share rss forum feed

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5

Durabond down kitchen sink

My brother in law cleaned out his mud pan in my kitchen sink that had some fresh durabondo down the sink.

Is that ok?? Or??
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
Since it's too late (cause it's not okay) FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH that sink, especially the drain pipe itself.

I'd pour draino as well ASAP before whatever is left in there start to harden.

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3
reply to SuperNet9
,,,maybe not with the Draino, but flush that puppy with HOT water.
--
Team
Discovery

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
Well I had to leave the house for the night. How screwed am I?
--

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to SuperNet9
Never ever ever run setting compound (hot mud) down household plumbing. That stuff sets up like concrete and once it drys (under 2 hours) no amount of water will break it loose. At this point you can only hope it wasn't enough to cause a clog. Make sure to tell your brother in law not to ever do that again.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
Where would it make the clog? The kitchen pipe or where i can't get to it?
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

According to Murphy's Law, where ever it's the most expensive...
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

Under the lowest point under the floor or concrete slab. Can become very expensive fast. Hope your BIL has deep pockets.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
I don't think it was much, I hope.

So am I screwed?
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to SuperNet9
You're not screwed. Your idiot brother in law might be.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bbrcat
said by bbrcat:

,,,maybe not with the Draino, but flush that puppy with HOT water.

Hot water makes mud set much faster. As for Drano, I would not use it as I'm not sure what the chemical reaction would produce? They use vinyl polymers in joint compounds nowadays to improve spreadability which may have an adverse reaction?
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by SuperNet9:

I don't think it was much, I hope.

So am I screwed?

Well, test your drain. Fill up buckets of water and flush it down the drain, see if it seems to be slow.

You might now feel a difference now, but the problem could be that the compound hardened to form a barrier that catches stuff coming down the drain (like hair), which over time could build up to a real problem.

said by dolphins:

As for Drano, I would not use it as I'm not sure what the chemical reaction would produce? They use vinyl polymers in joint compounds nowadays to improve spreadability which may have an adverse reaction?

There's always a ton of random crap in sewer pipes. Let Drano do it's drano...

but since Supernet9 let the compound dry, he's now only got snaking as an option.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Again, that's not a good idea. Drano when mixed with other chemicals can form highly toxic gas clouds or even be explosive.

Have you ever heard of a Drano bomb? »newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/13/···o-bombs/
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

So am I screwed?

No one but yourself can answer the question - we don't have to the hardware or know how much was sent down. You are the only one who can determine if you\BIL are screwed
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to SuperNet9
Nothing bad will happen.
The hardening process is a chemical reaction, it's not because of drying. If enough water was flushed then it was washed away and the leftovers (if any) will soon be flushed as well.
Too much water drastically reduces the strength of plaster (and cement based products too). Flushing with water will at most leave behind a very weak paste.
Also the hot water advice was BAAAADDD... Heat speeds the hardening process.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

Where you can't get to it

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

1 recommendation

reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

My brother in law cleaned out his mud pan in my kitchen sink that had some fresh durabondo down the sink.

I do wonder: how is it that SO MANY OF US have sisters who marry complete dolts????

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 recommendations

said by laserfan:

I do wonder: how is it that SO MANY OF US have sisters who marry complete dolts????

They marry guys who remind them of their brothers.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
said by Bob4:

said by laserfan:

They marry guys who remind them of their brothers.

Oh man--- That is ultimately the smackdown of the year!!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to SuperNet9
NEVER USE DRAINO!

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
said by The Pig:

NEVER USE DRAINO!

\I don't know about never.

But for sure not in this case.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9
Have a plumber come and scope the drain - from the sink all the way to the street - at your brother-in-law's expense.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag
I was able to personally deliver a smackdown not long ago.

My sister's husband is always looking for someone to do his job for him. After about 3 years of my sister asking for a new garbage disposal he finally installed it, well, not quite...

My sister calls me at 9:pm on a Saturday night to ask for yet another favor because that's what spineless worms do, they ask someone else to call for a favor. Now, they live quite a bit away from me and I have to pay the AC Expressway toll to get there but he has never once offered so much as a dime. As it turns out they've had a clog for quite some time so the sink and dishwasher drain very slowly. The dishwasher must have filled the sink when used? The loser says, “It's been that way for a few years” and he thought the new disposal would magically clear the matter up. I couldn't snake the clog from under the sink as the clog was much further down the line so I found a clean-out in the basement ceiling along with some code violations but that's for another thread.

So I'm up on a ladder slowly unscrewing the 3” clean-out while I have him holding up a 5 gallon bucket directly underneath. I open the clean-out just enough to get a nice steady flow. After the bucket is about a 3rd of the way full he starts complaining about the weight. So I reach up to close it off when the cap pops off and everything in the pipe comes out like a fire hose. He drops the bucket and further drenches himself while screaming for my sister to come down. He is now covered in 3 years worth of crap, food waste, etc. At this point I'm laughing so hard I nearly fell off the ladder. I managed to climb down unscathed except for dirty hands and shoes. I tell him that now we need to snake the pipe. He wipes himself down with some dirty towels sitting by the washing machine. I cleared the pipe and tell him to take the snake outside, spray it with the hose and wrap it back up.

As I'm leaving I tell him I have no change for the toll just to see his reaction. As usual the bum doesn't even offer a handshake. I found out about a week later that he told my sister to clean the mess then he showered and went to bed. I offered to throw him out on the street but she says she needs his measly somewhat sporadic paycheck.
--

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
said by dolphins:

As I'm leaving I tell him I have no change for the toll just to see his reaction. As usual the bum doesn't even offer a handshake. I found out about a week later that he told my sister to clean the mess then he showered and went to bed. I offered to throw him out on the street but she says she needs his measly somewhat sporadic paycheck.

You can pick your friends but you have to live with your relatives.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to dolphins
OT:

Is this the same fine individual who let his black lab (with long nails) tap dance across your freshly refinished hardwood floors?

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Actually, that was a blood relative. You can't pick your brothers either.

You have a great memory, BTW.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to dolphins
Next time they ask you for a favor, tell them to call a plumber.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins
said by dolphins:

I was able to personally deliver a smackdown not long ago.

*snip*

Sweet story, bro! I howled! What a loser, though... I feel for your sis.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

2 edits
reply to SuperNet9
My ex in-laws were incapable but nice peop;e. Helpful, energetic, not cheap. When I started there was no stop.

They probabably say I'm demanding, don't listen enough ,micro focused, not cheap and I get the job done somehow.

I don't take on big jobs now very often without a good cause.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I'd pour draino as well ASAP before whatever is left in there start to harden.

Draino being lye based will not touch the mud, muriatic acid will cut it but not knowing what makes up the OP’s drainage system I would not recommend using either.

Now if the drainage system is PVC and there is no septic tank then acid can be used to dissolve the mud even if has setup, I have used is few times to clear PVC conduit where the slab guys have managed to get their cement into the conduit.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…