Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo

Re: STB? - Who Cares

I can see how non-US markets being crucial for US-based content providers... but it seems the US market itself is rather flat.

»news.investors.com/artic ··· loss.htm

Pay TV service, at least in the US, has nowhere to go but down.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

SpaethCo

MVM

said by pnh102:

I can see how non-US markets being crucial for US-based content providers... but it seems the US market itself is rather flat.

»news.investors.com/artic ··· loss.htm

Pay TV service, at least in the US, has nowhere to go but down.

Q2 numbers have been the worst in the cycle for the last few years.

See:

Also, 2012 Q1 posted a 494,000 net subscriber increase before the 348,000 loss in Q2 -- so it's still net positive on the year.

Source: »paidcontent.org/2012/05/ ··· d-in-q1/

It's only been relatively flat the last couple years, and that's largely a reflection of the economy.

Still, when you have 100 million subscribers in the US paying for TV, it's pretty easy to see why you'd want to make a device that would appeal to some of them.

Note that the major area of growth is TelcoTV, and Verizon is still using QAM delivery for TV, hence a "cable box" would be usable for them as well.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

I'm certainly not disputing that the current market for pay TV in the US is huge, it definitely is. I am just not seeing it as a growing industry as it used to be say, 10 or 20 years ago.

But given the price increases and the continuing problems with the economy, I just don't see these numbers increasing as a whole.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
I still pay for TV, but oly per-episode for the 'cable' shows I want, commercial-free, via Amazon Video.

Broadcast channels all recorded over-the-air via a TivoHD.