uniqs
share rss forum feed

rizwan602

join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ

1 edit

Using Droid Razr with ICS (ice cream sandwich) w/o sim card

Hello,

A while ago I bought a new out of box (but unused/unactivated) Verizon labelled Droid Razr phone to use with Cricket. I got it flashed to Cricket, and it worked but not great. Droid/Verizon sent the ICS update and the phone un-flashed itself. At that time I abandoned the idea of using Cricket because it sucked anyway.

I went with T-Mobile and got a new phone.

So I want to use this Droid Razr as a media player on WIFI only. But now when I turn on the phone it says no SIM card and won't let me get past it.

There are no "screen tricks" that work anymore. Rumor has it that touching the Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Right and Bottom Left of the screen bypassed the SIM prompt. But that was before ice cream sandwich was sent out. Now with ICS its not working.

What are my options here? A screen trick or some simple ways to get around it or to buy a sim card but not activate it. Will a sim card get me anywhere or is this thing just a paperweight now for me?

Help please!

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
First, how/why did your phone accept a VZW OTA update if it was on Cricket's network ?

Second, try calling VZW and asking them for the unlock code. Can't hurt to ask...

rizwan602

join:2004-03-20
Gilbert, AZ
Well it was on Android 2.3 and it must have made a data connection through the edge broadband connection over Cricket and downloaded ICS. I didn't even ask for it to go ahead and update it. It just said it was available and if left unprompted it will download in 10 minutes. It sure did and undid all the flashing and restarted itself as if it was opened out of the box, except with Android 4.06 (i think) on it.

Now I have an almost bricked phone...

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
What ROM were you using ? Whoever made it seemingly left off a minor detail.... that is, making sure the device can't authenticate on VZW's network. I wonder how many users of that ROM have similarly bricked phones now too ?

rblenkhorn
Premium
join:2003-07-15
Bangor, ME
reply to rizwan602
perhaps buy a sim card from verizon for it and then you could 'activate' it to use it for media player. If it was reflashed to ICS it probably will take any verizon 4g sim card.