Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Picard47
Premium
join:2003-03-17

[Signals] Motorola 6141 Downstream Bonding

Click for full size
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. I posted this in the Comcast Direct Forum, but no one seems interested. I just purchased and installed a Mororola 6141 modem. Instead of bonding to all 8 downstream channels I can only get the modem to bond to 7 channels. Modem seems to be working properly, and speeds are where they should be. Is this something on Comcast's end, or could there be a problem with my modem? Just wanted to make sure its not a problem with the modem, so I can return it if needs be. Thank you for any help.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Picard47:

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. I posted this in the Comcast Direct Forum, but no one seems interested. I just purchased and installed a Mororola 6141 modem. Instead of bonding to all 8 downstream channels I can only get the modem to bond to 7 channels. Modem seems to be working properly, and speeds are where they should be. Is this something on Comcast's end, or could there be a problem with my modem? Just wanted to make sure its not a problem with the modem, so I can return it if needs be. Thank you for any help.

You only get 7 out of 8 because that's all Comcast is doing right now in your area. When they light up all 8 channels, your modem will read it as 8.

Don't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy your connection.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
If you look at the numbering, there could be 8. He's on channel 2-8. It is possible one channel is shut down or was somehow told not to be used.

Does the log show anything?

Linda1

join:2009-08-22
Brookville, PA
reply to Picard47
downloadDoc1.mht.zip 336,536 bytes
I too just bought this modem and had it provisioned. When I looked at the modem's signal page, it only has 4 up and 2 down channels. I wonder if it was done correctly? Not sure what the extra channels even do for every day internet use.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Linda1:

I too just bought this modem and had it provisioned. When I looked at the modem's signal page, it only has 4 up and 2 down channels. I wonder if it was done correctly? Not sure what the extra channels even do for every day internet use.

Linda1 the extra channels help the cable company handle the bandwidth distribution better by splitting you download or upload speed across multiple channels also they are required for speeds tiers of 30Mbps downstream or higher in most cases.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to Linda1
said by Linda1:

I too just bought this modem and had it provisioned. When I looked at the modem's signal page, it only has 4 up and 2 down channels. I wonder if it was done correctly?

It's likely only bonding that many channels because that may be the amount that is currently configured / available on your local system.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
Click for full size
I agree with EG.
Your system must not be setup for 8 channels down.
The 6141 will defenitly do the 8 down.

Linda1

Brookville, PA
reply to Picard47
When I called to give the new modem mac address and was asked the model number, the tech said he didn't see this model and would use the sb6121. I told him that the 6141 was on the approved list, but I have no idea if he looked again to find it. Would it matter? Thanks for the information on channels.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
I don't think so, I believe all the SB61xx on comcast use the same config and the firmware will update when available

Linda1

Brookville, PA
reply to Picard47
Thanks so much for the information.

Picard47
Premium
join:2003-03-17

1 edit
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

If you look at the numbering, there could be 8. He's on channel 2-8. It is possible one channel is shut down or was somehow told not to be used.

Does the log show anything?

The modem is currently bonded with channels "2-8". It will bond with channel "1" as well, but one of the other channels gets dropped. As for anything weird in the logs, it all looks normal to me, the logs look exactly the same as the 6120 that this modem replaced.

EDIT: Just realized I received a reply from ComcastSteve, he must have been busy today. Basicaly he said: "There is nothing wrong with the modem. For you CMTS, it's only defaulting to 7 channels down for now." Thanks everyone for taking a look at this post. Special thanks to ComcastSteve, he is the best!

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
reply to tshirt
That is correct, all the 61XX is the same file.
The only thing that changed was the the 6141 has a hardware version 7.0