Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma

Is there an SLR camera that has wireless connectivity

Hi,
I'd like to find an SLR camera that is easy for an amateur to use but allows wireless connectivity. Either with some cloud service of a PC. The goal is to take pictures, then upload them easily preferably to an always on internet site, or to a always on file LAN file server (can be PC based as I have a windows media server).

Any suggestions? Ease of use, is important. 10 MP or more, and reasonably fast ISO capability are preferred.

I like the Ti3 but don't see a wireless option for it. My goal is to snap shots around the house and have them uploaded in background or at least relatively quickly if I must wait while the upload occurs.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I had already purchased a Ti2 before I gave it much thought and have since decided to go this route: »www.eye.fi/ and in particular this one: »www.eye.fi/products/prox2
--
♬ Music is life ♬

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to pandora
I have a eyefi pro x2 and it works as advertised. I don't think that it's as useful as I thought it would be, however.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
said by jjoshua:

I don't think that it's as useful as I thought it would be, however.

Can you say more about this?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
It's a neat idea to be able to send your pictures wirelessly but it's just as easy to take the memory card out of the camera and move it to the computer.

You'll need to have your computer running the whole time if you want to transfer the files wirelessly as you shoot.

If you're not at home, you could, potentially, be trying to transfer GBs across the internet.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
I usually have my ASUS Transformer (w/80GB) with me, and always in at least sleep mode, where Wifi and background operations like eye-fi, mail polling, and notifications still run.

Should be true on a phone in standby too as long as you don't have WiFi turned off.
--

Hayward
reply to pandora
said by pandora:

Hi,
I'd like to find an SLR camera that is easy for an amateur to use but allows wireless connectivity. Either with some cloud service of a PC.

Don't think I have seen a SLR yet, though there a some higher end P&S ones out there, that have their own proprietary Eye-Fi like system. I forget which now though.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

It's a neat idea to be able to send your pictures wirelessly but it's just as easy to take the memory card out of the camera and move it to the computer.

Well, I certainly won't have my computer with me when I'm thinking of using this

said by jjoshua:

you could, potentially, be trying to transfer GBs across the internet.

Definitely plan on using in conjunction with my iPhone over wifi or 3G (I'm still on a very old grandfathered unlimited data plan... for now).

I should have mine by the end of the month and be out and about using it, I'll post a follow-up then.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
join:2001-10-10
Fremont, CA
reply to pandora
several canon bodies have a grip that has wireless file transmitter instead of holding extra batteries.

»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/s ··· s&sts=ma

If you can't afford a 5d mark II or 7D, they have a grip for the older 40d/50d that you should be able to pick up relatively cheaply.

Only downside is that they cost arm+leg.