Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan

[Modem] dropped connections

I’m looking for some guidance to try and help a friend. This is what I know, my friend has a Zyxel modem issued by Earthlink with a Linksys router. I looked at their setup and the modem has a 192.168.1.1 address and the Linksys has the 192.168.0.1 address, I don’t know if this is the preferred way to run this or not. The main issue is at least once a day the modem drops the DSL connection and they have to do a hard reset on the modem by powering it off. that is their main concern.

A tech was dispatched and from what they told me the tech didn’t even enter home, I’ll assume he only tested to the NID. I had VZ DSL a few years ago and after the initial setup really never had to do anything with it. So I guess my question is does the modem have a “keep alive” setting within the config that we should look for? I remember that being a selection when we had VZ DSL. Or should we set it up as bridge modem? I assume if we set the modem to bridge and selected PPPoE within the router there would be a “keep alive” setting. If we were to set it up in bridge mode would the modem still have and 192.168.1.1 address? Or should they replace both devices with a single device that is a modem/router/AP ? I still have my Westell VZ branded modem/router which I would give them if you guys thing we could use that in bridge mode. could it be the house wiring, should we install a dsl splitter, I still have mine I could give them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

The ZyXEL Modem is actually a full Router too. There are some instances where this can cause issues when running two Routers so the recommended practice is to set the DSL Modem/Router to Bridge Mode. Then setup the second Router (Linksys) to PPPoE Mode.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »What type of DSL modem does Earthlink provide?

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How To Setup the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router for EarthLink DSL?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

HD_Ride
Premium
Jerseyastan

Thank you Doctor Olds!

HD_Ride
Premium
Jerseyastan
reply to Doctor Olds

It appears there were two issues, the wiring and then Zytel itself. I could hear some static on the line right at the NID so I moved the feed from the pole to the vacant port within the NID and that cleared up the static and now they have clear dial tone. I also relocated the cable from the NID to the jack because the installer had it bundled with Romex (electrical cabling) which is not good.

The Zytel was shot; even after a reset it would misbehave when trying to access the web interface. When I finally got into the admin page I noticed the firmware was dated from 2004. Since I had no connection there I took it home and upgraded the firmware, that in itself presented a challenge because the device wasn’t responding properly. Upon my return the result was the same, no connection.

Finally to get them back online I gave them my old Verizon co-branded Westell 2200 modem/router and set it in bridge mode as per your instruction. I wasn’t sure if it was going to work with the Westell but it came right up. When I had the Westell I used it as in modem/router mode with an Ethernet switch so this was my first experience with bridge mode, surprisingly it was fairly easy to do after finding a VZ “How To” pdf. I guess in a way it’s a good thing this happened because the last few weeks they were continually resetting the Zytel, now they have a good connection back to the NID and everything is configured properly. Thanks for bridge suggestion

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Glad to hear of your success with finding and fixing wiring faults and determining that the Modem itself was acting flaky on top of everything else. Hopefully you have it all back up and stable.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

HD_Ride
Premium
Jerseyastan

yes sir, they are pretty happy. thanks again for the tip!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by HD_Ride:

yes sir, they are pretty happy. thanks again for the tip!

You are Welcome! Glad to help when/where I can.
--