Search similar:

uniqs
cheesey1
join:2012-08-16
Juneau, AK

1 edit

cheesey1

Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband

As if I was not totally confused already, and frustrated that no satellite broadband company seems willing or able to currently offer me 5mb service in my zip code (99401), I read the news story below on Bloomberg that Dish will be potentially entering the fray as early as next month. What's especially confusing is it appears that two or more companies are using the same exact satellite (Echostar 17) to expand/improve their service. So based on what is my understanding: 1) Dish to enter the satellite broadband business. 2) Echostar is the company that owns the satellites and puts them up. 3) Echostar and Dish are essentially the same company with the same CEO at the top. 4) Echostar has satellite usage/leasing deals with Viasat/Exede and Hughesnet, which has enabled them to offer improved service, albeit some of that capacity is already filled. 5) Perhaps not coincidently, it seems that Hughesnet and Dish may be offering new service around the end of September. I was just about ready to order service from Hughesnet (after giving up on Exede) with the hopes that it would be a path to 5 mb service, I might once again have to go into another holding pattern to wait and see what Dish might have to offer at the end of September.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· ice.html

Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband
By Alex Sherman - Aug 15, 2012 9:01 PM PT

Dish Network Corp. is preparing to introduce a nationwide broadband-Internet service using a satellite from sister company EchoStar Corp. (SATS), according to three people familiar with the situation.

The EchoStar 17 satellite, launched into orbit July 5, can support download speeds of 15 megabits per second, although introductory nationwide packages will probably offer rates of 5 megabits so the system can take on more capacity, said one of the people, who declined to be named because the plans are private. Dish and EchoStar can handle about 2 million new Internet customers with the service, the person said.
Enlarge image Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband Service

.../snip
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

Echostar owns Dish & Hughes
cheesey1
Juneau, AK

cheesey1

So this whole news story is just a re-packaging of services or branding of Gen4/Hughesnet?
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

I believe so but the big word in the story is RUMORED
Iowa Cowboy
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy to cheesey1

to cheesey1
throw this in your banana, Hughes is also teaming up with Frontier Communication, they have connections with Dish Network
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to sharkyyoung

to sharkyyoung
said by sharkyyoung:

I believe so but the big word in the story is RUMORED

Did one read Karl Bode's take?

»Dish to Launch Nationwide Satellite Broadband Service [33] comments

" While insiders note that Echostar's new EchoStar 17 satellite can handle services up to 15 Mbps, initial Dish offerings will likely be dialed down to 5 Mbps to protect capacity. "
ricky_005
join:2012-01-17
united state

1 edit

ricky_005

Reading between the lines .....

While insiders note that Echostar's new EchoStar 17 satellite can handle services up to 15 Mbps, initial Dish offerings will likely be dialed down to 5 Mbps which will allow us to oversell, and still charge you a premium price. Although we advertize plans up to 5 Mbps we do not promise you will receive it, and you shouldn't expect it. If you do get a laggy 1.5 Mbps you should feel blessed and fortunate to even get that!
Iowa Cowboy
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy

I don't know, I have the mid range plan that states up to 1.5Mbps, and I usually pull 3 Mbps
ricky_005
united state

1 edit

ricky_005

Your plan is capped at 1.5Mbps How is this even remotely possible!
Iowa Cowboy
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy

I can't explain it, I am no computer engineer, just checked my upload and download speeds and that's what I got

Heh213
join:2012-06-16

1 edit

Heh213 to ricky_005

to ricky_005
said by ricky_005:

Your plan is capped at 1.5Mbps How is this even remotely possible!

It's not rare, I have heard similar from many people; I also get speeds around 3Mbps when doing downloads during the Download Zone. Most of the time web browsing isn't so pleasant either way however.

I think Hughes' speed test rated me about 2.5Mbps. Seeing downloads of 300KB/s is not uncommon for me.
Expand your moderator at work
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to ricky_005

to ricky_005

Re: Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband

when i left hughes about 8 months ago, i was getting 2-2.5 mbps down even though i was on the 1mbps plan

take a look at this thread »[HN9000] What the Heck!? I Must Be Dreaming!
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to chances14

to chances14

said by chances14:

when i left hughes about 8 months ago, i was getting 2-2.5 mbps down even though i was on the 1mbps plan

take a look at this thread »So Long "Dream"

After Hughes made some changes the technology used with Spaceway/9000 system modems about a year ago, there were many 9000 users that were reporting speeds that were up to double advertised plan maximums. And those reported scores were showing up on multiple speed tests, including the Hughes test, Speedtest.net, and testmy.net.
ricky_005
united state

ricky_005 to Anon

to Anon
HughesNet's own in-house speed test always prints out your speed is around 2.2 Mbps ... Every wonder why you have to be a HughesNet customer to use it? lol

Do you really believe Hughes is giving you more than what you paid for? If so consciousness/reality alludes you!
chances14
Michigan

chances14 to ricky_005

to ricky_005

said by ricky_005:

HughesNet's own in-house speed test always prints out your speed is around 2.2 Mbps ... Every wonder why you have to be a HughesNet customer to use it? lol

Do you really believe Hughes is giving you more than what you paid for? If so consciousness/reality alludes you!

again i ask you to look over this thread »[HN9000] What the Heck!? I Must Be Dreaming!

mutiple people using speed test sites other than the hughes speed test were reporting faster speeds than their stated plan

now that was almost a year ago so things have probably changed but i'm just pointing out that they have given users "more than what you paid for" in the past. so it's not out of reality

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to ricky_005

Premium Member

to ricky_005

Really, get bigger tin foil hat.
For crying out load.. why don't you just download a file of known size and time the doggone thing.
Isn't it really about real world throught put anyway ?

This is a help forum. Iv'e yet to see a "helpfull" post from you. Rants & Raves is further down the forms list.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by gwalk:

Really, get bigger tin foil hat.
For crying out load.. why don't you just download a file of known size and time the doggone thing.
Isn't it really about real world throught put anyway ?

This is a help forum. Iv'e yet to see a "helpfull" post from you. Rants & Raves is further down the forms list.

Actually, you don't have to be a Hughes customer to use the Hughes speed test. All you have to do is to enter any number with at least 5 digits for your SAN. In the time since I've had an internet option other than Hughes, I've often gone back to the Hughes test to confirm the speeds that I'm getting, and I find the Hughes test to be one of the more accurate because it uses reasonably large file sizes, and, thus, the final results are not dramatically higher or lower because of short bursts of high or low speed.

But we seem to have a relatively new member who would rather not be confused by reality and who would choose, instead, to insult anyone who tries to provide him with reality, including several long time members who have had long histories of providing help to others.
ricky_005
united state

4 edits

ricky_005 to chances14

to chances14
Took over 3 Min to perform each download test!

===================================================
8:03 PM Eastern time / location near Atlanta GA
ALL TEST WHERE PERFORMED WITHIN A 12min WINDOW ...It takes time running these test when your provider operates like the Mafia selling bandwidth he doesn't have.

Heres HughesNet Bowser Experence

Keep in mind there are 6 images downloaded for this test.
45.82KB + 15.32KB + 35.14KB + 16.34KB + 36.08KB + 38.88KB = a Total of 187.58KB LMAO.....

Test Completed Successfully

The following information was gathered.
Download Time 10.8 seconds
IP Address 00.000.000.000
Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Language en-us,en;q=0.5

Took 10.8 seconds to load 6 tiny Images totaling 187.58KB!
===================================================

Heres HughesNet Download Experence

Transfer Results
Download = 2,249 kbps
Upload= 133 kbps

I find the numbers above from HughesNet inhouse speed test nothing more than Deceptive lies, just as anything else which comes from there lips.

As for my Computer system, I'm running a HP Z800 workstation w/Xeon W3680 12GB ram and 2 intel 320's SSD.

Over the past 8 months the service has deteriorated severly..... I use to get a true 1MB to 1.2MB on the down, prime time would slow up to around 600 to 800 or so KB on the down. As you can tell now its just AWFUL!

SpeedTest.net is what you call Reality Son! The browsing experiences sucks like Dial-Up!
Iowa Cowboy
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy to cheesey1

to cheesey1
I have heard that speed test is a joke, I can now see why
chances14
Michigan

chances14 to ricky_005

to ricky_005
nobody is denying that you might be suffering from slow speeds. But just because you are getting slow speeds doesn't mean everyone else is

p.s. the only true way to measure your speed is to download a real file and time it out.
ricky_005
united state

1 edit

ricky_005

Most everyone has anywhere from 250mb to 450mb of daily usage allocated. The mb allocated for the day people use it for Web Browsing! If I need to download a 400mb file for the day...Your pretty much screwed for the rest of the day .... Other words the speed you can Download a zip file or this file is pointless.

ITS HOW FAST YOUR FREAK-EN BROWSING SPEED IS!
chances14
Michigan

chances14

browsing speed will always seem sluggish on satellite because of the latency. no amount of speed will fix that.

like i said, downloading even a 25mb file will give you a more accurate test of your connection speed.

but if it's browsing speed you want, then you are going to be disappointed with any satellite connection
ricky_005
united state

4 edits

ricky_005

@ chances14
If you only are given 250mb a day or what ever, the majority of American use there rationed out bandwidth for Browsing the web....

Do you think people sign up for HughesNet so they can download a 250mb zip file than log off? lol

No they use it for web browsing...How does a web page end up in your browser window ... Well the files are downloaded into your browser! Pathetic download Speed = Pathetic Web Browsing. Whats so difficult to understand about this?

Main intent is to Browse the web, so your answer is Irrelevant.
Iowa Cowboy
Monticello, IA

Iowa Cowboy

said by ricky_005:

@ chances14
If you only are given 250mb a day or what ever, the majority of American use there rationed out bandwidth for Browsing the web....

Do you think people sign up for HughesNet so they can download a 250mb zip file than log off? lol

No they use it for web browsing...How does a web page end up in your browser window ... Well the files are downloaded into your browser! Pathetic download Speed = Pathetic Web Browsing. Whats so difficult to understand about this?

Main intent is to Browse the web, so your answer is Irrelevant.

ok, if it take me 3 seconds to open a web page, whats my speed?
ricky_005
united state

2 edits

ricky_005

Total website page data can range wildly:
This Forum Page 390.95KB
Googles search page 25.95KB
A simple business home page 500KB
Most sites 1Mb+ home page
Graphic intense page 4mb+

Is it running on windows or Linux shared server, VPS, Dedicated server ... network connection speed ... number of server request ..the list is endless................

So go figure...
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Iowa Cowboy

to Iowa Cowboy
said by Iowa Cowboy:

ok, if it take me 3 seconds to open a web page, whats my speed?

Times were measured over cable modem (~2.5 mbps).

»yuiblog.com/blog/2007/01 ··· -part-2/
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to cheesey1

to cheesey1
For web browsing, anything over 1Mb/s in download speed will not affect website loading times unless it is really really laden with graphics like multiple flash adds and pictures. The time it takes for a webpage loads depends mostly on compression, computer performance (in the case of flash adds or video loads) and Latency. To relate this, I recently switched from HN to Verizon via Mediacom which took me from 4Mb/s download speed, 250KB/s upload speed and a latency of 1000 to 1500ms on HN to 1 to 1.2 Mb/s download speeds, 500 KB/s upload speeds and around 100ms latency times. My webpage loads went from 3 to 10 seconds on HN to instant or 1 or 2 second loads on Verizon and then I switched to 3Mb/s dsl with 30ms latency and all but secure sites load instantly and secure sites within 3 seconds.

BTW, as for speed tests, some don't play nice with satellite and I will be the first to tell you that, but dedicated speed test websites like speedtest.net (not satellite friendly), testmy.net and the like are very dedicated to suppling as accurate a test as possible. With my DSL I can tell you with .05 Mb.s what they will rport for my speed because my line is extremly stable and those sites are that accurate. With that said, HN went through a period just befor I left that they were experimenting with compression and there wasn't an accurate speed test for thier service including thier own but they have fixed thier own speed test since then to my understanding.

To get an accurate line speed, you need to locate a test file to download or just pick a large file to download like video card drivers or something in at least the 100MB range and let the download get at least a quarter of the way through and see what your download progress window is reporting as the actual download speed of the file and then take that number times 8 to get your line speed in Mb/s. it should look like this:

file downloading at 328 KB/s 328 x 8= 2624, now move the decimal point to the right 3 places and you get 2.62 Mb/s

It's as simple as that.