uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to nauru0

Premium Member

to nauru0

Re: Freephoneline.ca - Why is it so good?

said by nauru0:

I've had FPL for a year or more and I can't understand why people pay for voip.ms when FPL does all the same stuff for free. Why would I pay to make a local call with voip.ms, when calling most area codes in Canada is free? What features does voip.ms have that make it worth such a higher cost?

For some people, the $50 that they'd lay out for the FPL ATA passport would take a long time to recover based on their voip.ms usage.

That, and voip.ms actually has a decent level of support available if something breaks.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

I'm not sure where the claim of lack of support from FPL comes from. They are open 24/7, and in my experience they've done a good job.

$50 would get eaten up pretty fast if you are using voip.ms as your primary phone line, since voip.ms actually charges you for all inbound calls, as well as all outgoing ones.

If you are using a mobile phone as primary and voip.ms is secondary then you are already paying a substantial amount per month for phone service to robellus (or another company) and this is kind of a silly conversation to debate how much extra, on top of the 50/100/150 per month in fees/charges/taxes/plan costs one will pay for a secondary phone line.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You may want to educate yourself on voip.ms' offerings before you make incorrect statements about the costs as there are unlimited incoming options available. Furthermore, anything that's "free" is not going to have the same effort of support as something that customers pay for will. That is just a fact of life. If a FPL connection goes down and you're getting it for free, what obligation does the provider have to you to get it fixed when you can't exactly vote with your wallet?

For the record, I run a business off of voip.ms with a local and toll-free DID and multiple simultaneous choice channels and a separate dedicated fax DID and channel. On Premium routing, the entire month of july cost us $15 - that's total costs for the minutes and the DIDs. You're not going to use more than that at home. Other than the internal wiring issues I have here at the store that have been driving me batshit insane I have had zero issues with the actual SIP accounts or the routing itself.

nonBell
@avaya.com

nonBell to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by nauru0:

I've had FPL for a year or more and I can't understand why people pay for voip.ms when FPL does all the same stuff for free. Why would I pay to make a local call with voip.ms, when calling most area codes in Canada is free? What features does voip.ms have that make it worth such a higher cost?

For some people, the $50 that they'd lay out for the FPL ATA passport would take a long time to recover based on their voip.ms usage.

That, and voip.ms actually has a decent level of support available if something breaks.

+1

One of the reasons for me is to have a Toll-free number which FPL cannot provide.

And I use Asterisk+GTalk to dial anywhere in Canada and US so no outgoing charges for me.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by nonBell :

And I use Asterisk+GTalk to dial anywhere in Canada and US so no outgoing charges for me.

That's my ultimate plan but right now I've just got a couple ATAs and multi-line phones.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to nonBell

to nonBell
I would use GTALK but the call display name/number is an out of area number, and unless the people know you, in my experience, most won't pick up.

VoIP.MS lets me send whatever I want for call display, which is nice so I can use this for any line I have and it always shows the right call display

I use Gtalk as a american incoming/outgoing line for people I know down there... but won't use it for everyday calls.