uniqs

Tradewind
Premium Member
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

Tradewind

Premium Member

[Ultra] SLow download under Windows 8 Pro x64

I took the plunge and installed W8 from Technet so I have the retail version. Please no ranting or raving about W8.

My download speed went from ~120mbps under W7 to a ~35mbps under W8. No matter how I test my dl speed (speedtests, file downloads, usenet downloads) it is always a consistent 35 down.

I notice there are some new parameters on W8 when you do a:

netsh int tcp show global

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : enabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Access (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
Initial RTO : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled

I wonder if anything here needs to be changed? Anyone running under W8 see a decrease in dl speed?
Tradewind

Tradewind

Premium Member

OK... Just ran Speedtest on my wife's W7 laptop connected via Ethernet. Same exact speeds, 35/15. Next step is to bypass my router but my wife is using her laptop at the moment and if I disconnect her slow speeds will be the least of my worries.
Tradewind

1 edit

Tradewind

Premium Member

Same crap speeds without my router. Time to get Walt involved.

Restarted my modem and now I'm back in business. I guess CV might have reduced download speeds as mentioned in another post. I was getting 120 down. Now I am getting published Ultra speeds ~101. Of course things might get better.
Tradewind

Tradewind

Premium Member

Looks like I'm back to normal this morning:

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Surprised you didn't try without router first thing. Now might be a good time to undo all the NETSH crap people do to their systems then complain later X is not working right or something .

I was just about to post I get full 60Mbps on Speedtests as soon as last night and I am using Win8 Pro x64 as well.

Tradewind
Premium Member
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

Tradewind

Premium Member

It was powering off/on my cable modem that fixed my speed issues. It wasn't the router at all. At the time I posted I could not bypass my router or restart my modem as other computers were in use at the time. I figured it might be a W8 issue since it seemed to have started after I installed W8, so I posted it that way. My bad.

But you are correct in the fact that I often forget to try the simple things like powering off/on my modem first, then bypass the router, etc. But to be honest with you I can't ever recall a time that a problem with speeds was due to my router.