spc
uniqs
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: CallCentric Inbound CID-CNAM Report

There would be no difference. If the number is in your phonebook, Callcentric would not do a database lookup and instead use whatever you have in your phonebook.

For for instance, if the CNAM database has "SMITH JOE" for a certain number, but instead, you have "Uncle Joe" in your Callcentric phonebook, you will see "Uncle Joe" no matter what setting you have set.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That doesn't answer my question. I don't use the callcentric phonebook. If I have the setting turned off, what shows up on the screen. If I have the setting turned on, what do I see?
gweidenh
Houston, TX

gweidenh

said by Mike Wolf:

That doesn't answer my question. I don't use the callcentric phonebook. If I have the setting turned off, what shows up on the screen. If I have the setting turned on, what do I see?

i misread your question

If you have no phonebook entries and CNAM disabled, you would just get the phone number of the caller "555-555-1212".

If you have no phonebook entires and CNAM is enabled, Callcentric would do a database lookup and send the caller name "SMITH JOE" instead
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704 to gweidenh

Premium Member

to gweidenh
Post now irrelevant.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Post now irrelevant.

WHOSE Elephant ?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by PX Eliezer704:

Post now irrelevant.

WHOSE Elephant ?

Y'know, I was considering going with that but I didn't want to make a flap.

----------------------------------------------

For those who have no idea what we're talking about:

Chicolini: Now I aska you one. What has a trunk, but no key, weighs 2,000 pounds and lives in a circus?

Prosecutor: That's irrelevant.

Chicolini: Irrelephant? Hey, that'sa that answer. There's a whole lot of irrelephants in the circus.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt002 ··· 9/quotes
Marx Brothers' Duck Soup

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to gweidenh

to gweidenh
ah ok. so your saying that no name at all would show up if the feature is disabled? Not even a default like a state?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

ah ok. so your saying that no name at all would show up if the feature is disabled? Not even a default like a state?

As I said a few stories up:
said by PX Eliezer704:

Disabled: There will not be any caller ID name, only the caller ID number. The place for the name will be blank, such as [ ].

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I always thought that if the information wasn't there it would come up like "Unknown" or "Unavailable" or something. Sorry.
gweidenh
Houston, TX

gweidenh to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

"VERIZON WIRELESS" and "BROOKLYN NY" are still CNAM database lookups. Just instead of a persons name, the database only includes generic information such as the phone service of the customer or city.

If you disable CNAM lookup through Callcentric, you wont do a database lookup and wont get this information. Instead, you will just see the callers phone number.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I always thought that if the information wasn't there it would come up like "Unknown" or "Unavailable" or something. Sorry.

Now that you mention it, back in the dark days (2008 and earlier), when I paid exorbitant monthly tithes (I THINK that's the word) to Bell Canada, THEIR Call Display sometimes would show the correct number of an incoming call, but the name would be something like 'Unknown'.

This tended to happen mostly with calls from cell subscribers who were not with Rogers (Rogers supported full outbound CID pretty early on as they used GSM - and GSM apparently supports full CID), or sometimes telemarketers and other such slime, where the first clue was often a toll-free number anyway.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to gweidenh

Premium Member

to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

said by Mike Wolf:

ah ok. so your saying that no name at all would show up if the feature is disabled ?

Not even a default like a state ?

"VERIZON WIRELESS" and "BROOKLYN NY" are still CNAM database lookups. Just instead of a persons name, the database only includes generic information such as the phone service of the customer or city.

If you disable CNAM lookup through Callcentric, you wont do a database lookup and wont get this information. Instead, you will just see the caller's phone number.

Exactly.

The only other time when you MIGHT see more than the number (in theory) could be if the caller's line was broadcasting full CID with CNAM, and your provider was also configured to ACCEPT that and to NOT do a lookup whenever accepting that.

However, the concensus so far in this thread is that configuration for this kind of 'Middle Ground' scenario is NOT possible with CallCentric.

I think that VOIP.MS handles it that way (gotta recheck that), but then again, they DO CHARGE for doing a lookup (.8 cents of US funds per incoming call), so they really OUGHT to only do one if nothing usable was coming in, plus nothing in your portal phonebook, for each number in question.

EDIT : to edit and add info about VOIP.MS :

»www.voip.ms/specifications.php
Look under DID numbers > Extras
It states the price per lookup/dip/query.

»wiki.voip.ms/article/Caller_ID
Scroll down for incoming section

Do those explain whether or not that 'Middle Ground' scenario can or will happen at VOIP.ms ?

Youse all tell me.

EDIT : Well, the text at that last linked page (Incoming Calls section) does start off like this :
quote:
You will receive the Caller ID number and Caller ID name that the voip.ms server receives from the caller,

(my added italics)

What think ye all ?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Yeah I remember those titles because of all the time I spent with my grandfather who loved his caller ID service and I remember reading all the instruction manuals for them where they would have different display titles, like "Private Name" and/or "Private Number" or "Name Withheld" and/or "Number Withheld" for unlisted callers and "Unknown Name" and or "Unknown Number" or just "Unknown" when the caller does not wish to share the information. Now in regards to the Telemarkers, I've actually seen caller ID info come in with "the name of the company or even just the town and state but instead of a 1800 number there would only be the number 1 and thats it.

tyrus
@spcsdns.net

tyrus to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
But a lot depends on your upstream.

If you are connected to a major provider, they may do the database lookup or not, and pass it.

As companies grow, they need to lookup less often ATT is in a dozen states, and Verizon is too, so they have a large pool.

Some lookup from the other provider. I guess that has the lookup fee too.

Pretty much any all sbc and bell south would not lookup out of area. They don't want to pay the fee.... Even though the terminating company gets the connection fee (unless its reciprocal ... Normally only local?)

Some of the companies always look it up I.e. most of the voip providers do. And you can too.

Often only once a month or so. The first time it may not appear due to lookup delays (or not wanting to pay the fee) but then it is in the system/local database till it expires. So the second time a person calls it may appear.

Calls from Sprint cell phones give the name, but ma bell (att & some others) won't show it because Sprint won't show the names. A few others also send the name (some cricket switches? One of the companies ATT bought had it setup.) Of course, there argument is now kinda valid. We have smart phones why can't the name be passed to PCS users.