spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

WPIX is Gone

Amazing, nobody watches the channel. Cablevision put Style channel on in it's place.

»cablevision.com/tribune/

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

Mets play Saturday and Sunday on WPIX. Wonder what they're going to do.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Cablevision is pathetic and disgusting here.
That site uses "hedge funds" the way Fox News uses "liberals", as a derogatory term. :/

And it's idiotic that there's a transmission dispute about OTA channels.

Man this industry so needs a la carte model!

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

said by MxxCon:

Man this industry so needs a la carte model!

^^Definitely.

What would be funny would be if they gave them money per VIEWER instead of per subscriber.

StudioTech
Off The Air
join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

StudioTech to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Surprised nothing was written about beforehand. Normally you hear about these disputes well before the deadline.
StudioTech

StudioTech to MxxCon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

And it's idiotic that there's a transmission dispute about OTA channels.

Blame Congress for introducing Retransmission Consent 20 years ago.
GolfDude
join:2004-01-29
East Islip, NY

GolfDude to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
yep its a dispute.. they are running a crawl on ch 11 now about it
svgtom
join:2012-08-04
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Antenna TV is also gone since that was broadcast under 11.4.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to MxxCon

to MxxCon
Judge confirms Tribune Co. plan to emerge from bankruptcy

»investing.businessweek.c ··· cker=JPM

"Most important, it will allow the Federal Communications Commission to move forward on the company's application to transfer its TV and radio broadcast licenses to the new owners -- the last big hurdle in a case that has dragged on for 3 ½ years.

Tribune Co. will also be able to accelerate work on a litany of other administrative and financial matters that need to be completed before it can emerge from bankruptcy. Those include reshaping its corporate structure and nailing down $1.1 billion in new debt financing and a $300 million line of credit.

Sources say the members of new ownership group -- which include Oaktree, fellow distressed debt investor Angelo, Gordon & Co. and lender JPMorgan Chase -- are still mulling candidates for board seats and the CEO slot and have yet to set a clear game plan for what to do with their new investment."

It would seem that if this is entirely on Tribune's new investors as Cablevision is claiming they've decided atleast a part of that game plan. I agree with you as well Mxxcon that OTA channels shouldn't ever be disputed and should be kept seperate from channel bundling contracts.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
The link goes to a list that claims that the WPIX shows are also available from other channels/sources. My question is if the WPIX feeds are the same episodes as on the other sources or just the same series. IOW: If show1 is listed as also on sourcex will tuning into sourcex show me the same episode as WPIX just aired or some other episode? I know that if sourcex is HULU then aside from the HULU delay embargo (you have to wait x days to see a first run episode) the answer is yes. My question is about the other sources as well as if WPIX runs ANYTHING first run (aside of course NEWS and Sports) or only reruns of prior aired series.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Jmartz0

MVM

to Jmartz0
Well, this is kind of sucky. I really like Antenna TV. I'm sure they will work out an agreement soon. Unfortunately I can't get either channel with my OTA antenna like I can with Fox and ABC.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to RARPSL

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

The link goes to a list that claims that the WPIX shows are also available from other channels/sources. My question is if the WPIX feeds are the same episodes as on the other sources or just the same series.

afaik other than Maury and Jerry, none of those shows premier on ch11, so they are reruns. Family Guy and Southpark aren't even in HD.

BadCVinBK
@optonline.net

BadCVinBK to Jmartz0

Anon

to Jmartz0
WPIX is and WEMP (FM News 101.9) was openly friendly to broadcasting uncomfortable truthts about legislators, law enforcement and the financial industry. i.e. the kind of stuff you don't hear on any other broadcast stations. It's comes as no shock to me that JP Morgan Chase has silenced WEMP (switched to Alternative Rock) and has pulled WPIX from DirecTV and Cablevision. Thankfully I still have my rabbit ears so channel 11 comes in just fine. Who knows if the WPIX can stay afloat without Cable and Satellite revenue though.

If you've ever heard Lionel's segments on either station, you'll know that JP Morgan Chase has a dark agenda here. Lionel covered things like The Hypermilitarization of the Police, Globalism: The Metastatic Financial Cancer, Thought Police And Kids and much more. It wasn't just Lionel though. WPIX had several investigative reporters that were a constant thorn in the side of many government and private agencies here in New York.

Before it goes down, take a look at Lionel's blog @ »www.wpix.com/news/blogs/lionel/

ioioio
@optonline.net

ioioio to mbernste

Anon

to mbernste
I receive antenna tv ota no problem. you might not have a big enough antenna and if you do you may need to add an amp and make sure all the equipment is rated 5mhz to 1ghz. I have 3 sets with ota and comes in on all tv's. and 1 run is 200' away
svgtom
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Cablevision's website indicates "The outrageous demands of Tribune and the Wall Street hedge funds and banks that now own it have blacked out WPIX Channel 11 and other stations Tribune owns on Cablevision."

Other than WPIX and AntennaTV, have any other stations been blacked out?

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

said by svgtom:

Cablevision's website indicates "The outrageous demands of Tribune and the Wall Street hedge funds and banks that now own it have blacked out WPIX Channel 11 and other stations Tribune owns on Cablevision."

Other than WPIX and AntennaTV, have any other stations been blacked out?

There are a couple of local affiliates in Denver and Philadelphia (not positive on the locales) that also went dark.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Right. Tribune is not a big player in cable networks (like CBS or NBC is). WGN America is the only major cable network that comes to mind where Tribune is the big stakeholder.

Tradewind
Premium Member
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

1 recommendation

Tradewind to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
OMG! No Yule Log this Christmas.

GumbyLives
@snet.net

GumbyLives to Jmartz0

Anon

to Jmartz0
I like supernatural and my wife likes the secret circle.
Other than those things I dont watch much on that channel.
svgtom
Middlesex, NJ

svgtom to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
And of course, if you go the the AntennaTV website, they blame Cablevision.

»www.keepantennatv.com/ke ··· tennatv/

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

said by svgtom:

And of course, if you go the the AntennaTV website, they blame Cablevision.

»www.keepantennatv.com/ke ··· tennatv/

From same website:
"Cablevision took this action despite our unconditional offer to extend the current retransmission agreement with no change in its terms while negotiations continued.

To be clear, Cablevision pulled AntennaTV off the air in the middle of the night, without notice and while our current agreement was still in place. Rather than continuing to negotiate, Cablevision pulled AntennaTV off the air, trying to mislead loyal AntennaTV viewers and intimidate AntennaTV."

Sounds about right

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by captnhook:

Cablevision took this action despite our unconditional offer to extend the current retransmission agreement with no change in its terms while negotiations continued.

What you neglected to mention was that it was only until August 24th as per their letter to Cablevision. Cablevision called their bluff and pulled it rather than be held hostage. I'm on Cablevision's side on this one.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
I really don't understand this industry.

Why don't the OTA channels agree to have cable operators retransmit their content with no money changing hands, so long as it is transmitted in full without changes?

The OTA channels get additional ad revenue by reaching more viewers. The cable operators provide added content for their subscribers.

Isn't the OTA business model ad-supported?

Cablevision doesn't pay google, microsoft, yahoo, aol, or other websites to "carry" their content (websites) for their internet subscribers.

Maybe the OTA ad-supported model no longer works - it was fine when there were between 2 and 20 options in a market. But with hundreds, ad-supported no longer works? Or maybe their content just sucks.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to BadCVinBK

Premium Member

to BadCVinBK
said by BadCVinBK :

WPIX is and WEMP (FM News 101.9) was openly friendly to broadcasting uncomfortable truthts about legislators, law enforcement and the financial industry. i.e. the kind of stuff you don't hear on any other broadcast stations. It's comes as no shock to me that JP Morgan Chase has silenced WEMP (switched to Alternative Rock)....

The guy who ran the company that runs WEMP was actually kicked out by Tribune a while ago.
»mediadecoder.blogs.nytim ··· tations/

I don't know that WEMP's news format was the victim of politics, but rather of no one listening to them.

I only listened to them because the damn NY Yankees hijack WCBS Newsradio 880 all damn summer for their stupid baseball games. Why do they have to hijack our news station? Let them play baseball on WOR or WABC or some such!

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to jaa

Premium Member

to jaa
I totally agree with you Jaa. It's all about greed and more money. The free OTA stations have been charging cable operators the last few years for retransmitting their channels. You would think they would be happy to get more customers. Plus, every time the contract expires they want even more money, even more than what some cable channels charge. All these channels are free OTA, it makes abosoluely no sense. It's way out of hand and it's the biggest reason the last few years for all the cable price hikes, but the cable companies have to give into them because then they would look like the bad guy not carrying certain channels.

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook to mbernste

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by captnhook:

Cablevision took this action despite our unconditional offer to extend the current retransmission agreement with no change in its terms while negotiations continued.

What you neglected to mention was that it was only until August 24th as per their letter to Cablevision. Cablevision called their bluff and pulled it rather than be held hostage. I'm on Cablevision's side on this one.

Hadn't seen that letter until now but we still could have had another week of Antenna TV before it got pulled or maybe even had a further extension while they negotiated.
I agree with Jaa you'd think an agreement on retransmission could be worked out where their signal is carried at no cost but is broadcast in it's entirety.
Believe me neither Tribune nor Cablevision are on my friends list.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to jaa

to jaa
said by jaa:

Isn't the OTA business model ad-supported?

Cablevision doesn't pay google, microsoft, yahoo, aol, or other websites to "carry" their content (websites) for their internet subscribers.

That's a good analogy, except OTAs bitch that cablecos charge for broadcastbasic, and they want that cut..

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Broadcast stations are already carried in their entirety. There are no ads inserted by the cable cos. It's possible that some ads are bartered as part of the overall retransmission agreement though.

Just to give you the other side of the coin (not my opinion), broadcasters complain that they have to compete with advertiser supported cable networks like ESPN, TNT, FX, USA, etc., who also receive compensation on top of advertising revenue. And the broadcasters also complain that they would be unable to compete against them unless they were similarly compensated.

We all know that this will get settled and we will all get stuck with the bill. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Jmartz0

MVM

to Jmartz0
According to WPIX's site, unlike the other stations, they never asked for money to rebroadcast their channels and the dispute is that they're now asking for money.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Jmartz0

Premium Member

to Jmartz0
For those of us on Broadcast Basic, that's two essential channels (since there aren't that many to begin with) that are gone. Wonder if CV is going to replace them, or knock a few pennies off the package price?

LOL - maybe they'll give us NTDTV and we can watch the English-subtitled Korean dramas.