uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 - Uninstalling old version ?

Thank you for notifying us.

I just noticed new instructions for the Uninstaller about deleting Flash files. I have always just ran the uninstaller and rebooted. How necessary is it to delete these files? Here's part of the instructions:

"Delete Flash Player files and folders.

Click Start > Run.

Copy and paste the following and click OK.
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Delete all the files in this folder.

Follow step 1 to step 3 for the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player"

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Sorry if I looked over your post in this now rather long thread, Libra See Profile

If you feel compelled to do a fresh install, the instructions would be Here

Keep us posted.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi Randy,

I wasn't sure if I responded to your post. When I tried to delete the files I think I copied the file path wrong, because I got a message from Windows says it was the wrong syntax or something like that.

I ended up using the Adobe Uninstaller on all three computers, not deleting any files, rebooting the computers and then installing the latest Flash version. It seemed to go well.

I just checked (in Vista) Windows/system32/macromed/Flash and everything in there shows the latest version of Flash and the date is 8/16/12. The actual macromed folder is last modified 2/12 and date created was 2009.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Hi Libra,

Manually deleting files via Windows explorer is a bit of a slippery slope if you are not careful, glad the end result was positive.

If you feel compelled to fully uninstall Adobe to do a fresh install, you should use the Adobe utility
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Do you just install "over the top"?

btw, that's where I got the uninstall utility and those instructions to use "run" to find and delete those files. I don't remember that in the past (unless I just ignored it).

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

I install over-top unless there are issues of which I have encounted none of the many Flash releases of late.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. Maybe I will start installing "over the top". I imagine if there were a problem I'd have to use the uninstaller and delete those files I'm not comfortable deleting anyway.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Your welcome Libra See Profile I've never felt compelled to do much fussing with Adobe Flash.

Over the years, despite all the issues, I have had few as have my cohorts in the security community. Though we all like to bash Adobe for announcing not at all or on Patch Tuesdays.

I just bang over-top less the fluff, make sure nothing's been changed to my system and sit and wait for the next one to come along.

Regards,

Silj

Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you, that's encouraging.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline