE EMAIL*

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to jst3751

Premium Member

to jst3751
Well for one, it came to an email address that I've never associated with RR. Second, it didn't come from RR and I'd never heard of a third party's involvement with Safe Storage. Then it asked me to click a link that I was suspicious of. Given these (especially the first) I found it hard to judge the email innocent.

If it had come from RR, to my RR address, and included no links, I might've believed it to be legit.

I did still manually visit the Safe Storage site. Had to dig through RR's faqs to find the damn url to do it. My RR login doesn't work, which would lend credence to the email, but I decided not to bother trying to use the Forgot Password link since I haven't used Safe Storage in years and barely used it even back then.

In all this hubbub though I did discover that since RR's password policy has changed, I can't change my RR password.
jst3751
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
Rowland Heights, CA

jst3751 to A Non Name

Premium Member

to A Non Name
said by A Non Name :

I received this email in my Gmail account which promptly sent it to the spam folder. Why would an email about a Roadrunner service be sent to a Gmail account? The two accounts are completely separate and unknown to each other.

Furthermore, it's directing you to symantec-corporation.com even though it says swapdrive.com. Take a look at that site and tell me if it's legit. It's not.

It's a blatant phishing attempt.

*DELETE THE EMAIL*

Ah shucks, you are wrong. Thanks for playing though.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

It may have been legit, but it bore all the marks of a phish.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to A Non Name

Anon

to A Non Name
said by A Non Name :

Because it is sent to the email that you have registered for online billpay.