join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Going to be next to impossible

MSOs aren't going to give up their $20/mo cash hog which is their digital box + DVR service.

But if they could get a DBS provider to bite like DirecTV it could end up like an iPhone...people may switch providers to get the device if it doesn't suck and as a result, MSOs would have to come get it just like Verizon and Sprint did for iPhones. And with DBS being nearly universally available, every MSO COULD feel the pressure to offer the device.

Of course there will be haters that matter what, declare any device of this sort DOA just as they did the iPhone and iPad.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

1 recommendation

said by skeechan:

MSOs aren't going to give up their $20/mo cash hog which is their digital box + DVR service.

I guess you've never heard of cable card devices then.

Even though Comcast is the biggest cabelco, you could get their complete service without renting any of their equipment (outside of a cable card). Xbox 360 for On Demand service, Tivo or HTPC as a dvr, and use your own modem for internet and phone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

They support cablecards because the FCC forced them to.

MSOs were dragged kicking and screaming to cablecards.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by skeechan:

They support cablecards because the FCC forced them to.

MSOs were dragged kicking and screaming to cablecards.

So what! That support is there and could be used by Apple.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits

Uh, obviously that isn't what they're doing. They don't need to negotiate with MSOs to make a cablecard device. If Apple makes a cablecard device, FCC mandates that the MSOs permit it. MSOs wouldn't have a choice just like they don't have a choice with TiVo.

The only reason to negotiate with MSOs is to STREAM their content like the previously mentioned XBOX+Comcast stuff or the Cox+iPad stuff.

It looks to me that they want Apple TV with functionality resembling the Cox iPad app except it actually work after updating But the MSO has to permit such functionality just as Cox is the one putting the iPad app up.

My guess is there is a new Apple TV in the works that runs apps from an Apple TV app store and they want to offer (embedded) apps resembling the Cox iPad app in addition to games and everything else. Such a device, if still in the $99 range I reckon would be immensely popular. Apple TV would then supplant the Wii as the budget game console, especially since the Wii-U goes upscale.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

MSO's have already gotten this figured out by swapping fees around. For example Comcast lowered the rental fee for the boxes down to $3 and now charges a $17 outlet fee. That fee applies to customer owned devices as well so even if a user brings his own box, he pays almost as much as he would if he rented a box.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Huh, I didn't know that. I thought outlet fees were illegal now, like with the telcos. You only pay for the connection to the J-box and then you can split it as much as you want fee-free.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by skeechan:

Huh, I didn't know that. I thought outlet fees were illegal now, like with the telcos. You only pay for the connection to the J-box and then you can split it as much as you want fee-free.

You can split the signal as much as you want, but since all the signals are now digital and encrypted (at least with Comcast) that won't do you much. Basically with digital cable the MSOs know exactly how many "digital outlets" (i.e. MSO and user provided boxes) you have.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to skeechan

There is very little utility and margin to proprietary boxes. The IP is in the software and moving to IP and centralized DVR. This way the costs will come down dramatically from a capital perspective and an operating perspective.

Once they move to IP, there is no reason say they put the DVR functionality in the CMTS and nobody needs to have a DVR, just IP devices and say tablets and the like.

DVR's are capital intensive, and TBH useless considering the entire body of shows could easily be streamed from a CDN or neighborhood POP.

In any case all of my verizon boxes had cablecards in them, so CC is widely used. I simply removed the fee and setup W7MC which does all of the IP things they are dreaming of.

And the real competitor to Apple in this space is Microsoft and maybe Samsung. STB are dying, it's all about the software.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Morac

Wow, that is crazy. So even with a TiVo you would get hit $17+$2-$3 cablecard rental per box? If Cox ever did that I'd be gone that day. I have 6 "outlets".

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to Morac

I put together a Windows Media Center PC with a Ceton quad tuner card that uses CableCard. Then I put a cheap XBox anywhere else I want tv. Whole home DVR. Comcast gives you the first CableCard for free and they credit my account $2.50 per month for owning my own equipment.

Yes, it cost a fortune to build the box. But I have an awesome entertainment center and a whole home DVR. No monthly fees for equipment or TV listings.

civicturbo

join:2009-11-08
USA

This is a great way to go, I use to work for a great custom home theater company in Minnesota that did that. We also would put a RAID array inside for backup and a great program called anydvd do the HTPC was a jukebox of your DVD/blueray collection. Our owner was extremely knowledgeable in PCs we were the only one in the Metro that offered them at the time.

Another cool thing he came up with was to split the VGA signal and run it to a white 7" install LCD monitor sold by Accelle electronics of californa it had VGA in and usb touch screen overlay inside. A pair of USB over cat 5 converters got the signal back to the HTPC. You could have this in your master bed room and run everything on the PC. It looked soo cool. And I think the screens were only 250 wholesale.