FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Apple can build one now - a cable card ready device

Just like TIVO did, Apple can build a STB right now that can work on cable systems. It would accept cablecards and would ALSO have their AppleTV box functions for Internet access built-in too.

The problem is that Apple, as usual, wants to build a box where Apple controls the whole process of updates, apps, access, etc. Thereby trying to ace out the carrier from dealing with the customer at all.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
That would the price up the box and make deployment troublesome for end users. Anyone with a TiVo (I have two) can attest to the nightmare cablecards are.

It is much simpler for Apple to simply app up a new 4th generation Apple TV with MSO supported apps for which MSOs get in-app subscription revenues for.

I just don't see Apple making a "real" cable box. Apple TV is inches away from running everything in the app store and if they can get TV on there, they'd sell a zillion.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to FFH5
How is this any different than a Tivo? If I buy a Tivo, the only interaction I should be having with the cable company is to get a Cablecard and paying the monthly service fee, right?

I have no illusions that Apple's motives are not altruistic nor anything but in Apple's best interests; but anyone who can disrupt this nonsense of having to rent gear from the cable company in order to watch the service for which I'm paying, is alright in my book.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

That would the price up the box

Yes because Apple products are soooooo cheap.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Some are, some aren't...depends on the market segment.