spc
uniqs
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to loupark

to loupark

Re: [BC] Request for RDAC or SAC box in my condo building

I count 15 pots splitters, which assuming the enterphone actually requires them to be there (some techs just put them there out of habit) tells you how many customers are being served. Of those, 10 are VDSL2 splitters, which signify ttv, or just a recent internet only install. To be honest, that is a pretty tough business case, so unless they need to free up room on your existing dslam or the condo board signs a contract on behalf of the whole building for TTV service, you are SOL.
loupark
join:2002-11-02
Surrey, BC

loupark

I have asked our account rep to look into the possibility of installing a DSLAM in our building, especially since we are contemplating an MDU contract and Telus is one of the providers that is being considered. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks!
loupark

loupark to pb2k

to pb2k
I counted 16 VDSL splitters and 7 ADSL splitters. I don't know if that is enough to present a compelling business case for Telus to install additional equipment.

Also, you assumption about the enterphone is correct. A POTS line is required for each suite. I don't pay Telus for home phone service but I have a dial tone and I can call out to the local calling area.
wildmanbob
join:2012-09-16
Calgary, AB

wildmanbob to pb2k

to pb2k
You can correct me if I am wrong....but for your building RDAC equipment would required 24 pairs for power and some fiber optic lines to work correctly. RDAC generate lots of heat, and unless you have 100+ potential customers, its not feasible.

the sac box does not benefit you at all. Its a fancy name for a junction box. Basically the connections in your building for the suits are very similar to that of a sac box....one is designed for outside and one is not.

DSA
@telus.net

DSA

Anon

Yes, unfortunately, it is not likely you will get the upgrade you desire. Telus does ongoing analysis to upgrade pockets where there is no SAC and/or Dslam box (they do exist), to add either FDHs (fiber) for new developments, or, SAC/DSLAM where the DSL ports are running out. Given your building is on CO count, even if your building all took TTV service, there is no guarantee that your building would be served via the Huawei, a DSLAM could also be added at the CO (a likely outcome), which wouldn't help your issues. It is likely you have some bad wiring in your building, which can cause some of the issues. It also could be half-tap, but then you should not have qualified for TTV in the first place.
There are challenging issues with TTV delivery, but unfortunately, a lot of these take a lot of time to fix, either due to money, or a business case decision to forego the odd customer, due to excessive cost.
Longterm, the plan is to go fiber for legacy buildings like yours, and convert in the basement to POTS/VDSL, but that is still a few years away.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy

Anon

said by DSA :

Longterm, the plan is to go fiber for legacy buildings like yours, and convert in the basement to POTS/VDSL, but that is still a few years away.

It's already happening in many buildings, but mainly as a way to offload ports from FTTN sites (we want all FTTN sites limited to 2 DSLAM's max, for reasons you'll soon learn).

@ wildmanbob, typically in these buildings a DC power plant is built, which sources power from the in-building AC power. Span/remote powering is actually not the preferred option in MDU's due to safety reasons (consider what happens if a lightning strike somehow hits near a power pair, we could blow the DC inverters and cause a fire in the MDU equipment room).