Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to silbaco

Re: Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband

said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger....I guess we will see.

»www.dailywireless.org/2012/07/06···aunched/

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to cheesey1

Any thread that goes 2 or more pages is going to wander off topic. Granted this one wandered a little soon but its not to surprising when people are comparing oranges to apples.

The AT&T test site was pretty close, it should have read close to 2.77 Mb/s down and it hit at 2.86 but thats splitting hairs and not enough to worry about, was the same with upload speed only a bit slower instead of faster.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Iowa Cowboy

join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA

apples and oranges?? I rather compare boobies myself

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

so so so so so so OFF TOPIC! lol

said by Iowa Cowboy:

apples and oranges?? I rather compare boobies myself

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger, allowing them to cover more area with the same number of spot beams.

From looking at the map provided by DrStranLov and comparing it to the map for Spaceway 3, the beam footprints for the new satellite actually appear to be somewhat smaller than those for Spaceway 3.

»www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.···05204215

DrStrangLov

reply to zeddlar

said by zeddlar:

The AT&T test site was pretty close

I run Networx, and using its speed tester, one can see how fast and amount coming in. Just have to click on it when one thinks test will start.

That's how I confirmed that Testmy was OK...double check.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to One More Too

said by One More Too:

said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger, allowing them to cover more area with the same number of spot beams.

From looking at the map provided by DrStranLov and comparing it to the map for Spaceway 3, the beam footprints for the new satellite actually appear to be somewhat smaller than those for Spaceway 3.

»www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.···05204215

He posted a link that shows both Spaceway3/Exede and Viasat/WB. He attached/displayed the latter one, not the Hughes one.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

cheesey1

Juneau, AK
reply to DrStrangLov

According to the map, my cabin would be in area 12 (no colors). I am going to assume that means the service offered would be nothing fancy (hopefully 5mbits at least).

cheesey1

Juneau, AK
reply to DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov: thanks for providing the map and link. the link provides the best explanation of what is really going on, and dovetails closely with the Dish Network story.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to cheesey1

said by cheesey1:

According to the map, my cabin would be in area 12 (no colors). I am going to assume that means the service offered would be nothing fancy (hopefully 5mbits at least).

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map, and not a Hughes map?
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

DrStrangLov

said by dbirdman:

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map,

My error....I was looking for a pic, and assumed that was a blowup map. After reading it, I don't see where they clarify this difference.

In any event, ViaSat has 9 beams on West Coast, and Hughes has 8 beams...which Hughes might cover a larger diameter for each spot.

DrStrangLov

reply to zeddlar

said by zeddlar:

The AT&T test site was pretty close

I found one honest site that explained it -

"NOTE: The Burst test is available to worldwide users, but the Extended and Sustained tests are for internal customers only. This service is provided without guarantee for accuracy or availablilty. Measured speed may vary depending on client computer used, client internal and external network traffic conditions, and demands placed on the speed test server."

Las Vegas, NV - »test.lvcm.com/

Footnote - On Exede 5, one can see download results around 30_mbps on that AT&T site.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to DrStrangLov

said by DrStrangLov:

said by dbirdman:

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map,

My error....I was looking for a pic, and assumed that was a blowup map. After reading it, I don't see where they clarify this difference.

They don't. Click on the map on that page and it becomes clear - I hovered over it and saw the link, then read more closely.
--

MotoDuty

join:2012-08-22
Springfield, MO
reply to cheesey1

I understand the topic has changed quite a bit...However I am extremely confused that DISH is already offering nationwide satellite internet service powered by Exede:

»www.dish.com/entertainment/inter···odwlYALA

It would make more sense for them to use the new bird they own instead of going thru ViaSat?

DrStrangLov

said by MotoDuty:

I understand the topic has changed quite a bit...However I am extremely confused that DISH is already offering nationwide satellite internet service powered by Exede:

I understand that DISH will use ES17 beams, and where not covered, Exede 12/5 beams later this year.

Just hearsay, but that's what I understand.

DrStrangLov

reply to MotoDuty

said by MotoDuty:

t...However I am extremely confused that DISH is already offering nationwide satellite internet service powered by Exede:

Here's a news article: Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-1···ice.html

cheesey1

Juneau, AK

FYI: I am sure you have heard that Hughesnet has just announced their new service and pricing (see separate thread), promising installations to be completed by November 15th. I called both Hughesnet and Dish this morning. Hughesnet said that they can offer me Gen4 service in my area code (99401 - SE corner of WA). Dish said that they cannot offer me any newer service (greater than 1 mbit) at this time, but said that this will probably change soon and that I should check back regularly. This tells me that Dish is still only currently offering Exede service (but it is closed to new customers in my area due to capacity constraints) and does not YET have the ability to offer Hughesnet Gen4 service.

cheesey1

Juneau, AK
reply to DrStrangLov

FYI: I am sure you have heard that Hughesnet has just announced their new service and pricing (see separate thread), promising installations to be completed by November 15th. I called both Hughesnet and Dish this morning. Hughesnet said that they can offer me Gen4 service in my area code (99401 - SE corner of WA). Dish said that they cannot offer me any newer service (greater than 1 mbit) at this time, but said that this will probably change soon and that I should check back regularly. This tells me that Dish is still only currently offering Exede service (but it is closed to new customers in my area due to capacity constraints) and does not YEThave the ability to offer Hughesnet Gen4 service.

DrStrangLov

reply to cheesey1

said by cheesey1:

This tells me that Dish is still only currently offering Exede service (but it is closed to new customers in my area due to capacity constraints) and does not YET have the ability to offer Hughesnet Gen4 service.

Business transitions take time....originally, ES17 was to be "open for business" around November.

Starting earlier than November, would have upset DISH's timeline for training CSRs/etc. Hughes can make this transistion much quicker.

RE: Hughesnet Gen4 service

One should get a Hughes ES17 map...

»www.dailywireless.org/2012/07/06···aunched/

I have a feeling you might get stuck on Spaceway 3; CSRs and Sales folks have been known to deceive.

On Exede, I think all one could get is Exede 5...

DrStrangLov

reply to cheesey1

said by cheesey1:

service (greater than 1 mbit) at this time, but said that this will probably change soon

Footnote - Exede 5's beam in your area connects to Riverside Gateway via Anik-F2 satellite. Imho, I think there is a technical issue involved....hence, one can check back later.

I'm on Riverside Gateway via WB-1 bird, and downloads are fine, but uploads are slow during primetime. Hence, some type of equipment changes, most likely, is what is needed.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to cheesey1

It is possible Dish will add a free zone for their service. If they offer one for customers on Viasat, they will probably want to match it for their Hughes customers.