mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

1 recommendation

mogamer to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: Going to be next to impossible

said by skeechan:

MSOs aren't going to give up their $20/mo cash hog which is their digital box + DVR service.

I guess you've never heard of cable card devices then.

Even though Comcast is the biggest cabelco, you could get their complete service without renting any of their equipment (outside of a cable card). Xbox 360 for On Demand service, Tivo or HTPC as a dvr, and use your own modem for internet and phone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

They support cablecards because the FCC forced them to.

MSOs were dragged kicking and screaming to cablecards.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

They support cablecards because the FCC forced them to.

MSOs were dragged kicking and screaming to cablecards.

So what! That support is there and could be used by Apple.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Uh, obviously that isn't what they're doing. They don't need to negotiate with MSOs to make a cablecard device. If Apple makes a cablecard device, FCC mandates that the MSOs permit it. MSOs wouldn't have a choice just like they don't have a choice with TiVo.

The only reason to negotiate with MSOs is to STREAM their content like the previously mentioned XBOX+Comcast stuff or the Cox+iPad stuff.

It looks to me that they want Apple TV with functionality resembling the Cox iPad app except it actually work after updating But the MSO has to permit such functionality just as Cox is the one putting the iPad app up.

My guess is there is a new Apple TV in the works that runs apps from an Apple TV app store and they want to offer (embedded) apps resembling the Cox iPad app in addition to games and everything else. Such a device, if still in the $99 range I reckon would be immensely popular. Apple TV would then supplant the Wii as the budget game console, especially since the Wii-U goes upscale.