spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fs483
join:2012-08-16
Saint-Laurent, QC

fs483

Are panel Interlocks permitted in Quebec

I was going to do make some holes in my basement wall to pass some coax cables and was thinking of putting a connector to hook up a generator should the need arise. In the US, the Interlock kits are legal. These interlock kits (www.interlockkit.com) are basically a physical plate that you mount onto your existing breaker panel that will force you to turn off the main breaker in order to allow the generator to feed the panel through a seperate breaker. This lock avoids the generator backfeeding into the electric grid and injuring a lineman. The reverse also is true, your generator is protected if the electric grid is repowered up. Installing a generator panel is an alternative solution, albeit more pricey are more work involved. I don't even own a generator yet but let say some natural disaster happens (have had a couple of bad storms recently and not counting the ice storm we had a few years go where some people were without power for weeks), I would like to be prepared. Also, my sump pump runs on electricity and I got a city sewer just in front of my driveway! I do have deep cycle batteries and a inverter powering my sump pump at all times.

Thank you,
anthony

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo

Before searching for if you're allowed, did you look for if that's even an option with your panel?

If not, you'll have to go to the generator panel / transfer switch option.

Home Depot carriers a couple of models for under 200$
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to fs483

to fs483
call an electrician, there are a few in your area that i know of who specialize in generator installs, so if the chance an interlock could sell a genny they would have them, so call and ask if they have em.

as for transfer switches, the depot has a good selection, mostly square D and siemons now. They have recently stopped selling federal pioneer stab lok panels so they are a little pricier than they once were.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to fs483

Premium Member

to fs483
said by fs483:

I don't even own a generator yet but let say some natural disaster happens (have had a couple of bad storms recently and not counting the ice storm we had a few years go where some people were without power for weeks), I would like to be prepared.

Do you plan to buy one? Good luck finding a generator to buy or rent during a major emergency. They'll all be gone before you know it.

To be prepared, you have to buy one before you actually need it.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

I assume he plans to buy one.

Yes, DON'T try to buy one just before you need it, you will not get one, you'll have to fight with people to buy one or best case you will have to settle for cheap crap.

Also if you're using a gasoline generator make sure you get the gas cans BEFORE you need it. You would not believe how fast they sell out. That and D batteries.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by fifty nine:

Yes, DON'T try to buy one just before you need it, you will not get one, you'll have to fight with people to buy one or best case you will have to settle for cheap crap.

Also if you're using a gasoline generator make sure you get the gas cans BEFORE you need it. You would not believe how fast they sell out. That and D batteries.

He lives in a big city. If he has no power, it USUALLY would only be VERY local and he'd have 50 thousand stores around to go buy what he needs.

The ice storm he mentioned (a couple of years ago) was actually 14 years ago
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

50 thousand stores

50,000 stores and 10,000,000 people all wanting to buy the same things.

(yes, this is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point)
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to fs483

to fs483
You will also want to make sure that the generator you purchase is compatible with an interlock. Some generators have GFI's that protect the 240 Volt Outlet and tend to trip out unless you have an isolated neutral which an interlock does not provide. Occasionally there is a post in this forum requesting information on how to resolve those GFI issues.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Mr Matt:

You will also want to make sure that the generator you purchase is compatible with an interlock. Some generators have GFI's that protect the 240 Volt Outlet and tend to trip out unless you have an isolated neutral which an interlock does not provide. Occasionally there is a post in this forum requesting information on how to resolve those GFI issues.

that is an issue that is addressed in Alkizmo's Federal Pioneer switch, has a neutral breaker tied to the hots. the square D ones that i have seen dont switch the neutrals

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by fifty nine:

He lives in a big city. If he has no power, it USUALLY would only be VERY local and he'd have 50 thousand stores around to go buy what he needs.

The ice storm he mentioned (a couple of years ago) was actually 14 years ago

Don't count on it. In NYC before Irene all of the stores I went to, the shelves were EMPTY! No D batteries to be found, neither bread, milk nor eggs!

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by fifty nine:

Don't count on it. In NYC before Irene all of the stores I went to, the shelves were EMPTY! No D batteries to be found, neither bread, milk nor eggs!

I've spent a few weeks in NYC before, over there it's more of a minimum inventory Just-In-Time system. A simple unexpected increase in demand can throw off that whole system

It's a different story here. Lots of large bulk quantity stores that carry way too much supply. What happens is that you'll end up with less choices, such as only the more expensive brands are left, or you have too small or too big generators.

I wonder why people bought milk and eggs before Irene. Milk spoils if not kept cool, eggs can't be eaten without being cooked I KNOW!! The STORES didn't want to carry any of those things because they were afraid their refrigerators wouldn't get power! AH! See?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by alkizmo:

I wonder why people bought milk and eggs before Irene.

Let's assume that the same number of people go food shopping every day. Today is Sunday, so let's say that the weather forecast predicts a hurricane (or snowstorm!) tomorrow. So everyone who would normally go food shopping on Monday is going to go shopping today. That means twice as many people as normal will go shopping today. Of course the stores don't have twice the amount of milk, etc., available today, so they're likely to run out of items.

It's not people stocking up on items. It just that some people go shopping earlier than normal.

Hurricanes aren't really a big deal around here. Snowstorms cause a much greater disruption.

Note for Quebecers: A snowstorm here is 3" or more in a 12 hour period. (Yeah, stop laughing.)
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I wonder why people bought milk and eggs before Irene. Milk spoils if not kept cool, eggs can't be eaten without being cooked

After Andrew we where collecting supplies to transfer down to Homestead where in many cases all the people there had left was the foundation of what was once their home and one of the strangest donations we received was a few dozen cases of microwave popcorn.

Now if a person no longer has a home they probably don’t have a microwave and even if they did the power would not be restored for at least a month.

Great intentions just not well thought out.

Wayne
fs483
Saint-Laurent, QC

fs483 to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
I asked an electrician that was doing work at a customer business site and he had never heard of such a thing. He does install generator transfer panels from time to time. He mostly does commercial work.
fs483

fs483 to TheMG

to TheMG
Yes will be buying one but trying to go one step at a time.
fs483

fs483 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
Yeah big city means squat. Yeah the ice storm was a while but it's good remininder (time flies by) but I still remember the cold, the damage both to the house and pocket. I was without power for 1 week. Still minor compared to some people I knew. Just this week, an underground transformer blew in my city. Knocked out a couple of city block traffic lights. Traffic was a NIGHTMARE during morning rush hour. Imagine taking 30 minutes to drive 500 meters! McDonalds had to bring in a huge genny from Hydro-Quebec. It's actually still in their parking lot after 2 days. Power is back but don't know if it's supplied by the genny.
fs483

fs483 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
Hmm, didn't know that. I was thinking one of those gennys manufactured by Champion...
fs483

fs483 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
Ah at least I can cook. I have a small burner that runs on small gas cylinders. Not those for camping. The ones that are used for chinese hot pots... As for keeping things cool... I do have a mini bar fridge, a large 3000W inverter and a deep cycle battery (planning on getting a second one once I go to Ottawa). Right now the inverter powers the sump pump. Small insurance in case of short power failures and stormy weather which seems to happen more and more often lately. Huge rainfall in a short period. I have a city sewer right in front of my below street level garage.
fs483

fs483 to 49528867

to 49528867
a tin foil and lighter (with lots of butane) can get that popcorn ready for a night under the stairs... Kidding aside... Disaster and it's damage can happen in all shapes and form. Someone without power but with a bbq (outside) can still feast on the popcorn and keep the kids settle down. Marshmellows would be easier.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to fs483

MVM

to fs483
said by fs483:

I asked an electrician that was doing work at a customer business site and he had never heard of such a thing. He does install generator transfer panels from time to time. He mostly does commercial work.

Are you sure he's a real electrician? If he is; he is not very experienced or knowledgeable.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to fs483

Premium Member

to fs483
said by fs483:

Hmm, didn't know that. I was thinking one of those gennys manufactured by Champion...

Most generators have the neutral and ground bonded at the frame - that's an issue for using one with a panel and interlock setup, rather then a full transfer switch. It's a pretty simple fix - usually just a matter of removing a jumper strap; but it is something to be aware of...

Champion is cheap crap. I've got two with choke and carb issues... I'd suggest throwing a little more money at the problem, and getting a nicer unit. Just my opinion...
fs483
Saint-Laurent, QC

fs483 to whizkid3

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

said by fs483:

Are you sure he's a real electrician? If he is; he is not very experienced or knowledgeable.

Well on an unrelated case, I had an RBQ electrical inspector (Quebec Building Inspector) do an checkup on work done by a master electrician in one our buildings and I asked if those interlock kits were legal or not. He asked me to send him the link and will have a look at it tomorrow when he's back in the office. He will be the definate person able to give me the yea or nay.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by fs483:

He asked me to send him the link and will have a look at it tomorrow when he's back in the office.

Then he'll bill you