share rss forum feed

LLStarks
I've been here a while
Premium
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY
reply to kickass69

Re: WPIX is Gone

I'm more disappointed about the loss of CW programming blocks than WPIX itself.

They had a very nice Saturday morning line-up for kids.
--
I know before you even speak that you're wrong.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Are you able to get the broadcast (OTA) signal in Roslyn?

SirQAM

@verizon.net
reply to LLStarks

said by LLStarks:

I only watched WPIX for 3AM Star Trek.

Star Trek has been off WPIX for about ten years and probably longer than that. In this market, it was last on WNBC overnights for a brief period of time.

But discussing the classic TV shows that used to air on WPIX brings back memories, and I'm in my 30s. It really is offensive that WPIX points to its past when trying to justify why their present schedule is worth how ever many "pennies" per subscriber they are trying to extract from Cablevision. Yet they don't air any of the shows from their past except once a year.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Actually, the remastered Star Trek TOS was on WPIX overnight until about a year ago.

RayGeode

join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Jmartz

I and a few of my friends enjoy Kaity Tong. Lionel is also pretty good. I flipped over to Fox 5 NY news just to see what they had. The first spot i saw had a graphic mistake using the word TO instead of TOO. The second spot had another mistake in the graphic spelling of STATISTIC, it said STATIC .

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to SirQAM

WPIX had been showing Star Trek: TNG overnights at 3 AM for awhile before letting it ago a year ago.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Has anyone else seen this? If WPIX really wanted to get back on Cablevision, they would agree to Cablevision's terms. The fact that they had to retaliate by pulling Tribune-owned Fox stations off the air in Connecticut, not to mention launch a radio ad campaign smacks of desperation on Tribune's part. I hope they lose and lose big time.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

I wonder how much they spent on that new set. Last time I watched their news they were in their newsroom that looked like crap. My college put on a better newscast back in the day.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

said by Jmartz:

I wonder how much they spent on that new set.

That might explain why they are trying to get Cablevision's subscribers to foot the bill. I remember when they had a great newscast back when they were the "Independent News Network."

Wyldfox

join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT
reply to mbernste

Speaking of Fox, it wasn't available to us last week however I noticed this morning that shows like Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Hotel Hell are available on Free on Demand from those days.

multipass

join:2003-09-26
reply to PX Eliezer7

It's broadcast over VHF (less range than UHF) so unless you have an outdoor antenna, it's going to be tough.
Check antennaweb.org and that will give you an idea how you stack up.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Anyone know what the latest is regarding this dispute? Are they even talking to each other?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Seems like there after the initial blackout and a story or two a week after....nothing at all that I can find or heard about.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Its because nobody cares. Tribune will cave first. Their 10pm news is down 60% in ratings. Other day parts down 40%. In the end they only hurt themselves.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to Jmartz

I haven't seen anything either. There doesn't seem to be anything bringing them to the table. I agree that Tribune eventually caves. They have the most to lose. It does not seem like there's been a big outcry over this.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

Their 10pm news is down 60% in ratings.

I did notice that they are now live streaming their morning news on their web site (or at least did a few days ago when I went there).

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Jmartz

I wonder if Tribune was just a pawn in Cablevision's negotiations with CBS?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

said by mbernste:

I wonder if Tribune was just a pawn in Cablevision's negotiations with CBS?

I'm fine with that. CBS actually has programming that I consider to be of some value. I can't say the same for WPIX.

ilsno

@optonline.net

WPIX was once a great station, back in the 70s through the early 90s they had a lineup that shined. They lost their way when they became affiliated with the WB and CW. I think they are trying to go back to some of that by rebranding the station as WPIX instead of the CW-11 but lets face it, no one is crying about its loss because their programming is not in demand. As far as Im concerned, the only programming I watch on it is Mets baseball and I wont care about that until 2013 as the season is over anyway.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to limegrass69

said by limegrass69:

I'm fine with that. CBS actually has programming that I consider to be of some value.

I have no problem with it either. I just find the timing interesting. I also agree that CBS's channels, especially WCBS have a lot more value than WPIX.

ilsno

@optonline.net

I think Cablevision has about 50,000 subscribers on the Litchfield CT system that will be without FOX this weekend because WTIC was pulled by Tribune and they dont get FOX 5 up there so that leaves them without a Fox affiliate. With the NFL starting up, that potentially could put some added pressure to resolve this but unfortuntately, I bet Cablevision considers 50,000 a small percentage of their customer base that this stale mate continues onward until October and the start of the Fall Season.

Wyldfox

join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT

I haven't had Fox for a couple of weeks now in Milford. This is crazy. Just give me back my NY Fox. I had it here for years along with WTIC out of Hartford, the Fox affiliate. So what next. Because I get ABC out of NY and ABC out of New Haven, will they pull the NYC station? Same with NBC NY and Waterbury. WTF?

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

The CT FOX Station forced Cablevision to remove the NY FOX station in New Haven County, so the FOX NY station made them remove the CT FOX station in Fairfield County. The stations have that right under FCC rules. That won't happen with NBC since they are both O&O stations and I doubt it would happen with ABC since WTNH reaches Fairfield County OTA.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to Wyldfox

said by Wyldfox:

I haven't had Fox for a couple of weeks now in Milford. This is crazy. Just give me back my NY Fox. I had it here for years along with WTIC out of Hartford, the Fox affiliate. So what next. Because I get ABC out of NY and ABC out of New Haven, will they pull the NYC station? Same with NBC NY and Waterbury. WTF?

That's not Cablevision's fault. The Hartford Fox affiliate demanded that Cablevision drop the NY Fox station in New Haven County. The only county in CT that is in the WNYW (NYC) market is Fairfield. So, having Fox outside of New Haven County is subject to the local Fox affiliate's approval (WTIC-TV). Once that happened, the NYC Fox station answered back by demanding that WTIC-TV get dropped in Fairfield County.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jmartz

»www.nypost.com/p/news/business/p···2816WyFL

I don't have cable TV - have an antenna, so I can still watch it if I wanted to. However, all broadcast channels can go dark for all I care. I only ever watch channel 13 and even then not often at all. The concept of having to watch what's on at exact time when it is broadcast (and 1/3 of time is commercials except on PBS) has lost any meaning to me. The faster cable companies turn into dumb internet pipe providers and everything becomes available on demand via internet with option to pay reasonable amount and get rid of the ads the better. Otherwise count me disinterested.

hottie M

@nycboe.org
reply to Jmartz

dont care to much about wpix really just miss Maury and Jerry

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Jmartz

Seems like I was wrong about my prediction. Here it is October 2nd...CW's season premiere night of their primetime lineup and still nothing.

Tribune and the members of their new ownership group -- which include Oaktree, fellow distressed debt investor Angelo, Gordon & Co. and lender JPMorgan Chase are so desperate for money since emerging from bankruptcy and they're willing to take the wrath from CW and over advertisers over this and hold out for as long as it takes losing more money than if they weren't greedy to want money for an OTA station that isn't worth much since atleast 5-6 years ago.

The latest news article I can find about the dispute.

WPIX-Cablevision dispute draws big yawn

»www.northjersey.com/news/1710951···page=all

Not sure if the Remy individual who commented at the bottom wanting PIX back is the same as RemyM who posts here.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

said by kickass69:

Not sure if the Remy individual who commented at the bottom wanting PIX back is the same as RemyM who posts here.

Nope

NightLinks
Premium
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY
reply to Jmartz

I only watch the channel when the honeymooners are on...

ilsno

@optonline.net

Would it surprise anyone if WPIX never returns at this point? Ill be honest I wont care if it doesnt come back until baseball season next year. Antenna TV is missed but WPIX , I wouldnt even pay a cent for it until baseball starts.