spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

Using own router

My friend's son is starting university and he is thinking of getting Shaw internet, either the HS10 or HS20. He won't be getting television or phone. My recommendation to him is to make sure that he can use his own router, and turn the Shaw box into just a modem. Can this still be done? Does he have to ask for a specific plan, or specific boxes that can be bridged?

I am with Telus, and for some strange reason, it doesn't like its users operating this way, especially now that we no longer have access to the root password. I am hoping he won't run into the same level of difficulty with Shaw, and is one of the reasons why I am not persuading him to go to Telus.

I have an old Shaw Motorola SB5100 that I can give to him. Assuming that the current Shaw boxes cannot be bridged, can he just use my old modem?

BTW, assuming he goes with HS10 or 20, is Shaw enforcing overages now, or automatically upgrading into a higher cost tier?

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

For HS10 and HS20,
Should be given a 51xx series modem, which are just modems.

If he/she is given one of the router-modem combos, for those two plans, there are difficulties reported getting bridged mode working, only some agents can bridge those ones - this could be corrected now though.

The bump-up program isn't active yet (increases you plan with usage), but we are told it is coming.

They can definitely use your purchased modem if you give permission or transfer it to them.

I hope this helps...

-Posted from my phone.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Roofer

Maybe Sean can provide some input on this. As of even a month ago, still couldn't bridge the Cisco on the HS20 plan. If this has been corrected, I would love to know myself for a family member's service.

kevinds

Calgary, AB
reply to Roofer

Also, most schools have a Shaw rep associated with them (office/kiosk/certain days in a common area), that rep can setup the student discounts which are usually very good.

-Posted from my phone.

lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Roofer

For HS10 or HS20, he should still be getting the old Docsis 2.0 Motorola 51xx style modems, which are straight modems with no routing/wifi capabilities. As far as I'm aware you actually need to pay extra to get the cisco wifi modems for these packages so he should be good. The cisco modems are required for any Docsis 3.0 package (BB50 and up).

That being said, from what I've heard getting the new cisco's flashed into bridge mode has become much more common and simple to ask for/get done. I'm getting BB50 installed next Sunday (26th) and getting them to place it in bridge mode so I can use my brand new D-link DIR-835, so I can let you know if I have any troubles in this process.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Yes, should get a 51xx modem... But there have been reports of the DPC3825 given on the HS20 plan, and they were having issues getting it bridged on that plan - not sure why that customer was given a DOCSIS 3 modem though, out of stock on the surf-boards maybe.

My suspicion was that on the plans below 50, the system doesn't have a billing code for bridge-mode, because the customer shouldn't have one of those modems.

I stated it only because it has/could happen.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Roofer

I've seen two accounts with the Cisco in place on a HS20 plan. One being family, other being a friend. It seems they are putting the SMC/Cisco in everywhere, regardless of the plan. Yet they won't do bridge on these two units unless you are on BB50 or higher, go figure.

kevinds

Calgary, AB
reply to Roofer

»www.shaw.ca/Campus/

One of the student offers,

HS20 and PersonalTV for $36/month Phone for $15 more
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to Roofer

Thanks for all of your comments. When he phoned in, he asked what kind of box he will be getting. The agent went off for a couple of minutes, came back and said Cisco, so he did not sign up.

So it sounds like at the time that he is signing up, he should insist on getting a modem (51xx) instead of a router (Cisco), due to the potential of not being able to bridge.

lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
Reviews:
·Shaw

Yes, or at least make sure that if he gets a cisco that he will be able to use it in bridge mode.

Either way good luck with it, I'm not sure if you'd have the same issues with Telus or not, they've been using these modem/router combo's for a lot longer and I know that they don't like bridging them for customers (the fiasco with the 2wire admin username/password comes to mind).

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Roofer

Telus will NOT bridge the Actiontec, period. They are putting the ALU in place for Biz accounts on VDSL which are strictly a modem. I had Telus for 6 months and the service was good, however I had the Actiontec fail on me twice. First time I had it replaced the next day, the second time I had no TV or internet for 4 days. Relying on one piece of mid grade hardware for all services is embarrassing. Unless they changed their hardware, I wouldn't consider Telus again.