Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Re: CallCentric Inbound CID-CNAM Report

said by Mike Wolf:

So if I have no names in my Callcentric phonebook, what differences would I see between enabling the option and disabling the option on a side by side comparison?

Enabled: You will see the caller ID name, such as [Olive & Cole Oyl] or [Elzie Segar], as supplied by the LIDB company. However, some names won't come up, as has been noted above, such as most Verizon Wireless customers and some Canadian subjects.

-----------------------

Disabled: There will not be any caller ID name, only the caller ID number. The place for the name will be blank, such as [ ].

Thus, disabling gives results in line with:

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

"Antigonish" by William Hughes Mearns

"The little men who weren't there...."

"Russian Rhapsody"
(1944 Warner Brothers Merrie Melodies animated short subject)
(aka "Gremlins from the Kremlin")

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Mike Wolf:

So if I have no names in my Callcentric phonebook, what differences would I see between enabling the option and disabling the option on a side by side comparison?

Enabled: You will see the caller ID name, such as [Olive & Cole Oyl] or [Elzie Segar], as supplied by the LIDB company. However, some names won't come up, as has been noted above, such as most Verizon Wireless customers and some Canadian subjects....

Actually, would it not display [Olive & Cole Oy] ? (the first 15 characters of your example)

OY !
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Actually, would it not display [Olive & Cole Oy] ? (the first 15 characters of your example)....

Yes, I always keep thinking that CNAM is 16 characters instead of 15.

My mistake. I prefer even numbers, especially when the even number is a square. A little bit of Ordinal-linguistic personification (OLP).
»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub ··· 17381259
»news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8248589.stm

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
Thanks for your colourful poetic response.
I don't know whats up with Verizon Wireless because even when I had Verizon for my phone service it still came up with "WIRELESS CALLER" and the phone number, although in the past it would come up as "NEW JERSEY" and the phone number.
Mike Wolf

1 edit

Mike Wolf to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Just be careful because it would really depend on the physical hardware displaying the information. If it's a fixed pixel display like this »rsk.imageg.net/graphics/ ··· w345.jpg there would only be room for as many pixel blocks as physically located on the screen, so if it had more then 15 characters the excess would be cut off. If the screen is a dynamic full pixel TFT display like on the Gigaset »gigaset.com/medias/sys_m ··· 2dpi.jpg and Panansonic's »hotcellularphone.com/wp- ··· tis-.jpg it's still possible for the characters to be cut off based on the proportional font issue as Dave's mentioned. »Re: [Equipment] What's up with crippled Gigaset C610H (US/CAN)